Conti GP 4000 vs Attack/Force

Walrus

Apr 4, 2004
These 2 racing tyres from Conti have various advantages and technologies, but I'm unclear as to which tyre is suited to which riding? Can anyone explain what riding each tyre would suit best?

Conti GP 4000
Attack/Force

Walrus said:
These 2 racing tyres from Conti have various advantages and technologies, but I'm unclear as to which tyre is suited to which riding? Can anyone explain what riding each tyre would suit best?

Conti GP 4000
Attack/Force

Did you see this chart on their site?
http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/tyre_application/road_application.pdf
The Attack looks like it's made of rubber that's just a nut hair softer than the 3000 (now the 4000), so it will have a bit better grip, but more susceptible to wear and punctures.

Probably makes no difference whatsoever in reality. I've always run the Grand Prix 3000 tires and have had very good luck with them.

If it were me I'd go with the 4000. The 3000 was/is an excellent tire, and I'm sure the 4000 will be as good or better. The Attack Force looks interesting, but I'm not convinced that tread does much good on a bike tire to begin with. If you get the AF combo, make sure you can get the rear seperately, since they'll be wearing out more quickly than the front.

Personally, I prefer the same tire front and rear, because when I replace the rear I usually put the new one on the front and move the old front to the rear. That way I always have fairly new rubber on the front.

cydewaze said:
Personally, I prefer the same tire front and rear, because when I replace the rear I usually put the new one on the front and move the old front to the rear. That way I always have fairly new rubber on the front.
That's a good point. I know on my current set I had a worn section on the rear tyre, so I switched it to the front for peace of mind.

I used the GP Force/Attack combo and found them to be a very good tyre but extremely prone to wear AND punctures. Have since ditched them and am now using the GP 4000s, which feel a little more 'together' than the Force/Attack combo

MY02_STi said:
I used the GP Force/Attack combo and found them to be a very good tyre but extremely prone to wear AND punctures. Have since ditched them and am now using the GP 4000s, which feel a little more 'together' than the Force/Attack combo
I've also been using the 3000s for club riding and training. They been a great road tire for me, with long wear and no punctures in about 10,000 miles. Not cheap, but worth the money.

Believe the Force/Attack combo is Conti's race tire set, which means they are designed for high grip and light weight, not for long wear or puncture resistance. I'd use them for crit racing, but not for daily road riding.

dhk said:
Believe the Force/Attack combo is Conti's race tire set, which means they are designed for high grip and light weight, not for long wear or puncture resistance. I'd use them for crit racing, but not for daily road riding.
The Attack/Force is a fine set for training or racing. The 23mm tire in rear is great for a little extra grip and cushioning (while still being extremely light at around 200g), and the front is slightly thinner for minimal aero benefit. Have 1000 miles on the current set with no noticable wear - both racing and training. Not one puncture yet and they have a ton of bite.

Attack force is more for racing, GP4000 is an all round fast training / racing tyre.

Expect more durability from the 4000 but that's about it really I expect.