Contador final TT bike position at TDF

Bike4Him

Oct 17, 2009
I know it's long over but Contador kept pushing himself back on the saddle all during the final time trial. What's the deal with his position?

Paul Sherwin kept saying, "He's really digging deep and putting in a massive effort...just look at how he keeps pushing back on the saddle." I was thinking...he must have saddle sores or his position is screwed up.

Bike4Him said:
I know it's long over but Contador kept pushing himself back on the saddle all during the final time trial. What's the deal with his position?

Paul Sherwin kept saying, "He's really digging deep and putting in a massive effort...just look at how he keeps pushing back on the saddle." I was thinking...he must have saddle sores or his position is screwed up.

Perhaps he was still getting use to his new TT bike. Contador usually has a great position, enhancing his efficiency on the machine, but he didint' look comfortable like he does in most TT's, such as the 2009 tour when he bested FC. Also, he may have just been spent after a hard race. His cadence didin't look as fast as normal either.

pennstater said:
Perhaps he was still getting use to his new TT bike. Contador usually has a great position, enhancing his efficiency on the machine, but he didint' look comfortable like he does in most TT's, such as the 2009 tour when he bested FC. Also, he may have just been spent after a hard race. His cadence didin't look as fast as normal either.

I think it was the whole fatigue thing, I think he stated as much after the time trial.

He was doing the same thing at the Dauphine in June, where he did a poor TT. The Eurosport guys were saying it was because of his new bike which was recently delievered, that he wasn't used to it or it wasn't set up correctly and that it should be sorted by the Tour but obviously it still happened there as well.

Fatigue, new bike, new position. For a pro you would think this stuff would be worked out before any event, unless the event was entered specifically to get these things worked out.

Bike4Him said:
Fatigue, new bike, new position. For a pro you would think this stuff would be worked out before any event, unless the event was entered specifically to get these things worked out.

I just saw a photo of him in profile on his Specialized TT bike. His body did not look happy. He'd pulled himself up on the nose of the saddle and it just looked like everything on the bike was too big for him.

We'll see what gets changed for next year.