Contador - I Will Never Admire Armstrong

williambrown

Jul 23, 2009
It must have been very difficult for Contador; Armstrong against him, Levi against him, Johan wanting Armstrong to win.

The whole world revolves around Lance; gets his own way; arrogant; every decision goes through him. Great rider: Tour de France winner; 7 times; in a row; after cancer. But not a nice person.

You know Lance was only 4th best on the team in the first TT. Contador must have been thinking "Hey what about me?"

Then the spin machine comes out. "Contador did not follow the rules; attacked Kloden." Contador did the right thing; Kloden was cooked. Andy and Frank would have increased the pace at some point and Kloden would have been dropped anyway.

The real Lance is coming out. He is not aging very well.

Alpuerto is a doped up little baby. Is there anyone who likes him? I know Phil and Paul do not. Nor do Levi, Kloden, Lance, Johan, etc.

you might want to look at the big picture which is what lance, johan, levi, andreas and the rest of the team do. alberto probably cost andreas a podium spot and astana a 1,2,3 podium. it's no wonder johan has dumped him. it will be interesting to see where he lands, some speculate a spanish team but i expect we'll see him sucking up to Radio Shack in order to ride at the front again.

No_Positives said:
Alpuerto is a doped up little baby. Is there anyone who likes him? I know Phil and Paul do not. Nor do Levi, Kloden, Lance, Johan, etc.

unless you are either phil (liggett?) or paul (sherwen?), how do you know? same goes for the names you later list. and how can you of all people claim contador is a "doped up little baby" when he's never tested positive for any ped, rides on the same team as the cleanest most tested rider ever, and was hand picked by bruyneel after armstrong had his little "i'm tired of the french not loving me as much as they loved indurain, anquetil, hinault" retirement snit and abandoned bruyneel to his own fate? are you saying that contador is doping behind j.b.'s back?

lhopkins said:
you might want to look at the big picture which is what lance, johan, levi, andreas and the rest of the team do. alberto probably cost andreas a podium spot and astana a 1,2,3 podium. it's no wonder johan has dumped him. it will be interesting to see where he lands, some speculate a spanish team but i expect we'll see him sucking up to Radio Shack in order to ride at the front again.

Hmm, never in my life, I've seen the captain of a team wearing the yellow jersey, pulling the rest of the team, so that they can finish on the 2nd or 3rd spot.

AC DID got the whole picture, and did what he had to do to keep the yellow.

To be honest, I would love to see AC on the saxo bank team :eek:

slovakguy said:
unless you are either phil (liggett?) or paul (sherwen?), how do you know? same goes for the names you later list. and how can you of all people claim contador is a "doped up little baby" when he's never tested positive for any ped, rides on the same team as the cleanest most tested rider ever, and was hand picked by bruyneel after armstrong had his little "i'm tired of the french not loving me as much as they loved indurain, anquetil, hinault" retirement snit and abandoned bruyneel to his own fate? are you saying that contador is doping behind j.b.'s back?

The bitterness from Armstrong about this years tour with regard to Contador stems purely from the fact he (contador) took Armstrong's business model and perfected it. This is over and above the very well established fact Contador was a life long child prodigy of Saiz.

He is not a timetrialler. Its just not physiologically possible IMO. Even when people point to his u23 results you should bear in mind Saiz had the kid from about age 15 or 16. (I stand to be corrected on all of that)

It's shambolic. Armstrong's bitterness is in the fact he probably genuinely believed with the new dope to hit the grounds in 2008 he would roll Contador. Turns out Contador's network is rock solid.

The greatest cheat got out cheated.

I bet it hurts bad. I dont like either of them. Shallow existence.

Geoff Vadar said:
The bitterness from Armstrong about this years tour with regard to Contador stems purely from the fact he (contador) took Armstrong's business model and perfected it. This is over and above the very well established fact Contador was a life long child prodigy of Saiz.

He is not a timetrialler. Its just not pysiologically possible IMO. Even when people point to his u23 results you should bear in mind Saiz had the kid from about age 15 or 16. (I stand to be corrected on all of that)

It's shambolic. Armstrong's bitterness is in the fact he probably genuinely believed with the new dope to hit the grounds in 2008 he would roll Contador. Turns out Contador's network is rock solid.

well put. and chapeau to knonfs for pointing out that the gc contender is not there to pull everybody else up on the podium.

Phil, Paul, Lance, Levi, Johan are all part of the big spin. They form a circle jerk every night at the hotel

williambrown said:
Phil, Paul, Lance, Levi, Johan are all part of the big spin. They form a circle jerk every night at the hotel

Don't forget Bob Roll, who took Armstrong on a weeks-long ride through the woods in early 2008 after Lancypants nearly gave up the sport for a second time.

You know, the weeks that Armstrong was off the radar and out of range of testers before coming back to rejuvenate his career in the Vuelta. Simply amazing, considering he was having issues finishing one-day races in the Spring.

And we all though Armstrong was just a super duper rider from day one on his return from cancer?

It will turn into a soap opera :)

cyclingnews.com said:
“My relationship with Lance Armstrong is zero," Contador said in a Madrid press conference, according to AFP. “He is a great rider and has completed a great race but it is another thing on a personal level, where I have never had great admiration for him and I never will."

Armstrong responded via his Twitter feed on Monday evening, and was clearly angry. “Seeing these comments from AC (Alberto Contador). If I were him I’d drop this drivel and start thinking his team. W/o (without) them he doesn’t win.”

He then followed that up with another message, referring back to comments he made when Contador got the hunger knock in Paris-Nice and lost the race lead.

“Hey pistolero, there is no ‘I’ in ‘team’. What did I say in March? Lots to learn. Restated,” Tweeted Armstrong.

Geoff Vadar said:

He is not a timetrialler. Its just not physiologically possible IMO. Even when people point to his u23 results you should bear in mind Saiz had the kid from about age 15 or 16. (I stand to be corrected on all of that)

Before you use words like "perfected" let's see him (AC) win a few more tours!

bikert said:

Maybe he'll sweat a little and - gasp! - even have to sit in the saddle in those future tour wins.

anybody else ****** themselves laughing at this soap opera? armstrong & bruyneel spend all tour taking jabs at contador in public running down his team loyalty and race smarts which never happens during a contest. armstrong does not even bother to congratulate contador on the podium. and now contador responds and armstrong has the nerve to remind contador about "team"? what an unadulterated sniveling ass!

bikert said:

Give him a similar resourced to those that LA had when he won his tours, and I don't see why AC can't win a few more...

Interesting comment from Axel Merckx.
Hats off to @lancearmstrong. Always in full control for 3rd place.He definitely earned more respect if that was at all possible.

Papers are saying AM wrote this as well.
RT @axelmerckx: A champion is also measured on how much he respect his teammates and opponents. You can win a race on your own not a grand tour.

williambrown said:
It must have been very difficult for Contador; Armstrong against him, Levi against him, Johan wanting Armstrong to win.

The whole world revolves around Lance; gets his own way; arrogant; every decision goes through him. Great rider: Tour de France winner; 7 times; in a row; after cancer. But not a nice person.

You know Lance was only 4th best on the team in the first TT. Contador must have been thinking "Hey what about me?"

Then the spin machine comes out. "Contador did not follow the rules; attacked Kloden." Contador did the right thing; Kloden was cooked. Andy and Frank would have increased the pace at some point and Kloden would have been dropped anyway.

The real Lance is coming out. He is not aging very well.

Funny, on last nights Tour coverage there was an long interview with Contador and during the section where he was rambling on about his return from his brain aneurysm operation he kept saying that Armstrong was his inspiration and someone he looked upto...

... and 24 hours later we get this.

The Spanish are as fickle as the French it would seem... Well, almost.

swampy1970 said:
Funny, on last nights Tour coverage there was an long interview with Contador and during the section where he was rambling on about his return from his brain aneurysm operation he kept saying that Armstrong was his inspiration and someone he looked upto...

... and 24 hours later we get this.

Looking up to Armstrong stopped when Contador came out of his room to go to the Annecy time trial and found the team gone. The team vehicles that were supposed to have taken him to the start had been sent by Armstrong to an airport to pick up Armstrong's friends and family. Contador had to call his brother to get transportation to the race.

Then there was Armstrong not showing up at the team's post-Tour celebration. Heck, Armstrong refused to the drink the champagne toasting Contador's win. And then there was this classy performance on the podium in Paris.

Astana-001.jpg

That expression just says it all.

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised; Armstrong is a megalomaniac it has been this way throughout his entire career sine he forcibly took control of Motorolo. There is serious suspicion laid here and elsewhere that he controls the UCI and perhaps the way AFLD mentioned their concern with how the UCI dope tester sat and had tea with Astana for 1hr prior to completing their testing and how UCI brushed over the AFLD out of season shower testing incident, shows this to be true.

If I was Contador, the best would be to shut the hell up and keep winning Grand Tours. Arguing and leaving Armstrong / Bruyneel has been disasterous for pretty much every former team member. Also Contador is a little in the '****' currently as Astana will nto recieve an invite to next year's Tour due to the return of Vinokourov to the team.

Regardless I predict Andy Schleck to RadioShack and a late positive for Alberto Contador from this year's tour!