Contador positive for Clenbuterol

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by genedan, Sep 29, 2010.

1. genedan

genedan New Member

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/alberto-contador-tests-positive-for-clenbuterol

Contador has tested positive for Clenbuterol from a July 21 test. He claims that the positive is due to food contamination.

It makes me sad that a routine asthma drug could bring him down like this...but it's banned for a good reason - abuse of the drug can cause heart attacks. Fuyu Li of RadioShack also tested positive for the same drug.

Must be a nightmare for Riis right now…

Tags:

2. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

Fuyu Li didn't just test positive, he received a two year suspension if I'm not mistaken. Good, I'm not a personal fan of Contador, doped up an all he still couldn't even win a stage in the Tour.

3. genedan

genedan New Member

Fuyu Li definitely tested positive.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/radioshacks-li-fuyu-positive-test-confirmed

Did you like my Wikipedia update on Contador? Someone beat me to the update on the Clenbuterol page, however…

4. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

This doesn't look good for Contador.

5. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

This story has been picked up by practically every single newsagency worldwide.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif

6. genedan

genedan New Member

Man, I am one unhappy camper. Crossing my fingers for that B-sample.

7. Chapeau!

Chapeau! New Member

Bye Bye Bjarne! Your down the CRAPPER!!!!!. No Contador El Clenbuterolo.

Award Cadel & Shleck the yellow jerseys.

8. genedan

genedan New Member

Well…It looks like we need to cool the jets a little here.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-contador-positive-requires-further-scientific-investigation

“The concentration found by the laboratory was estimated at 50 picograms (or 0,000 000 000 05 grams per ml) which is 400 time less than what the antidoping laboratories accredited by WADA must be able to detect.”

Could the UCI actually pass a 2-year ban, since the levels appear to be below the minimum threshold? The value looks to be very small, but I don't know much about drugs so I can't reach any reliable conclusions.

9. Chapeau!

Chapeau! New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by genedan .

Well…It looks like we need to cool the jets a little here.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-contador-positive-requires-further-scientific-investigation

“The concentration found by the laboratory was estimated at 50 picograms (or 0,000 000 000 05 grams per ml) which is 400 time less than what the antidoping laboratories accredited by WADA must be able to detect.”

Could the UCI actually pass a 2-year ban, since the levels appear to be below the minimum threshold? The value looks to be very small, but I don't know much about drugs so I can't reach any reliable conclusions.

It may be a micro amount, but he was doing something that is on the banned list. He should be suspended, just like anyone else.

I bet Lance is doing the jig.

10. thebluetrain

thebluetrain New Member

It's Lance's fault. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

11. pennstater

pennstater New Member

This possitive test happened on a rest day right after a big mountain stage to Pau the day before, which presumably would have been the day he would have taken the Clenbuterol for performance purposes. This might explain why so little turned up in his system, but it seems like a possibility that it could be from food or maybe supplements. When I first heard he attributed the possitive to contaminated food it sounded pretty dodgy. Still sounds very dodgy, but not nearly as bad as Landis' booze story. Can't wait for more breaking news. I really don't know anything about this drug other than the wiki page I just read and hearing about a few other althletes testing for it.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contadors-contaminated-food-excuse-or-possibility

12. genedan

genedan New Member

Then again, would anyone else be suspended for a level like this? I believe that the tests have to pass some sort of threshold to be considered positive. For instance - hematocrit levels have to pass 50% and if you're at 49% you're OK.

I'd be surprised if anyone actually showed up with all zeros on any given test. You'd be surprised to know how much junk is actually in your blood (you'll find minute amounts of stuff that shouldn't be there, like mercury, arsenic, lead, etc. at minute levels due to drinking water contamination).

Then again, any athlete is responsible for the stuff he puts in his body. Accidental food contamination should warrant some kind of punishment (just like accidents in real life car, fire, etc.), since it still gives the rider an unfair advantage, though the punishment should be less than that of intentional doping.

No_Positives likes this.
  13. pennstater

pennstater New Member

I agree, but how do you determine if someone intentionaly took something or ingested something that was contaminated thus causing a possitive? Do you take a rider's word for it?

14. Ted B

Ted B New Member

I'm no Contador groupie, but this amounts to minutia.

Farmers have been known to administer Clenbuterol to livestock, and documented cases of meat contamination are out there. It's impossible for anyone to know if the meat they've eaten has been contaminated. With a full pharmaceutical dose of Clenbuterol being on the order of 20mcg, it would be very easy to sabotage an athlete, although I doubt that's what happened here.

15. genedan

genedan New Member

This stuff is also used to dope horses.

"I swear to God I ate a little Smarty Jones the night before the 21st...honest!"

16. No_Positives

No_Positives New Member

No surprise he's juiced.

Jacobstilan likes this.
  17. Jacobstilan

Jacobstilan New Member

If it amounts to nothing, why was he banned? Contador is in trouble, that's all I can say.

18. sitzmark

sitzmark Member

UCI says clenbuterol in Contador sample was 0.05 ng/ml. Amount in TRS's Fuyu Li sample in March was 0.05-0.10. He's awaiting a 2yr ban.

19. Chapeau!

Chapeau! New Member

20. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

If it's requested that the B sample is tested at another Lab, it's quite possible since the amount is many times less that required to be detectable, that it will come back OK...