Conti Grand prix 3000- what gives?!?!

sssarahevt

Mar 16, 2004
so I'm on my second pair of the "new and improved" 3000's, and am getting the slits in the tread again. The first pair I had my shop took and sent to the distributor and gave me new ones, but now it's happened again. Is this the norm for their new rubber? Does it suck and they're just too slow to realize, or am I doing something wrong? I loved their old tires and would hate to have to find a new tire, but at $50 a pop, I expect better!! Any help??

Originally posted by sssarahevt
so I'm on my second pair of the "new and improved" 3000's, and am getting the slits in the tread again. The first pair I had my shop took and sent to the distributor and gave me new ones, but now it's happened again. Is this the norm for their new rubber? Does it suck and they're just too slow to realize, or am I doing something wrong? I loved their old tires and would hate to have to find a new tire, but at $50 a pop, I expect better!! Any help??

Yeah........ if your dissatisfied with the quality of a High performance tire(GP 3000 falls in that line, since its up in the $40+ price range) ............... GO with Veloflex Pave's !!!!:)

I have had a couple of pairs of the GP 3000's ...... and find that they work great as FRONT tires.... and mainly used in bad weather(rainy weather) .... since they have great traction, and that is a important trait for a front tire. When I have used them as rear tires....... the tread just does not seem to hold up........... and the rubber turns into rubble ASAP !!! I have had slits on the side-walls of my GP 3000's............ which is really bunk to me for having to spend that much on a tire, IMHO.

For a High Performance clincher... go with Veloflex Pave's @ about $40-45 ea.

For a Training ... high milage tire.... go with an older Continental Super Sport... or Ultra Super Sport....... or the newer Ultra 2000.. or Ultra 3000(Performance Bike has these on sale right now.... smokin price !!).

A great all around tire- for training and racing...... go with a Conti. Grand Prix !

Originally posted by sssarahevt

Compared to the Michelin slicks I've tried, 3000s are the most durable high performance road tires I've found yet. What tires have you used that are more cut-resistant than the 3000s?

If the road surfaces you ride are made with sharp crushed rock, you may need a heavy-duty tire, not a lightweight like the 3000.

Also, in my experience, running the max rated inflation pressure on anything less than perfect smooth paving will result in more cuts (as well as increased rolling resistance and a harsh ride). At 168lbs/76 kg bodyweight, I like 90-95 psi front, and 95-100 rear.