Contador - I Will Never Admire Armstrong

davidbod said:
lol, maybe it escapes you that I've been a member of this forum since 2003 and have nearly twice as many posts as you have. You can see how old I am from my posts, and I've been an avid active cyclist since my late teens, well before Greg LeMond won his first Tour.

I take your comment as the sum of your intellectual prowess in response to mine.

Jimmy went in a little bit too forcefully there.

You may well have been here since 2003 - but you do have history posting some ludicrous posts about Armstrong, Landis etc.

Bro Deal said:
No, the rest of us are smart enough to detect bullsh!t when we smell it. This was the worst Tour in living memory. That Prudhomme is trying to put a positive spin on the Bore de France is understandable. What do you expect him to say? "The Tour sucked. Sorry. Next year we'll try to design a route suitable for real racers instead of over the hill egomaniacs."?

Your major failure here is not realizing that when Prudhome said that the Tour was exciting that he was obviously lying, which makes everything else he says suspect.

The Prudhomme article is only one aspect of the whole pie. My point is that when you look at the whole pie, he has a tremendous amount of respect. The way you Lance haters characterize it, its as if he controls the entire media, race organizers, team management, etc., even Twitter itself (something Iran couldn't do).

You conspiracy theorists should remove your tin foil hats and get out of the basement more often.

Lance has never been the same modest, low key type of character like Indurain was - very humble. It's strange Lance feels a need to keep proving himself as he's won scores of tours and is now getting on in years. Maybe just maybe he can pull off another tour but how much can a body take after so many years training.

slovakguy said:
anybody else ****** themselves laughing at this soap opera? armstrong & bruyneel spend all tour taking jabs at contador in public running down his team loyalty and race smarts which never happens during a contest. armstrong does not even bother to congratulate contador on the podium. and now contador responds and armstrong has the nerve to remind contador about "team"? what an unadulterated sniveling ass!

sopas said:
Yes, I agree. Jan is a good guy and I don't think he will wish anything bad to anyone, not even LA. But, surely he must be happy to see AC win instead of LA.
Lance caused enourmous frustantion in Jan especially in 2001. I think I remember Godefront saying somethink like: Armstrong is humilliating my rider (Jan), That's not necessary!! Well now we have AC "humilliating" Lance!!!!!

Exactly, he feels that Armstrong has reached a new plateau of understanding, more or less.

davidbod said:
The Prudhomme article is only one aspect of the whole pie. My point is that when you look at the whole pie, he has a tremendous amount of respect. The way you Lance haters characterize it, its as if he controls the entire media, race organizers, team management, etc., even Twitter itself (something Iran couldn't do).

You conspiracy theorists should remove your tin foil hats and get out of the basement more often.

IMO, people don't respect Lance - people fear him and his political power in cycling; in America particularly. People in the industry (race organizers/directors/media/management) understand the Lance-factor; basically his image does translate to the perception that increased money will flow wherever he appears. Whether this perception is true or a figment of the imagination is for debate, but the perception is there.

I'm not suprised by Prudhomme's comments about "the Lance-factor". The perception is probably reality to him and his organization (ASO). The drama Lance created this year at the tour probably increased the viewership worldwide, probably - I don't have the figures...sure caused extra hits on this forum for sure...

TheDangerMan said:
I admire LA's attitude. He is never happy unless he is winning, which is what seperates him from the rest.

well he must be a very unhappy man because he got his ass handed to him in this tour by the number 1 and 2 guys in the race... lol.. they were clearly just on a completely other level.. AC and AS were literally riding circles around him and the other also rans in this year's tour on the climbs..

tonyzackery said:
The drama Lance created this year at the tour probably increased the viewership worldwide, probably - I don't have the figures...sure caused extra hits on this forum for sure...

he's a polarizing figure... some people who wouldn't otherwise watch to see him succeed, while others who wouldn't otherwise watch to see him fail.. either way he's good for getting eyeballs on the tour.

No_Positives said:
I would say a lot of them were. He is the Tiger Woods of cycling and brings out the crowds and sponsors. But his presence doesn't make as much impact at the Tour, because the Tour is such a huge event to begin with. But you should have seen the crowd at a crit Lance did in California about two months ago. It was insane. 5 deep around the entire loop. Would anyone in the world have cared if Carlos Sastre were at that crit?!?!
I think you are wrong. The tour is much bigger then Lance. As I said , in the eighties there were almost 300k on Alpe D'huez (when the dutch were winning the stages). In California, Australia or the UK the fans would be there for LA. In the more traditional countries like France, Italy, Belgium or Spain, the fans come for the event. The press however will be more interested in LA. He is not the Tiger Woods of cycling, he is the Lance Armstrong of cycling. A guy who wins 7 TdF's deserves respect and shouldn't be compared with someone from another sport. I respect him but I also respect AC (maybe the greatest GT-cyclist ever). But they will never be at the same height of Merckx, Hinault or Coppi.

Exactly, people who are lining along the roads are not all real fans, most of them follow TDF, not the riders. Of course, they know the names which are the most used by press and TV.

limerickman said:
What a load of Bollocks.

With respect.

This country has a long history in this sport and it had huge fanbase long before the uniballer said he'd appear here.

In fact Armstrongs announcement to appear at the Tour of Ireland, has had zero effect.

Quite the contrary in fact.
The tour has been reduced from five days to three days.

So you're talking rubbish.

The event organiser thinks LA adds to the current race...........

“This year’s line-up is a very strong one, and features two out of the three biggest names currently in cycling,” said Event Organiser Alan Rushton at the race launch in the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Powerscourt, Enniskerry. “Having Mark Cavendish back again is fantastic and he obviously enjoyed himself last year when he won three stages. Lance Armstrong is a legend in cycling and it will be great for fans to see him race on Irish roads.

wolfix said:
The event organiser thinks LA adds to the current race...........

“This year’s line-up is a very strong one, and features two out of the three biggest names currently in cycling,” said Event Organiser Alan Rushton at the race launch in the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Powerscourt, Enniskerry. “Having Mark Cavendish back again is fantastic and he obviously enjoyed himself last year when he won three stages. Lance Armstrong is a legend in cycling and it will be great for fans to see him race on Irish roads.

The 2009 race has been shortened by two days, Wolf.

In 2008 the race last five days.

In 2009, it will last for three days.

Armstrongs participation was flagged as early as january 2009.
The organsiers have tried selling the event on Armstrongs participation.
There has been no influx of sponsorship.
That's the effect of his intention to race - zero sponsorship take up.

Lack of sponsorship has forced a 40% reduction in the race.

Cavendish raced the event last year and committed himself to race again this year, even before the finish of last years race.
Cavendish loves racing over here.

limerickman said:
Armstrongs participation was flagged as early as january 2009.
The organsiers have tried selling the event on Armstrongs participation.
There has been no influx of sponsorship.
That's the effect of his intention to race - zero sponsorship take up.

Lack of sponsorship has forced a 40% reduction in the race.

I wasn't aware it was mentioned way back in January. You guys have also been hit hard by the GFC, so that wouldn't be helping matters.

steve said:
I wasn't aware it was mentioned way back in January. You guys have also been hit hard by the GFC, so that wouldn't be helping matters.

His participation was flagged very early on - in fact it was rumoured as soon as he announced his decision to race again, that he would be at the ToI 2009.
In the meantime, the length of the race was slashed by 40%.

There was zero uplift in interest from potential sponsors for the race.
His participation has had no effect.

Just to put things in to perspective.
We've staged a number of large sporting events in this country in the past year.
We had the Volvo Ocean Yacht race here in May/June : sponsorship interest was very high.
There is plenty of commercial sponsorship available for sporting events.

It would seem that for the ToI, though that sponsors are not interested, regardless of who may/may not participate in the race.

limerickman said:
What a load of Bollocks.

With respect.

This country has a long history in this sport and it had huge fanbase long before the uniballer said he'd appear here.

In fact Armstrongs announcement to appear at the Tour of Ireland, has had zero effect.

Quite the contrary in fact.
The tour has been reduced from five days to three days.

So you're talking rubbish.

You're being disingenious. Ireland is currently going through the biggest recession in Europe so I'm sure that has something to do with it. But you cannot deny there is a huge buzz about the the great seven time winner Armstrong turning up. Everywhere he has been this year has brought out huge crowds. You know that.

limerickman said:
It would seem that for the ToI, though that sponsors are not interested, regardless of who may/may not participate in the race.

I bet if Stephen Roche made a comeback and won another Tour they'd have 1,000,000 people out in O'Connell Street again.:D

TheDangerMan said:
You're being disingenious. Ireland is currently going through the biggest recession in Europe so I'm sure that has something to do with it. But you cannot deny there is a huge buzz about the the great seven time winner Armstrong turning up. Everywhere he has been this year has brought out huge crowds. You know that.

Not being disingenuous in the least.

The ToI raced 5 days in 2008.

The ToI will race 3 days in 2009.
If there was interest from sponsors, it would have raced for 5 days, believe you me.

In terms of sponsorship for sporting events, this country hosted
the Volvo Round the World Yacht race.
Irish and international companies were queuing up to sponsor the event.
Sponsorship money is there for sports events -as the Yacht race proved.

If the sponsors were interested, they would have sponsored the ToI 2009 for 5 days.
They're not.

classic1 said:
I bet if Stephen Roche made a comeback and won another Tour they'd have 1,000,000 people out in O'Connell Street again.:D

Indeed they would.

To put it in perspective, Tiger Woods plays an annual charity event in Adare in County Limerick.
Ticket sales for this event have remained at the same level as previous years.
Again, sponsors of the event are plentiful.

limerickman said:
Not being disingenuous in the least.

The ToI raced 5 days in 2008.

The ToI will race 3 days in 2009.
If there was interest from sponsors, it would have raced for 5 days, believe you me.

In terms of sponsorship for sporting events, this country hosted
the Volvo Round the World Yacht race.
Irish and international companies were queuing up to sponsor the event.
Sponsorship money is there for sports events -as the Yacht race proved.

If the sponsors were interested, they would have sponsored the ToI 2009 for 5 days.
They're not.

That's very unfortunate and a misjudgement. They've missed out on what obviously will be a bigger event this year due to Armstrong's presense.

TheDangerMan said:
That's very unfortunate and a misjudgement. They've missed out on what obviously will be a bigger event this year due to Armstrong's presense.

Bull****. God is making a special guest appearance in Sean Kelly Square, Carrick on Suir at 10am on September 5. Sure to be an even bigger event IMO. True believers are asked to bring water. It will be turned to wine. God may even cure cancer for an encore to demonstrate his Almighty righteousness. Those wearing ghey yellow friendship bracelets will be smited for worshipping false gods. You had best stay away. Amen.

classic1 said:
Bull****. God is making a special guest appearance in Sean Kelly Square, Carrick on Suir at 10am on September 5. Sure to be an even bigger event IMO. True believers are asked to bring water. It will be turned to wine. God may even cure cancer for an encore to demonstrate his Almighty righteousness. Those wearing ghey yellow friendship bracelets will be smited for worshipping false gods. You had best stay away. Amen.

I read somewhere in this forum that cancer had already been cured.
Don't disillusion me in the sense that there may be inaccurate information posted here.
I am so confued now.:confused:
btw: I am all over that water to wine stuff as long as it isn't swill water Zinfandel or something similar.