Conti 4000?

moto

Aug 12, 2005
Has anyone ridden on the new continental 4000 clinchers? I need a new set of tires that are race worthy yet last more than a week. Any suggestions?

moto said:
Has anyone ridden on the new continental 4000 clinchers? I need a new set of tires that are race worthy yet last more than a week. Any suggestions?
Yes - for about 300 or 400 kilometres until the tread and sidewall were sliced open during a race. I've returned to the Conti Force/Attack combo, but only because in Australia the Force/Attack tyres are covered by a guarantee (and the 4000 is not) that allows you to buy a new tyre if you get a puncture, within a specified period from purchase, for $29.95. I figure if I get a serious puncture that rights the tyre off I might as well have one Conti's importers are prepared to back.

For the time that I had the 4000 I found it was good, and probably better than the Micheln Pro Race. However I find the Force/Attack combo rolls better and strangely seems a little more compliant - perhaps the VEctran in the 4000 stiffens the sidewalls a little.

moto said:
Yes - for about 300 or 400 kilometres until the tread and sidewall were sliced open during a race. I've returned to the Conti Force/Attack combo, but only because in Australia the Force/Attack tyres are covered by a guarantee (and the 4000 is not) that allows you to buy a new tyre if you get a puncture, within a specified period from purchase, for $29.95. I figure if I get a serious puncture that totals the tyre I might as well have one Conti's importers are prepared to back.

For the time that I had the 4000 I found it was good, and probably better than the Micheln Pro Race. However I find the Force/Attack combo rolls better and strangely seems a little more compliant - perhaps the VEctran in the 4000 stiffens the sidewalls a little.

The Conti GP4000 is a great riding tyre, I have a pair on a bike right now and they are noticeably different to the 3000 - especially when you are out of the saddle on a climb for instance, they just feel more responsive!

The price on new tyres like these is fairly flat - if you are buying just on price, eBay is a good place to start.

Yesterday I have my first long ride on these (700c) tyres. The reduced rolling resistance compared with the original tyres fitted by Felt is just amazing. Combined with the carbon forks, the level of comfort on brick paving is also much improved. At 75kg, I tried 95psi front, 105psi rear.