Conti Gators? Or something else?

Dave Stallard

Guest
It's past time for a new pair of Conti Gatorskins. I have had the same
700x25C pair (with wire bead) for almost 4 years now. I was thinking
about trying Kevlar bead, but they don't seem to have one except for the
folding variant. I've heard that the Kevlar bead ones are much harder
to get on. True?

I'm also wondering about trying some other brand/model altogether, since
the Gators haven't been *that* invincible. Any ideas? I don't like
Spec Armadillos, BTW - I got a through-and-through holes in one that
let in debris in that caused flats.

I'm not a commuter rider, and try to avoid rough and bad roads. I just
hate flats!

Dave

On Jun 3, 11:00 pm, Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote:
> It's past time for a new pair of Conti Gatorskins. I have had the same
> 700x25C pair (with wire bead) for almost 4 years now. I was thinking
> about trying Kevlar bead, but they don't seem to have one except for the
> folding variant. I've heard that the Kevlar bead ones are much harder
> to get on. True?
>
> I'm also wondering about trying some other brand/model altogether, since
> the Gators haven't been *that* invincible. Any ideas? I don't like
> Spec Armadillos, BTW - I got a through-and-through holes in one that
> let in debris in that caused flats.
>
> I'm not a commuter rider, and try to avoid rough and bad roads. I just
> hate flats!
>
> Dave

Dave :

Gatorskins have worked absolutely fine for me in 5000 miles atleast. I
don't remember a single flat during the time I had them on. I wouldn't
really recommend them for racing but I have done it, taking it to even
the Tour of Battenkill early this year where there was plenty of dirt
roads. Served me very well. It is true that they don't come with
kevlar beads, that'd make the tire more heavy.

From my experience, only certain folding tires have given me a heck of
a time to put onto the rim.

On Jun 3, 9:00 pm, Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote:
> It's past time for a new pair of Conti Gatorskins.   I have had the same
> 700x25C pair (with wire bead) for almost 4 years now.   I was thinking
> about trying Kevlar bead, but they don't seem to have one except for the
> folding variant.   I've heard that the Kevlar bead ones are much harder
> to get on.  True?

No, just the opposite. The folders, kevlar bead, are easier to get
on.

Great tire, we sell many.

On 2008-06-04, Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote:
> It's past time for a new pair of Conti Gatorskins. I have had the same
> 700x25C pair (with wire bead) for almost 4 years now. I was thinking
> about trying Kevlar bead, but they don't seem to have one except for the
> folding variant. I've heard that the Kevlar bead ones are much harder
> to get on. True?

Not for me. I switched from Gatorskins to the Conti Ultra Race with a
folding bead, and I can mount them by hand (Gatorskins always required
levers, and some serious expansion of my vocabulary). I've not had any
issues with fl*ts on the Ultra Race tires.

I've got AlexRim AT450s. YMMV if your rims are different, but the Kevlar
bead should have more give for mounting.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff
[email protected]

Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:
> On Jun 3, 9:00 pm, Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote:
>> It's past time for a new pair of Conti Gatorskins. I have had the same
>> 700x25C pair (with wire bead) for almost 4 years now. I was thinking
>> about trying Kevlar bead, but they don't seem to have one except for the
>> folding variant. I've heard that the Kevlar bead ones are much harder
>> to get on. True?

> No, just the opposite. The folders, kevlar bead, are easier to get
> on.

Are the folders suitable as one's main tire, or should one consider them
as an emergency spare tire? Looks like they are only available in 23C
but I prefer wider for my roads - 25C.

I do carry a folding spare on longer rides. I forget the make but have
never had to use it.

Dave

Dave Stallard wrote:
> It's past time for a new pair of Conti Gatorskins.   I have had the same
> 700x25C pair (with wire bead) for almost 4 years now.   I was thinking
> about trying Kevlar bead, but they don't seem to have one except for the
> folding variant.   I've heard that the Kevlar bead ones are much harder
> to get on.  True?

Depends on the tire. The kevlar bead is lighter and also tends to
stretch a bit while wire beads don't. I think all kevlar bead tires
are foldable. Did you mean kevlar belt?

> I'm also wondering about trying some other brand/model altogether, since
> the Gators haven't been *that* invincible.  Any ideas?   I don't like
> Spec Armadillos, BTW  - I got a through-and-through holes in one that
> let in debris in that caused flats.
>
> I'm not a commuter rider, and try to avoid rough and bad roads.   I just
> hate flats!

I've gotten great mileage and no flats with IRC Road Winner II Duro.
Nashbar used to sell them real cheap. They were originally made in
Japan, but now are made in Korea. All of mine have the tan sidewalls
(even though some were made in Korea). The 700 x 28 size measures 25
mm wide on my rims. Weight is about 280 g.

I've heard some complaints about the newer black sidewall version, and
I understand the widths now run true to size. BTW, IRC made the Avocet
brand of tires. Both IRC and Avocet tires are getting hard to find.

http://www.amazon.com/IRC-Road-Winner-Duro-Aramid/dp/B000C12D4I

Art Harris

On Jun 4, 8:10 am, Art Harris <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dave Stallard wrote:
> > It's past time for a new pair of Conti Gatorskins.   I have had the same
> > 700x25C pair (with wire bead) for almost 4 years now.   I was thinking
> > about trying Kevlar bead, but they don't seem to have one except for the
> > folding variant.   I've heard that the Kevlar bead ones are much harder
> > to get on.  True?

> Depends on the tire. The kevlar bead is lighter and also tends to
> stretch a bit while wire beads don't. I think all kevlar bead tires
> are foldable. Did you mean kevlar belt?
>
> > I'm also wondering about trying some other brand/model altogether, since
> > the Gators haven't been *that* invincible.  Any ideas?   I don't like
> > Spec Armadillos, BTW  - I got a through-and-through holes in one that
> > let in debris in that caused flats.

> > I'm not a commuter rider, and try to avoid rough and bad roads.   I just
> > hate flats!

> I've gotten great mileage and no flats with IRC Road Winner II Duro.
> Nashbar used to sell them real cheap. They were originally made in
> Japan, but now are made in Korea. All of mine have the tan sidewalls
> (even though some were made in Korea). The 700 x 28 size measures 25
> mm wide on my rims. Weight is about 280 g.
>
> I've heard some complaints about the newer black sidewall version, and
> I understand the widths now run true to size. BTW, IRC made the Avocet
> brand of tires. Both IRC and Avocet tires are getting hard to find.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/IRC-Road-Winner-Duro-Aramid/dp/B000C12D4I

IRCs are great. Very nice casings. Supple, good ride. Quite flat
resistant without being "hosey". True to size and mount to most rims
with thumbs or maybe a single lever. I've retired my IRC Tandems with
the same casing to my city scoot with a good 5K on them. Never a flat,
but it wouldn't stress me much if I got one.

What stresses me are tires that are hard to get on/off, not fixing
flats. I zipped down to the shop last Saturday to grab some fresh
tubes, as I'd been running skinnies in 32mm tires and that's just
asking for trouble (sure enough, both valve stems just about fell out
of the old tubes when removed). Swapped them really quick my self, and
D---, the front of the house guy, was impressed at how quickly my
tires just popped open and shut with the new tubes and commented how
much of a PITA much of their stock is, most of it Conti wire bead--
especially the stock combo on the Kona Paddywagon. We pulled a PW off
the shelf, being bored, unnutted the front wheel, and neither of us
felt that we could get the front tire off w/o breaking one of the two
nylon levers I had handy or fubaring the tube. Surely we could have
grabbed a nicer lever from K--- back in the bay, but the point was
made.

Fixing a flat on the side of the road on a dry day should be an
uneventful activity--provided you can get the damn tire off the rim...

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 08:46:26 -0400, Dave Stallard
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Are the folders suitable as one's main tire, or should one consider them
>as an emergency spare tire? Looks like they are only available in 23C
>but I prefer wider for my roads - 25C.

Foldable tires are just as durable as wire-beaded tires of the same
model/size.

On Jun 4, 6:46 am, Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.comwrote:
>
> > On Jun 3, 9:00 pm, Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> It's past time for a new pair of Conti Gatorskins.   I have had the same
> >> 700x25C pair (with wire bead) for almost 4 years now.   I was thinking
> >> about trying Kevlar bead, but they don't seem to have one except for the
> >> folding variant.   I've heard that the Kevlar bead ones are much harder
> >> to get on.  True?

> > No, just the opposite. The folders, kevlar bead, are easier to get
> > on.

> Are the folders suitable as one's main tire, or should one consider them
> as an emergency spare tire?  Looks like they are only available in 23C
> but I prefer wider for my roads - 25C.
>
> I do carry a folding spare on longer rides. I forget the make but have
> never had to use it.
>
>      Dave

23 and 25 and an everyday tire that is durable. The only advantage of
the folder is it's 'foldable'.

On Jun 3, 9:00 pm, Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote:
> It's past time for a new pair of Conti Gatorskins. I have had the same
> 700x25C pair (with wire bead) for almost 4 years now. I was thinking
> about trying Kevlar bead, but they don't seem to have one except for the
> folding variant. I've heard that the Kevlar bead ones are much harder
> to get on. True?
>
> I'm also wondering about trying some other brand/model altogether, since
> the Gators haven't been *that* invincible. Any ideas? I don't like
> Spec Armadillos, BTW - I got a through-and-through holes in one that
> let in debris in that caused flats.
>
> I'm not a commuter rider, and try to avoid rough and bad roads. I just
> hate flats!
>
> Dave

get the nashbar duros with kevlar beads. I think that they are
panaracers. $19

On Jun 4, 5:41 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 3, 9:00 pm, Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > It's past time for a new pair of Conti Gatorskins. I have had the same
> > 700x25C pair (with wire bead) for almost 4 years now. I was thinking
> > about trying Kevlar bead, but they don't seem to have one except for the
> > folding variant. I've heard that the Kevlar bead ones are much harder
> > to get on. True?

Gatorskins, including the kelvar bead ones, are a favorite of tandem
riders. Good durability and according to Bicycle Quarterly tests
fairly fast. They are rather rough and loud when riding. We run
28's at 120-130 psi on a tandem weighing - well that is classified
stoker information, but lets just say more than most singles.

Wayne Sulak

On Jun 3, 10:00 pm, Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote:
> It's past time for a new pair of Conti Gatorskins.   I have had the same
> 700x25C pair (with wire bead) for almost 4 years now.   I was thinking
> about trying Kevlar bead, but they don't seem to have one except for the
> folding variant.   I've heard that the Kevlar bead ones are much harder
> to get on.  True?
>
> I'm also wondering about trying some other brand/model altogether, since
> the Gators haven't been *that* invincible.  Any ideas?   I don't like
> Spec Armadillos, BTW  - I got a through-and-through holes in one that
> let in debris in that caused flats.
>
> I'm not a commuter rider, and try to avoid rough and bad roads.   I just
> hate flats!
>
>     Dave

The Continental Gran Prix 4 Season is for the most part the same tire
as the Gatorskin. 4 Season is available in 23, 25, 28 mm widths. All
are kevlar bead folding tires. If the kevlar bead Gatorskin 23 is not
wide enough for you. www.probikekit.com has decent pricing on tires.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Jun 3, 10:00 pm, Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>It's past time for a new pair of Conti Gatorskins. I have had the same
>>700x25C pair (with wire bead) for almost 4 years now. I was thinking
>>about trying Kevlar bead, but they don't seem to have one except for the
>>folding variant. I've heard that the Kevlar bead ones are much harder
>>to get on. True?
>>
>>I'm also wondering about trying some other brand/model altogether, since
>>the Gators haven't been *that* invincible. Any ideas? I don't like
>>Spec Armadillos, BTW - I got a through-and-through holes in one that
>>let in debris in that caused flats.
>>
>>I'm not a commuter rider, and try to avoid rough and bad roads. I just
>>hate flats!
>>
>> Dave

> The Continental Gran Prix 4 Season is for the most part the same tire
> as the Gatorskin. 4 Season is available in 23, 25, 28 mm widths. All
> are kevlar bead folding tires. If the kevlar bead Gatorskin 23 is not
> wide enough for you. www.probikekit.com has decent pricing on tires.

Excel Sports (excelsports.com) has foldable Gatorskins 700-23 & 700-25