Contador First Victory of the Year 2010

sopas

Jul 20, 2004
Still a long time to go for the TdF, but AC is already showing his potential.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gip7R7R7XNA&translated=1]YouTube - Terza Tappa Volta ao Algarve 2010[/ame]

We'll see if he keeps it up as other racers conditioning comes on the cam. It's a bit too early in the year, I think, to make any credible conclusions.

His attitude towards the races he enters is for respect. Although he truly targets just one race in season, he rides other (preparation) races to win, if it's possible, or at least to show his strength to rivals. I hope he'll develop desire to race and win some classics. That would put him among the greats. He's already great and his attitude promises some more great achievements, but classics would make complete champion of him (in Coppi, Merckx or Hinault sense of the phrase).

I dont know what is on his mind right now, but a couple of months ago he said he could ride a couple of classics this years, and after the TdF depending on how well he finish it, he would ride the Vuelta. We will see.

Yes, I read somewhere that he may ride some Ardennes classics this year, but I don't see the desire for these races yet.
Vuelta could be good choice, I think he needs (at least) another one GT double, but with the Tour.

While winning a Great Tour is no doubt a challenge, in my eyes, that victory or victories is greatly diminished if in the same year, the racer hasn't made a go at the Classics. We need another rider that can win at Paris-Roubaix or the Tour of Flanders, as well as the TdF or the Giro.

I'm not sure if we'll ever again see a rider winning Paris - Roubaix and the Tour in the same season (even in separate seasons is doubtful).
Specialization took massive effect on season planning as well as safety reasons. Flanders is more likely, but far less likely than Ardennes classics.
But I agree that cobbled classics are races where true champion has to prove his quality.

alienator said:
While winning a Great Tour is no doubt a challenge, in my eyes, that victory or victories is greatly diminished if in the same year, the racer hasn't made a go at the Classics. We need another rider that can win at Paris-Roubaix or the Tour of Flanders, as well as the TdF or the Giro.

You're hard to please!! I presume they've got to be clean as well??

An impressive win by AC.

Given that he was not allowed to ride the ITT bike that he wanted to use (broke UCI regulations), he simply got a new bike and got on with it.

Very impressive show of strength.

That was a nice win.

I wonder if Millar fell off during the TT on purpose after hearing from his director that the new HGH test was out and had already nailed someone... ;)

alienator said:

+1 on this it would be nice. Contador might be the man though!!!

Scotttri said:
+1 on this it would be nice. Contador might be the man though!!!

I think realistically that Liege or Lombardy might suit him most but as his season usually ends at the end of July that's Lombardy out of the window!

There's a stage of the Tour with a nice section of Pave - so some of the rougher events may provide some 'nice' training/prep.

One thing no one can accuse Contador of is sandbagging. I like the way this guy races.