Conti Supersonics & Ksyrium: Any blow-offs?

bikaholic

New Member
Nov 20, 2003
HI All,

I ran Conti SS last year on Mavic Open Pro, upgraded to Ksyrium for next season.
I've heard of SS tires "blowingoff/self-dismounting" from the K's rim when inflated to high pressures.
Can anyone verify this happens?

Thanks,
Adam
Bikaholic

Lemond Ti '01
LeMond Zurich '98
Schwinn Panther '00
GT Dyno Von Franco '99
Motobecane Mirage '73
Diamondback V-link '95

bikaholc-<< I ran Conti SS last year on Mavic Open Pro, upgraded to Ksyrium for next season.
>><BR><BR>

No comment, a subject of another 'discussion'...

bikaholic-<< I've heard of SS tires "blowingoff/self-dismounting" from the K's rim when inflated to
high pressures. Can anyone verify this happens?
>><BR><BR>

The 'hook' of this rim is very similar to OpenPro, i would not worry about it but I wouldn't pump
these up to the side max pressure either, or any tire, for that matter...

bikaholic wrote:
> I ran Conti SS last year on Mavic Open Pro, upgraded to Ksyrium for next season. I've heard of SS
> tires "blowingoff/self-dismounting" from the K's rim when inflated to high pressures. Can anyone
> verify this happens?

I don't know, but with any suspect combination, I test by over-inflating* and leaving to stand for
36 hours. If tyre survives that, it should be ok at normal pressure in normal use.

This test confirmed that a particular pair of Vittoria Open Corsas were looser (larger?) than normal
after they blew off my Open Pro rims out on the road. Must have been from a bad batch. They've been
fine on MA2s, and other examples of the same tyres have been fine on the OPs despite being
beautifully easy to fit and remove.

* by as much as you think the rim can take without damage (to the rim). Be prepared to loose an
inner tube and warn the neighbours. The bang will be loud! :)

~PB

> but I wouldn't pump these up to the side max pressure either, or any tire,
for
> that matter...

Question: some tires appear not to list a MAX pressure, but instead say "inflate to XX PSI". In this
case, is it safe to inflate to the prescribed pressure?

Kyle

> > I ran Conti SS last year on Mavic Open Pro, upgraded to Ksyrium for next season. I've heard of
> > SS tires "blowingoff/self-dismounting" from the K's rim when inflated to high pressures. Can
> > anyone verify this happens?
>
> I don't know, but with any suspect combination, I test by over-inflating* and leaving to stand for
> 36 hours. If tyre survives that, it should be ok at normal pressure in normal use.
>
> This test confirmed that a particular pair of Vittoria Open Corsas were looser (larger?) than
> normal after they blew off my Open Pro rims out on the road. Must have been from a bad batch.
> They've been fine on MA2s, and other examples of the same tyres have been fine on the OPs despite
> being beautifully easy to fit and remove.
>
> * by as much as you think the rim can take without damage (to the rim). Be prepared to loose an
> inner tube and warn the neighbours. The bang will be loud! :)
>
> ~PB

I agree with PB....The tire could be miss-formed and thus causing the tire to creep off the rim over
a certain period of time. This time is also a function of the pressure. The higher the pressure the
sooner the tire will come off....Best resolve is to 1. Inspect the rim hooks thoroughly, make sure
your blow outs have not damaged the rim 2. Get another tire and mount 3. Inflate to MAX Pressure and
let the tire sit for a couple of days.....If you have the same results you know there is an issue
with the rim/rim strip....Otherwise it is just a miss-formed tire. This is something that can happen
in a soft, pliable product like rubber.

CB-1