Conti sidewall issues

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Ollie, Jun 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ollie

Ollie Guest

Does anyone have any recent experience with conti's. I tried some a few years ago (a pair of
    semi-slicks, and a pair of knobbies), and found that their side walls wore out very quickly,
    breaking in several places before the tread had worn very mutch at all. I'm now working in a bike
    shop which sells them and have noticed that they claim to have delt with this problem. Any feedback
    on how they went? Cheers Ollie

Tags:

2. Mark Hickey

Mark Hickey Guest

"Ollie" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone have any recent experience with conti's. I tried some a few years ago (a pair of
    >semi-slicks, and a pair of knobbies), and found that their side walls wore out very quickly,
    >breaking in several places before the tread had worn very mutch at all. I'm now working in a bike
    >shop which sells them and have noticed that they claim to have delt with this problem. Any feedback
    >on how they went?

The Contis I'm running now show wear on the sidewalls, but it doesn't seem to be affecting their
    strength and/or longevity. The trick has always been to ride enough miles to wear out the tread
    before the sidewalls go south.

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

3. Wanguard

Wanguard Guest

"Ollie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone have any recent experience with conti's. I tried some a few years ago (a pair of
    > semi-slicks, and a pair of knobbies), and found that their side walls wore out very quickly,
    > breaking in several places before the tread had worn very mutch at all. I'm now working in a bike
    > shop which sells them and have noticed that they claim to have delt with this
    problem.
    > Any feedback on how they went? Cheers Ollie
    >
    >

Nothing as such. I am riding Conti Vertical Pro 2.3 fifth pair and sixth is due in a week or two.
    They wear pretty fast but they are consistent in wear, no unusual damages to the tire. Like them a
    lot, same as few of my friends.

D'amir

4. Survival ProTection 2.3" (front) and a Survival Pro 2.1(rear), no problems

5. Supabonbon

Supabonbon Guest

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Ollie" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Does anyone have any recent experience with conti's. I tried some a few years ago (a pair of
    > >semi-slicks, and a pair of knobbies), and found that their side walls wore out very quickly,
    > >breaking in several places before the tread had worn very mutch at all. I'm now working in a bike
    > >shop which sells them and have noticed that they claim to have delt with this problem. Any
    > >feedback on how they went?
    >
    > The Contis I'm running now show wear on the sidewalls, but it doesn't seem to be affecting their
    > strength and/or longevity. The trick has always been to ride enough miles to wear out the tread
    > before the sidewalls go south.
    >
    > Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

I've had problems with Michelin sidewalls, but not Contis. /s

6. Bruce

Bruce Guest

"ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > Survival ProTection 2.3" (front) and a Survival Pro 2.1(rear), no problems
    >

What's the difference between the Pro and the Pro-Tection versions. I'm running vertical Pro 2.3
    front and rear. Did I the crappy version like the cheap Taiwan FIre XC Pro?

7. Jd

Jd Guest

"wanguard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Ollie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Does anyone have any recent experience with conti's. I tried some a few years ago (a pair of
    > > semi-slicks, and a pair of knobbies), and found that their side walls wore out very quickly,
    > > breaking in several places before the tread had worn very mutch at all. I'm now working in a
    > > bike shop which sells them and have noticed that they claim to have delt with this
    > problem.
    > > Any feedback on how they went? Cheers Ollie
    > >
    > >
    >
    > Nothing as such. I am riding Conti Vertical Pro 2.3 fifth pair and sixth is due in a week or two.
    > They wear pretty fast but they are consistent in wear, no unusual damages to the tire. Like them a
    > lot, same as few of my friends.

They (Vertical Pro 2.3) are great on everything but hardpack and slickrock for me and have worn
    well. Very predictable tires.

JD

8. Bruce wrote:
    > "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Survival ProTection 2.3" (front) and a Survival Pro 2.1(rear), no problems
    >>
    >
    >
    > What's the difference between the Pro and the Pro-Tection versions.

Kevlar sidewalls

9. Bruce

Bruce Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.