Contemplating cross-country trip

Thu, 13 Feb 2003 22:34:56 -0500, <[email protected]>, "Eric S. Sande"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Believe it or not, I've been wondering about that. Do you bring a roll of toilet paper along, or
>>>always try to find a gas station, etc. to go?
>
>>You steal TP from the last gas station or restaurant. A whole roll of wet toilet paper doesn't
>>even burn well.
>
>That's why they invented Zip-Loc (TM) bags.
>
>Cheap insurance on a long ride.

Amen. I'm usually carrying extra plastic bags, even on short tips.

Tent living in the Queen Charlotte Islands, I learned that dry toilet paper, matches and cigarette
papers was even more comforting than dry socks and warm waders. Methodically double wrapping was
the only way.

Really, I'd not bother carrying more toilet paper than I'm likely to use before the next place I can
replenish it. I don't know, I steal sugar packets too.

>Saves you from yourself, and you did carry a trowel, or are you planning on digging a cathole with
>your Zefal?

That's what shorty pumps are for.
--
zk

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:28:26 -0500, schikerbiker wrote:

> A year or two of training? Unless you are racing across America, this is simply overkill. You
> can get in shape by just doing the tour as many others have done. Take a few day rides with your
> bike fully loaded to make sure you like the feel or to tweak. The hardest part is mental more
> than physical. And enjoy your ride, take time to visit places, talk to people. The fun part
> about riding a bike like this, most people can eat what they want, as much as they want, and not
> gain weight.

But the OP apparently is not currently riding at all. Granted, for someone who rides moderately, you
might be able to ramp up on the tour itself, but if you just ride a few times before the tour, your
butt will be hamburger after 3 days, and your legs will be rubber.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You _`\(,_ | soon find out the
pig likes it! (_)/ (_) |