Conti GP3000 or Mich Pro Race

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by zerokoo0l, Mar 7, 2004.

1. zerokoo0l

zerokoo0l New Member

I am ordering replacement tires for my Trek 5200 as the stock Bontrager Race Lites are not wearing well. I am trying to decide between Continental Grand Prix 3000 and Michelin Pro Race, any suggestions. If I am missing a better choice let me know also. Thanks.

Tags:

2. mjw_byrne

mjw_byrne New Member

Is it just wear you're concerned about, or do you have other requirements, e.g. low rolling resistance, weight, puncture-resistance etc.?

I use Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX tyres - they're really light, roll very well and are very easy to get on and off the rim (handy if you get a puncture). They also seem to wear reasonably well, although admittedly I didn't put tons of miles on them. The reason I mention these is that Vittoria has some new ones out - CG instead of CX. They are meant to be similar but tougher - harder wearing and more puncture-resistant.

As to your original choices, I have read that the Conti tyres are harder-wearing. Hope this helps.

3. shokhead1

shokhead1 New Member

I just order a set of 4-seasons to replace the ones on my bike.I'll do the rear for now.2050 miles on it with zero flats.Its almost the same as the GP3000. Got the pro's on my felt with 700 miles and 2 flats.

4. Sprinter_989

Sprinter_989 New Member

My dad had a pair of Michelin Pro Race, he has got 13 punctures since Xmas, bad luck or maybe cursed tyres, he used them for training on rough roads though. He is now replacing the cursed things (as he puts it) with Conti Attack/Force.

5. Julian Radowsky

Julian Radowsky New Member

I used to ride Conti GP3000, loved them.
    My new bike arrived with Michelin Pro Race. I was concerned a bit because the max pressure rating is lower than that of the GP 3000, but after one ride I was converted (even went back to my LBS to trade my two unused spare GP3000 tires for Pro Race)

The Michelins are SUPPOSEDLY not as durable as the GP3000, but I prefer the ride and handling of the Michelins, so I am willing to take the chance (I have had only 2 punctures in 2500 kilometers)

6. mjw_byrne

mjw_byrne New Member

Julian: I've read that the Conti GP3000s suffer from very high rolling resistance when compared to other performance road tyres. Would you say this is true?

7. rek

rek New Member

I would hope the GP3000s are a lot better than the Conti Ultra 3000s I had for a little while. Those tyres sucked, but not quite as badly as the old Vittoria Tecno Sports I had before that...

I second the recommendation of the Vittoria Open Corsa CX. They make the ride wonderfully smooth. They are a little on the expensive side though.

8. lokstah

lokstah New Member

True, good point. These tires both have reputations for wearing quickly. I've never used the GPs, but the last pair of Michelin ProRaces I used ran over all sorts of nonsense on the road for about 2000 miles with no flats or serious cuts/punctures. I replaced them for the heck of it.

Luck, maybe. Still, I'd use them again without too much concern about their lifespan. That is, until I have a nasty experience, of course.

9. BaCardi

BaCardi New Member

I would get the GPs. The rubber sticks a little better. The Michies are nice, but they tend to get hard over time and get cracks in the tread pretty quickly. The GPs last longer. Anyone says that they don't hasn't tried a pair. Vittoria CXs have a better softer ride, but wear out real fast!

10. Aztec

Aztec New Member

I have a pair of the Michelins on my 2nd set of wheels. I honestly cannot tell the difference between them and my $20 Specialized Turbo Cippolinis on my primary wheels. For that reason, unless I find myself just missing the podium by a teensy bit, I won't be blowing big cash on tires again. Durability means so much more when they all roll pretty close to the same!

As an aside, I had a set of the Vittorias (open pro, I think) that were $50+ each. They got cut badly and wore out in under 1000 miles. I have about that on the Specializeds, and they still look perfectly fresh.

11. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Actually, my girlfriend's bike has the new Specialized Turbos and I think they're pretty promising tires. Some racer friends of mine have started using them in crits, much to the shock of their buddies -- and they're doing well. They've got a really stiff buildup or compound going from the center off towards the sidewalls; really lends to tight cornering.

Seem durable too. What have your experiences been with them?

12. zerokoo0l

zerokoo0l New Member

Thanks for all of the input, I do not really mind the shorter life of a tire if it performs/handles well. Based on recommendations of a few of you I decided to check into the Vittoria Open Corsa CX and found that Nashbar is running them at 39.99 each with a 20% off online code (MCF5) given on this forum the other day so at 74.98 2 Day shipping included I decided to give these a try as they seem to be a favorite and at a good price, if I do not like them I will try the GP3000 next. Thanks Again.

13. lokstah

lokstah New Member

I just bought some Vittoria Open Corsa TTs in white/black; haven't put any miles on them yet, though. For those of you following the saga, they go on the phantom Klein...

14. BaCardi

BaCardi New Member

Good deal. If you've never ridden a pair with real cotton casing, you're going to love the ride!

15. Fixey

Fixey New Member

I am not a fan of conty, I use primarily Mich ppro's but recently I went to speedy. Mich have a problem with traction in the wet IMO so I may go to Rubino Pro's for training, Big races I go for Veloflex, by far the fastest open I have riden and I have riden most.

16. rjcamsr

rjcamsr New Member

I also have a 5200 and replaced the Bontragers with Conti Force Attacks. They have a great supple feel that reminds me of tubies. I have about 700 mi on them. No flats so far.

17. Eidetic

Eidetic New Member

The road shoulders here really chew up tires. I had as many as 4 flats a week on both Mich. Pro Race and on Conti GP3000. Those were record weeks. Most weeks I had no flats, about 100 miles per week. Both types wore (too) fast. I changed to Conti Gatorskins, had a flat a month, then added Spin Skins, and have had no flats on the same roads. The GPs and PRs were about the same perfornance wise for me... unless it was wet, then the PRs were scary when cornering.

18. shokhead12

shokhead12 New Member

The pro's,imo are not everyday tires as the GP's are. 2000 miles on a rear tire is pretty good. I wouldnt get that on the pro's but would on the GP's.

19. Aztec

Aztec New Member

I have been running Specialized Cippolinis. In about 2000 miles, one stinkin' flat. On my other bike, I have Mich Pro Races. In about 200 miles, two flats. Same roads, roughly same amount of debris.

I hate flats! I'm pulling off the Michelins and slapping on a set of Specialized Mondo Pros. I'm not a big weight weenie, but even if I were, the extra 20g or so is nil.

If anyone wants to buy those Pro Races from me, drop me a PM. I paid $50 each. No visible cuts or holes, despite the two flats.

20. quantum

quantum New Member

I'd go with Conti. I've run both, and have had better results with Conti.