Continental 4000 grand prix - possible side wall problem

dhk2 said:
IME, GP4000 puncture resistance is great for the tread, but the sidewalls are pretty thin. I just replaced a rear GP4000 today that had a sidewall cut from riding through some gravel on the shoulder of the road. Booted the tire about a month ago, hoping to be able to get more wear out of it, but the cut opened up anyway and caused the tube to fail.

In three years and over 15K miles of using GP's, this is the second sidewall cut-through I've had which caused me to replace the tire. I've never had a cut or puncture through the tread in all those miles.

And how much mileage\time are you expecting from other tires?

My tires don't last that long :(

knonfs said:
And how much mileage\time are you expecting from other tires?

My tires don't last that long :(
I've been getting 2800-3000 miles with the Conti's on the rear, except when I cut a sidewall of course. As you know, the front tread wears really slowly compared to the rear. Have started the practice of putting the new tire on the front and rotating the old one to the back. Would think tire life depends a lot on where and how you ride. I don't race or hammer big gear sprints too often, and do most climbing seated.

Didn't get as much mileage with the old ProRace I used to run, but that was before ProRace 2 came out. Got away from Michelins due to problems with cuts through the tread; they would pick up small stone chips or glass shards and cut through. Maybe the ProRace 2 have improved puncture resistance, but haven't tried them yet. Have read the Kryliums deliver more mileage at the expense of a slight increase in rolling resistance and perhaps less grip.

What I'm looking for are low RR race tires with great ride that are puncture-proof and last 5K miles....that doesn't seem so difficult ;)

I purchased a pair of 4000's during the winter and was excited to try them out this year. I only had them on for 2 months until the rear tire had a severe sidewall blowout (the hole was about 3/4 inch). I inspect my tires after every ride and did not notice anything peculiar. I did, however, notice the "fraying" that other people were talking about of the sidewall (I believe that this has nothing to do with the blowout). Also, the day of the blowout, I never noticed running anything over and was careful like usual. Before the blowout, in the 2 months of riding on the 4ooo's, I had 3 flats. All but one were caused by tiny glass shard that got imbedded in the tire. Every one punctured the lining and into the tubes. When I finally threw them out, they looked like they have been through a war. In my opinion, not what you want out of a tire in 2 months. Just to let everyone know, I have been riding on Michelin Krylion Carbons since and have not had a single nick in them (it has been about 3 weeks so knock on wood for me!) Thanks for listening....

dhk2 said:
I've been getting 2800-3000 miles with the Conti's on the rear, except when I cut a sidewall of course. As you know, the front tread wears really slowly compared to the rear. Have started the practice of putting the new tire on the front and rotating the old one to the back. Would think tire life depends a lot on where and how you ride. I don't race or hammer big gear sprints too often, and do most climbing seated.

I rotate the same tires every couple of months, I adopted the automobile tire rotation theory. I've been able to save quite some money this way :)

dhk2 said:
Got away from Michelins due to problems with cuts through the tread; they would pick up small stone chips or glass shards and cut through. Maybe the ProRace 2 have improved puncture resistance, but haven't tried them yet.

I never used the Pro Race, however you are describing the actual conditions of my Pro Race 2

trstaple said:
I purchased a pair of 4000's during the winter and was excited to try them out this year. I only had them on for 2 months until the rear tire had a severe sidewall blowout (the hole was about 3/4 inch). I inspect my tires after every ride and did not notice anything peculiar. I did, however, notice the "fraying" that other people were talking about of the sidewall (I believe that this has nothing to do with the blowout). Also, the day of the blowout, I never noticed running anything over and was careful like usual. Before the blowout, in the 2 months of riding on the 4ooo's, I had 3 flats. All but one were caused by tiny glass shard that got imbedded in the tire. Every one punctured the lining and into the tubes. When I finally threw them out, they looked like they have been through a war. In my opinion, not what you want out of a tire in 2 months. Just to let everyone know, I have been riding on Michelin Krylion Carbons since and have not had a single nick in them (it has been about 3 weeks so knock on wood for me!) Thanks for listening....

I haven't seen this blowout problem on my buddys GP4000, I hope I don't experience it on my awaiting to be install GP4000 :(

BTW - My Buddy is a firm believer of inflating his tires to the max recommended PSI, so his GP4000 are always set to 120psi, even though he tips the scale at 175lbs :eek:

knonfs said:
I haven't seen this blowout problem on my buddys GP4000, I hope I don't experience it on my awaiting to be install GP4000 :(

BTW - My Buddy is a firm believer of inflating his tires to the max recommended PSI, so his GP4000 are always set to 120psi, even though he tips the scale at 175lbs :eek:
High pressures make tires more vunerable to cuts and punctures. Believe Conti quotes max puncture resistance for their tires at 95 psi, although their recommended pressure on the box is 110 (max rating is 120 psi).

Max pressure is great if you ride on velodromes or glass-smooth roads, but not so good on the roads most of us ride where all you get is reduced grip and a harsh ride.

trstaple said:
That the second time I've heard of a blow out on a relatively new GP4000. The first I heard of it was from a guy that worked at the lbs I bought my set of GP4000's at. Kinda scary when blow outs happen, especially if your doing 40+ mph.

thanks, i will look and see

100% said:
li rider.. if you have the GP4000 there is a wear indicator on the tire surface, there are a few little holes/ dimples in the tread and when the tread wears out to these its gone.. no to find them have a look around the tire right in the middle and see if can see them (about 1.5 - 2mm across) otherwise on the side of the tire there are the letters TWI and an arrow to where they should be

+1 on the Conti 4000 - love the ride but the sidewall cuts rather than wear terminate the tyre. Giving the new black chilli's a go before I change brands or drop down to a Gatorskin which have much tougher sidewalls.

dhk2 said:
High pressures make tires more vunerable to cuts and punctures. Believe Conti quotes max puncture resistance for their tires at 95 psi, although their recommended pressure on the box is 110 (max rating is 120 psi).

Max pressure is great if you ride on velodromes or glass-smooth roads, but not so good on the roads most of us ride where all you get is reduced grip and a harsh ride.

This is true, however I was stating it because there might be a relation between "recommended" PSI and sidewall problems?

knonfs said:
I rotate the same tires every couple of months, I adopted the automobile tire rotation theory. I've been able to save quite some money this way :)

I never used the Pro Race, however you are describing the actual conditions of my Pro Race 2
How do you figure that you are saving money?:confused: Or did I miss the sarcasm?:rolleyes:

dekindy said:
How do you figure that you are saving money?:confused: Or did I miss the sarcasm?:rolleyes:

Don't have to replace the rear tire every 6-8 months, by just rotating them.

knonfs said:
Don't you have to replace two tires every 12-16 months then?

And what about handling problems moving the rear from the front? The rear tire wears differently than the front and not in a way that promotes good handling.

Everything that I have ever read says to not rotate. Either just replace the rear or move the front to the rear and replace the front.

I think you are giving bad advice.

knonfs said:

But you accelerate the wear of what was the front tire.

dekindy said:
Don't you have to replace two tires every 12-16 months then?

And what about handling problems moving the rear from the front? The rear tire wears differently than the front and not in a way that promotes good handling.

Everything that I have ever read says to not rotate. Either just replace the rear or move the front to the rear and replace the front.

I think you are giving bad advice.

They will last just a notch longer, in my personal experience.

I haven't had any handling, or flat problems.

Everything you have read says NOT to rotate worn tires. What I AM saying is, rotate them every 30-45 days, when they look exactly the same, NOT when you can tell that one is half way through its life cycle, while the other looks brand new.

alienator said:
But you accelerate the wear of what was the front tire.

Yes, I am actually decelerating the rear wear, and accelarating the front one; OR just balancing both tires wear (as I like to think of it :) )