Conti Contact Security vs Schwalbe Marathon Plus cycle tires

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqSuperSection.jsp?ssid=Tubes

would a nice boy like pablo battani steer you wrong?

i just recently discombobulated a spec nipple neck for several miles-
like 75-without streessing the rubber.

the specs are weight and carcass comparisons not price.
A TT is in a completely different and sportier class than a Marathon.
While a Marathon or Pasela or? commutes, the TT is GT, it's a
forgiving life saving tire made commute reliable with a thicker tube.
The Marathon/Messenger class are reliable but a hassle for directional
control or stability: A loser over quickly varying surfaces: tar sand
tar sand tar on the shoulder next to traffic. That fact leads to using
a sport tire such as a Conti TT/thornproof on the front

Tire liners allow slime to work correctly with a very close mating
surface the inner side of the tire's contac area cannot give. Fluid
flow presses outward from it's hole, sealing and preventing air
release.
Liners are destructive from overlap and side edge pressures on the
tube so periodic maybe 3-400 mile tube checks at hi pressures are
necessary avoiding unpleasant surprises. Good for touring or a Tour
singular.

In article <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs wrote:
>Ben C wrote:
>
>> Certainly I've never heard of a bicycle aquaplaning but it's
>> conceivable that on wider and lower pressure bicycle road tyres the
>> tread does give you a bit more wet grip.

>It is inconceviable unless you're doing about 50 mph. Or is it 80 mph?

80mph with a 60psi tyre. Sheldon may be gone, but his work lives on:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#hydroplaning

In article
<6c393581-10a2-4520-8816-e27ea5bc6295@h25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, TJ
<[email protected]> wrote:

> http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti contact security.shtml
>
> Continental, Germany tells us the Contact Security is
>
> "Designed for industrial applications, the ContactSecurity can also
> perform well in everyday use. Its massive puncture-proof breaker was
> developed to resist metal cuttings and shards on factory grounds. In
> view of its tough construction, it is not a comfortable touring tyre
> with low rolling resistance, but it does effectively ward off gravel
> and shards on short stretches in the city."
>
> How do these compare for puncture protection, speed and mileage
> against the Schwalbe Mararthon Plus ??
>
> Thanks

I've never ridden a Schwalbe and so can't directly compare the Conti
Contact Security's characteristics against it.

Still, my impression after almost a winter's season's worth of riding a
CCS, on the rear wheel only, has yielded these observations: the Conti
is heavy, harsh and has a noticeably higher rolling resistance (against
the other puncture resistant tire I've had extensive experience with:
Panaracer Pasela with Tourguard). My experience corroborates Conti's
assertion that the Contact Security does not make for comfortable
riding. No flats on the Conti though, but the Pasela on the front
hasn't had a flat either.

I opted for the Contis only after efforts of sourcing a set of
Marathons locally proved fruitless -- they were a second choice to
begin with. If I could repeat the exercise I'd try harder to get my
hands on a set of Marathons instead.

On Feb 25, 7:39 am, Luke <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <6c393581-10a2-4520-8816-e27ea5bc6...@h25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, TJ
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti contact security.shtml

> > Continental, Germany tells us the Contact Security is

> > "Designed for industrial applications, the ContactSecurity can also
> > perform well in everyday use. Its massive puncture-proof breaker was
> > developed to resist metal cuttings and shards on factory grounds. In
> > view of its tough construction, it is not a comfortable touring tyre
> > with low rolling resistance, but it does effectively ward off gravel
> > and shards on short stretches in the city."

> > How do these compare for puncture protection, speed and mileage
> > against the Schwalbe Mararthon Plus ??

> > Thanks

> I've never ridden a Schwalbe and so can't directly compare the Conti
> Contact Security's characteristics against it.
>
> Still, my impression after almost a winter's season's worth of riding a
> CCS, on the rear wheel only, has yielded these observations: the Conti
> is heavy, harsh and has a noticeably higher rolling resistance (against
> the other puncture resistant tire I've had extensive experience with:
> Panaracer Pasela with Tourguard). My experience corroborates Conti's
> assertion that the Contact Security does not make for comfortable
> riding. No flats on the Conti though, but the Pasela on the front
> hasn't had a flat either.
>
> I opted for the Contis only after efforts of sourcing a set of
> Marathons locally proved fruitless -- they were a second choice to
> begin with. If I could repeat the exercise I'd try harder to get my
> hands on a set of Marathons instead.- Hide quoted text -

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/index.php?category=625

The Panaracer Pasela isnot a commuter's tire. The Pasela is a niche
market around the block tire for Sunday afternoons.
The Conti Security isn't harsh, it grips loose surfaces without
resorting to knobs, louvers and gearhackles. If it didn't grip then it
would be termed harsh. You see the distinction?

datakoll wrote:

> The Conti Security isn't harsh, it grips loose surfaces without
> resorting to knobs, louvers and gearhackles. If it didn't grip then it
> would be termed harsh. You see the distinction?

Errr, not really. To me, I'd take "harsh" as "not comfortable", nothing
to do with how it grips things. My rockboots grip rock magnificently
well, but they're harsh on my feet.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Feb 25, 9:10 am, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
> datakoll wrote:
> > The Conti Security isn't harsh, it grips loose surfaces without
> > resorting to knobs, louvers and gearhackles. If it didn't grip then it
> > would be termed harsh. You see the distinction?

> Errr, not really.  To me, I'd take "harsh" as "not comfortable", nothing
> to do with how it grips things.  My rockboots grip rock magnificently
> well, but they're harsh on my feet.
>
> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch                    Medical Physics IT Officer
> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637   Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
> Fax 44 1382 640177              Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
> net [email protected]    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

we're discussing means to ends here, aspirations not feelings.

On Feb 25, 3:20 am, Ron Wallenfang <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> And unless there is a significant price difference. Though the

> > recommended retail price is about the same for the Schwalbe Marathon
> > Plus and the Bontrager Satellite Elite Hardcase, from the discounters
> > the Bontrager was about 60 per cent the price the last time I looked.
> > As I have both and cannot for the life of me see any significant
> > difference, a 40 per cent price difference would have to feature in my
> > decision.

> I have Schwalbe Marathon Plus on one of my TREK 520 bikes and
> Bontrager Select K (with a kevlar strip inside) on the other. Both
> have worn well with minimum flats.  The Schwalbe's have gone about
> 10,000 miles with just two flats.  The Bontrager rear tire wore out
> more quickly than that but still wore longer than most tires, and with
> only a couple flats.  I'll replace the Schwalbes before my next long
> ride this summer.  I am not familiar with the Satellite Elite
> Hardcase.  How does it compare with the Select K?
>
> I did not have good luck with thorn resistant tubes.  Several of them
> had stem failures.
>
> Using a separate Kevlar lining with a thin tube wasn't good because
> the sharp edge on the Kevlar caused flats.  So I went to the Select
> K.  And then also the Schwalbe's after I had heard about them.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the Select K, Ron. Couldn't
find it either at http://www.bontrager.com\

The Satellite Elite Hardcase is here:
http://www.bontrager.com/Mountain/Wheelworks/Tires/5783.php
and is a triple overkill sort of tyre. From the description:
*****
Satellite Elite Hardcase
Durable, fast rolling pavement tire for long-term reliability
Dual compound tread provides long life and excellent wet-weather grip
Hardcase triple flat protection features a Kevlar belt, anti-cut
casing and anti-pinch technology
Reflex material on sidewall increases visibility at night
******

I don't know anything about thorn resistant tubes either; I count on
the Marathon Plus and the Hardcase rubber layers to keep the thorns
out, so far successfully -- no flats in reaching for 4000km between
two bikes fitted one with the Hardcase and one with the Marathon Plus.
I can recommend either, and it sounds like you like the Marathon Plus.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE & CYCLING.html

On 24 Feb, 15:07, TJ <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti contact security.shtml
>
> How do these compare for puncture protection, speed and mileage
> against the Schwalbe Mararthon Plus ??

I use the Conti TravelContact, which is semi-slick*, puncture-
resistant and rolls well but still grips reasonably well on light off-
road. In nearly a year and 3,000 miles I've only had two punctures:
one pinch flat from letting the tyre get too soft and carrying a heavy
pannier, and one proper puncture from a very sharp piece of metal wire
that managed to get through the Kevlar.

*or, as several helpful people have said to me on the train, "your
tyre's totally worn out mate"...

Tom Sherman wrote:
> TJ wrote:
>> http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti contact security.shtml
>>
>> Continental, Germany tells us the Contact Security is
>>
>> "Designed for industrial applications, the ContactSecurity can also
>> perform well in everyday use. Its massive puncture-proof breaker was
>> developed to resist metal cuttings and shards on factory grounds. In
>> view of its tough construction, it is not a comfortable touring tyre
>> with low rolling resistance, but it does effectively ward off gravel
>> and shards on short stretches in the city."
>>

> The page also says "The tread derives it’s superb function from a closer
> look at nature’s solutions. Animal paws were the model for designing the
> tread pattern and it’s surface!"
>
> How many animals have wheels and travel primarily on pavement?

And how many animals misuse "it's" twice in two sentences? I thought
the UK had something to do with the English language.

Colin Campbell writes:

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti contact security.shtml

>>> Continental, Germany tells us the Contact Security is

>>> "Designed for industrial applications, the ContactSecurity can
>>> also perform well in everyday use. Its massive puncture-proof
>>> breaker was developed to resist metal cuttings and shards on
>>> factory grounds. In view of its tough construction, it is not a
>>> comfortable touring tyre with low rolling resistance, but it does
>>> effectively ward off gravel and shards on short stretches in the
>>> city."

>> The page also says "The tread derives it’s superb function from a
>> closer look at nature’s solutions. Animal paws were the modelfor
>> designing the tread pattern and it’s surface!"

>> How many animals have wheels and travel primarily on pavement?

> And how many animals misuse "it's" twice in two sentences? I
> thought the UK had something to do with the English language.

That language is no longer taught in schools as is apparent from
(lie/lay), (effect/impact), (affect/impact) and other speech
embellishments "overwhelming majority" aka "most" that we see all the
time.

Its the overwhelming majority of these kinds of things that give
wreck.bike a lack of clarity.

aka

Most of these things make wreck.bike unclear.

Jobst Brandt

On 25 Feb 2008 20:57:59 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>Colin Campbell writes:
>
> http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti contact security.shtml

>>> The page also says "The tread derives it’s superb function from a
>>> closer look at nature’s solutions. Animal paws were the model for
>>> designing the tread pattern and it’s surface!"

>>> How many animals have wheels and travel primarily on pavement?

>> And how many animals misuse "it's" twice in two sentences? I
>> thought the UK had something to do with the English language.

>That language is no longer taught in schools as is apparent from
>(lie/lay), (effect/impact), (affect/impact) and other speech
>embellishments "overwhelming majority" aka "most" that we see all the
>time.
>
>Its the overwhelming majority of these kinds of things that give
>wreck.bike a lack of clarity.
>
>aka
>
>Most of these things make wreck.bike unclear.
>
>Jobst Brandt

Dear Jobst,

Actually, its/it's perfectly clear when read aloud.

The apostrophe is helpful and even elegant punctuation on the printed
page, but its/it's utterly inaudible when you read aloud.

The same is true of they're/there/their and too/to/two.

Or John's/Johns bicycle--the apostrophe that signals possession rather
than plurality to the eye cannot be heard.

Similarly, the contraction function of the apostrophe is literally
inaudible. You cannot hear a missin' letter, even though it eventually
signals the pronunciation of can't vs. cannot

(Try to pronounce the period for abbreviation in "vs." above.)

Somehow we manage to hear things without quite so much quibbling. The
errors of grammar and punctuation on RBT scarcely ever cause even the
slightest confusion.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
> Actually, its/it's perfectly clear when read aloud.
>
> The apostrophe is helpful and even elegant punctuation on the printed
> page, but its/it's utterly inaudible when you read aloud.
>
> The same is true of they're/there/their and too/to/two.
>
> Or John's/Johns bicycle--the apostrophe that signals possession rather
> than plurality to the eye cannot be heard.
>
> Similarly, the contraction function of the apostrophe is literally
> inaudible. You cannot hear a missin' letter, even though it eventually
> signals the pronunciation of can't vs. cannot
>
> (Try to pronounce the period for abbreviation in "vs." above.)
>
> Somehow we manage to hear things without quite so much quibbling. The
> errors of grammar and punctuation on RBT scarcely ever cause even the
> slightest confusion.

Some old fogies (me) are driven to distraction on hearing things like
'orientated'. I, for one, have learned to smile and walk away, no one
being interested in my opinions of language. Languages degrade; get over it.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Robkings is a candidate for a Specialized thornproof tube. Buying a
$25+ rear tyre without using a thornproof tube is 1+1=0
Like lookit the tyre. It is flimsy thin pathetic, a barrier of no
redoubt. Does this film need assistance.
Well, does it ???

people live in my exclusive gated nayborhood speak in grunts.
Shortening a word is a sign of significant intelligence.
Conversation founds on, He said, They said., Ura XXXX. Main concern is
does my asshole smell or does ura asshole smell or her asshole smells.
No kidding.
Mostly KSC people.

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, [email protected] wrote:

> On 24 Feb, 15:07, TJ <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti contact security.shtml
>>
>> How do these compare for puncture protection, speed and mileage
>> against the Schwalbe Mararthon Plus ??

> I use the Conti TravelContact, which is semi-slick*,
>
> *or, as several helpful people have said to me on the train, "your
> tyre's totally worn out mate"...

Heh!

I wonder, though - how slick does a tyre have to be before it's slick
rather than semi-slick? Is there a three-quarter slick? Is the Marathon
Plus a slick:

http://www.chinawheelie.com/the-trike/images/img_6790.jpg

?

tom

--
The most successful people are those who are good at plan B. --
James Yorke

On Feb 25, 5:49 pm, datakoll <[email protected]> wrote:
> Robkings is a candidate for a Specialized thornproof tube. Buying a
> $25+ rear tyre without using a thornproof tube is 1+1=0
> Like lookit the tyre. It is flimsy thin pathetic, a barrier of no
> redoubt. Does this film need assistance.
> Well, does it ???
>
> people live in my exclusive gated nayborhood speak in grunts.
> Shortening a word is a sign of significant intelligence.
> Conversation founds on, He said, They said., Ura XXXX. Main concern is
> does my asshole smell or does ura asshole smell or her asshole smells.
> No kidding.
> Mostly KSC people.

I figure one of these day I'll roll out onto the parking lot to see a
group picking lice and cooties off each other.

A Muzi wrote:
> Some old fogies (me) are driven to distraction on hearing things like
> 'orientated'. I, for one, have learned to smile and walk away, no one
> being interested in my opinions of language. Languages degrade; get over
> it.

Degrade is the wrong word. Was Latin degrading when it became Italian,
French, Spanish, etc? Was English degrading when it went from the
tongue of Beowulf to that of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales?

Oh, and I would like to point out that the olde version of the
Canterbury Tales had spotty grammar and spelling at best, there have
been many cyclic periods of sexual liberation and confinement throughout
history, and the Golden Past, whatever ideal one holds it to be, will
always be something that never was. :)

\\paul

--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.

On Feb 25, 6:11 pm, datakoll <[email protected]> wrote:
> slicks doan have no cuts in the contact rubbah. nada.
> someone will show up; "OUT TYRE is a semi slIick so its better
> because...you know when you fall"
> or "OUR TYRE produces more profit because the mold uses less
> rubber..."
>
> and here's Conti with fewer knobs
>
> http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=20914&...
>
> casuing, I assume, better knob surface penetration.

our tyre NOT out tyre
sorry

Andrew Muzi writes:

> Some old fogies (me) are driven to distraction on hearing things
> like 'orientated'. I, for one, have learned to smile and walk away,
> no one being interested in my opinions of language. Languages
> degrade; get over it.

What is your methodology on that? I notice that:

Psychology: Study of Psychological matters
Mineralogy: Study of minerals
Theology: Study of religion and deities
Biology: Study of plants and animals
etc...

Therefore, consistent with the language, the word originally meant the
study of methods of one kind or another, whereas the common use seems
to be a more imposing word for method.

It's like "my personal opinion on that" aka "I believe..." but the
overwhelming majority of these long words and phrases seem to be used
to be more impressive. I'm with Andrew, for me these flourishes cast
doubt on what the writer has to say.

Sometimes it is a dodge from the fear of expressing an opinion,
because being opinionated is horrid. That's why writers often use
"hopefully you'll succeed" rather than "I hope you succeed" in order
to not express an opinion.

What a bunch of dangling adverbialism!...

hopefully

Jobst Brandt