Contador - I Will Never Admire Armstrong

limerickman said:
You made another bogus claim earlier that we had the worst recession in Europe.
We don't.

You're not being logical.

You claimed earlier that this country was in a recession and that corporate sponsorship falls.
If this is the case - and it's not - why would a world class event, accounting for far larger sponsorship and funding go ahead?
If there is such a severe recession, as you claim.
Your argument is not logical.
And the facts contradict, your false claims.

You're being false and illogical.

If the interest level in his participation was higher as you claim, you would have corporate sponsors lining up to be involved in the race.
They're aren't.
And they're not.

.....but it is logical to claim that the Tour of Ireland will be more popular than ever, even thought the race has reduced by 40%!

Your grasp of critical thinking leaves a lot to be desired.

Nice try though, mon ami.

Well I did show you a link which had the independent, International Monetary Fund (IMF), saying Ireland has the worst recession in Europe, so I don't know why you are still denying it.

I suspect the whole event this year would have been scrapped if Armstrong wasn't coming. He's likely saved it for you. You should be grateful instead of down playing everything he does. I don't know what he wrong with you people.

TheDangerMan said:
I suspect the whole event this year would have been scrapped if Armstrong wasn't coming. He's likely saved it for you. You should be grateful instead of down playing everything he does. I don't know what he wrong with you people.

Wrong again.
In February 2009, organisers that there would be a 5 day race.
Your man confirmed his participation in the race in January 2009.

In May 2009, it was announced that the race had been shortened by 40%.

Commerical reality is that sponsors go to where there is the best coverage and profile.
Sponsors are just not interested in ToI.

The irony is hilarious.

limerickman said:
Wrong again.
In February 2009, organisers that there would be a 5 day race.
Your man confirmed his participation in the race in January 2009.

In May 2009, it was announced that the race had been shortened by 40%.

Commerical reality is that sponsors go to where there is the best coverage and profile.
Sponsors are just not interested in ToI.

The irony is hilarious.

It's not wrong. If he wasn't already booked it would probably have to be scrapped. Armstrong has saved your national tour - you owe him an eternal debt.

TheDangerMan said:
It's not wrong. If he wasn't already booked it would probably have to be scrapped. Armstrong has saved your national tour - you owe him an eternal debt.

He announced that he would race ToI, in January 2009.

The organisers said the race would have 5 stages in February 2009

The race was shortened in May 2009 by 40%.

Ironic.

TheDangerMan said:
Well he is yet to prove he is better than the great Armstrong, but if he keeps this dominance going he might well be. The truth is, though, that the opposition hasn't been great for Contador until this year, whereas Armstrong faced down the best to win most of his tours. Even Armstrong at 38 would have beaten the Contador from a year or two ago. That's why for me this year is Contador's first big win. If he can time trial like that again for another seven years, and not get involved in any scandals, then I will hold my hands up and admit he is better than Armstrong.(though even then his body will not have come back from kemo!)

he is better than LA he won the Giro and Vuelta which autmatically I pput ahead of LA. Wining one race only deosnt impress me enough

beloki said:
he is better than LA he won the Giro and Vuelta which autmatically I pput ahead of LA. Wining one race only deosnt impress me enough

I suspect it is one of Armstrong's regrets that he missed out those tours completely to foucs entirely on the tour de france. He could have quite easily won them in his prime. The riders who do win those tours are always way down in the Tour de France.

I wonder if he will have a proper go at one of them next year, injury free.

TheDangerMan said:
Armstrong has saved your national tour - you owe him an eternal debt.

& on the 6th day Lance saved the Tour of Ireland after the iri****es had spent all their money on a recession. On the 7th day Lance rested (in the Bahamas)

TheDangerMan said:
I suspect it is one of Armstrong's regrets that he missed out those tours completely to foucs entirely on the tour de france. He could have quite easily won them in his prime. The riders who do win those tours are always way down in the Tour de France.

the vuleta is harder than the TDF

TheDangerMan said:

He showed up the Giro this year - finished 12th (16 minutes down on the winner).

gtm said:
He showed up the Giro this year - finished 12th (16 minutes down on the winner).

Yeah I know that. After he broke his collar bone he was never going to compete in it. He used it to get up to fitness and prepare for the Tour. That's why I was wondering if he will have a proper go at it next year without injury.

As you know, the Giro winner was way down the listings at the Tour de France.

At any rate, i'm not saying Armstrong could easily win the Giro now, but he certainly could at his prime. He must regret not doing so. But I suppose Contador only did so because his team was suspended from France.

TheDangerMan said:
But I suppose Contador only did so because his team was suspended from France.

He won 2 Grand Tours last year - no mean feat & certainly something Armstrong never attempted to do.

gtm said:
He won 2 Grand Tours last year - no mean feat & certainly something Armstrong never attempted to do.

Yes, because he team was banned from the Tour de France. Like I said.

Given that the ToF comes bang smack in the middle of the other main tours, it's not something those looking to win the Tour de France would usually try to do. They might use it to gain fitness or something, but they wouldn't be in contention. You'll note that Contador did not enter those tours this year - after the ban was lifted.

TheDangerMan said:
He could have quite easily won them in his prime.

No, he couldn't.

Nor did he.

TheDangerMan said:
The riders who do win those tours are always way down in the Tour de France.

No, they don't.

Indurain won both races, twice, in successive season.
Pantani won both races in the same season.
Fignon finished 2nd in the Giro, and won the TDF in the same season.
Merckx won the Giro and the TDF in the same season.

The really great riders can and do compete in both races in the same season

limerickman said:
No, he couldn't.

Nor did he.

No, they don't.

Indurain won both races, twice, in successive season.
Pantani won both races in the same season.
Fignon finished 2nd in the Giro, and won the TDF in the same season.
Merckx won the Giro and the TDF in the same season.

The really great riders can and do compete in both races in the same season

It's very rare - it's something from a different era now. I doubt if Contador will try to do it. The Tour has become so difficult to win, in large part due to Armstrong transforming the preperation for it, that it now goes without saying that riders will not attempt to win the ToF and another grand Tour in the same season.

Contador saying that he never has and never will admire Armstrong strikes me as "the pot" saying that it never has and never will admire "the kettle" because it's too black. That's just my opinion.

meehs said:
Contador saying that he never has and never will admire Armstrong strikes me as "the pot" saying that it never has and never will admire "the kettle" because it's too black. That's just my opinion.

There seems to be a complete breakdown in communication.

TheDangerMan said:
It's very rare - it's something from a different era now. I doubt if Contador will try to do it. The Tour has become so difficult to win, in large part due to Armstrong transforming the preperation for it, that it now goes without saying that riders will not attempt to win the ToF and another grand Tour in the same season.
Menchov rings a bell.