Conti GP4000 Tyres

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by HughMann, May 13, 2006.

  1. HughMann

    HughMann New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2004
    A number of Melbourne a.bers have bought GP4000's (from PBK) and I am wondering how they are going. What are the first impressions of ride, grip, wear, speed etc. ?Have they lived up to expectations and are they worth the $ ?
    My Gators have just about had their day and PBK GP4000's are less $ than LBS Gators.

    Cheers
    Hugh

    Tags:

  2. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    Love em...

    Ride - umm... round?
    Grip - plenty...
    Wear - seems very good...
    Speed - depends on the rider :)
    Worth the money - for around $42each then for sure...

    cheers,
    GPL

  3. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    bah! too slow for a mountain goat like me... go the pro race's!!:rolleyes:

    PS:Actually i'm thinking of converting

    PPS: Lama?? Aren't you in Ballarat?? Bloody hell, you can find an internet connection pretty quick..

  4. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    I am - and yep, where there's a wireless there's a way ;)

    (laying on the bed upstairs at the Mrs' folks home... playing on the interwebnet )

    cheers,
    GPL

  5. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    I don't know if it is the fact I used Pro Race's for such a long time, I agree with everything GP said about the Conti's... but I actually reckon the Pro Races... have a slightly better feel about them when riding... I have a GP4000 on the back at the moment, but am going to put on a Pro Race 2, again next time to compare.

    Having said that... checking the GP 4000 for wear... and it certainly seems to be a lot more resistant to those small nicks that appear after time then the Pro Race 2's

  6. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Ok the GP4000's aren't bullet proof when going a bit too quick through a roundabout on a wet road...so I found out. Bloody good tire otherwise.

    Just doing my bit to take the heat off the crash bandicoot :)

  7. jim

    jim Guest

    I brought 4 from PBK 6 months ago and they have been ok re handling - even
    in the wet (but do read TimC's note above)

    not very impressed with wear or puncture proofing - the 3000s i had on prior
    did better on both fronts

    "HughMann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > A number of Melbourne a.bers have bought GP4000's (from PBK) and I am
    > wondering how they are going. What are the first impressions of ride,
    > grip, wear, speed etc. ?Have they lived up to expectations and are
    > they worth the $ ?
    > My Gators have just about had their day and PBK GP4000's are less $
    > than LBS Gators.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Hugh
    >

    > --
    > HughMann

  8. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    Must be some serious karma after talking up the pro-race's cos I punctured this morning the the R##N!! Still managed another sub 15 up the 1/20:p I actually did all the work this time too...

    Jono

  9. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-05-14, jim (aka Bruce)
    > I brought 4 from PBK 6 months ago and they have been ok re handling - even
    > in the wet (but do read TimC's note above)
    >
    > not very impressed with wear or puncture proofing - the 3000s i had on prior
    > did better on both fronts

    How many k's? I heard good things about the Rubinos, but they wore
    for me quickly. It's those nicks that someone commented about -- they
    get nicks quite easily, which are big enough to let the tube bulge
    out.

    Noticed today that my GP4000s bulge at the valve stem on the front,
    today. Tried to reseat the tire, and pumped it up twice, but still no
    go. It looks like a place where the tube folded.

    --
    TimC
    It's written GNU/Linux, and pronounced "Linux". Or, "Linux, with a

  10. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-05-14, Jono L (aka Bruce)
    > Must be some serious karma after talking up the pro-race's cos I
    > punctured this morning the the R##N!! Still managed another sub 15 up
    > the 1/20:p I actually did all the work this time too...

    You probably didn't read my other post, because it was too long, but
    how many people ride that in the winter?

    Next week is BR100, so I'll ride there, but I'm missing the 1/20
    action :)

    --
    TimC
    ``Hello, my userid is root and if you feed me caffeine, nobody gets hurt.''

  11. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    i guess about an average of tenish. However, get some rain and you may be on your own...

    It seems to have become the ride that most people do if there's nothing else to do...