Continental 4000 grand prix - possible side wall problem

OscarC

Oct 28, 2005
Has anyone who rides the new Conti 4000 Grand Prix noticed any threading on the side wall coming loose? It seems like the layer near the rim edge on the outside is starting to come apart. I see it on both front and rear. I'll try to get pictures. I have about 1700 miles on them. I still have about 400 miles left on the back and about 1800 left on the front. Although I do have the same 1700 miles on the front.

OscarC said:
Has anyone who rides the new Conti 4000 Grand Prix noticed any threading on the side wall coming loose? It seems like the layer near the rim edge on the outside is starting to come apart. I see it on both front and rear.
That is a common problem with Contis. In its later stages the outside edge may deliminate a little and curl toward the rim, somtimes enough that it will touch the brake pads if they are set a little high. It does not affect performance. Just break or cut off the threads.

I stopped using Conti's grand prix tires because I found them to be very susceptible to sidewall cuts. I don't know about the GP4000s--maybe they fixed the problem--but the 3000s had thinner sidewalls than other tires.

What road conditions leads to sidewall cuts? Guess it should be avoided if riding on a pair of Conti GP4000.

sogood said:
What road conditions leads to sidewall cuts? Guess it should be avoided if riding on a pair of Conti GP4000.
Road debris, crappy roads, gravel roads, etc. Sometimes it is just a mystery; you find the tube bulging through the side of the tire and cannot think of anything that might have caused it. I think I lose twenty to twenty-five percent of tires to cuts rather than wear. The GPs were markedly worse than Michelins, Vredsteins, etc.

Bro Deal said:
Road debris, crappy roads, gravel roads, etc. Sometimes it is just a mystery; you find the tube bulging through the side of the tire and cannot think of anything that might have caused it. I think I lose twenty to twenty-five percent of tires to cuts rather than wear. The GPs were markedly worse than Michelins, Vredsteins, etc.
Same here. The GP 3000s seemed very good at resisting punctures and cut through on the thread, but I've lost two of them due to sidewall cuts. Last sidewall was cut running through some branches. It's frustrating to buy an expensive tire that will last 2500-3000 miles on the rear, then have to toss it early. Hope the sidewalls on the 4000s prove to be stronger since I really like the smooth ride and reduced rolling resistance on them vs the 3000s.

Believe any bike tire faces real compromises. Make the sidewalls thin, for low rolling resistance and a good supple ride, and you are prone to cuts. A cheap $10 tire probably has thicker sidewalls, but not many of us want to ride those anymore.

This is the thread I was looking for. I have had GP4000s for about 1500 miles and the rear sidewalls are starting to fray and bulge. At first I thought the rim was bent, but I noticed that it's actually the tire that is mishapen a little. I think I will go get a new rear tire tomorrow. Any good suggestions?

Another set of Conti GP4000?

Isn't it a bit like sports car tyres, nice ones don't necessarily last long. Long lasting ones aren't very nice. ;)

I used to buy Conti with kevlar belt, one of their cheapest models, due to low price, but gave up on them due to sidewall perishing...always had threads/fibres coming loose. Has never happened with Michelins, Vittoria, Specialized.
At the moment I have a Conti Ultrasport on the rear and it is holding up OK so far, though.
I figured the loose threads thing was caused when I had a flat and rode on the rim for maybe 2-3 yards/metres until I came to a stop...

sogood said:

Isn't it a bit like sports car tyres, nice ones don't necessarily last long. Long lasting ones aren't very nice. ;)
I think so too. I think that nice supple sidewalls are what gives a tire superior ride and rolling resistance but at the expense of durability. I almost always cut down a sidewall and have to give up on a tire before the tread wears out.

sogood said:

Definitely.......I'm caught between the proverbial ocean & the deep blue sea......only tried 2 types of fold up tyres, Specialized All Condition Pro, & GP4000. The Pro is 235 grams, better puncture protection, but ride like sh!t. The GP's are 210 grams, comfortable, but cut to bits in 1300 ks {rear, any tyre on the front seems to last}. Glass & small blue metal gravel have cut threads in the tread needing an internal sleeve.
Seriously considering a return to Specialized Armadillo 470 grams :eek:[rear] for the best protection I have ever had.

I have found the Michelin Pro2 Race's of better performance than the Conti GP4000's. They resist punctures at least as well, but roll a bit nicer, and the sidewall is very tough.

not to resurrect a dead thread but i found it while searching to see if anyone else had the same problem i'm experiencing with my contis. threads coming off like crazy. getting in my brakes and hubs. probably about 800-1000 miles on the suckers. sigh...

cheapie said:
not to resurrect a dead thread but i found it while searching to see if anyone else had the same problem i'm experiencing with my contis. threads coming off like crazy. getting in my brakes and hubs. probably about 800-1000 miles on the suckers. sigh...
your problem sound like it's way more severe than what I had. Sound like if you have that many thread coming off, it's probably unsafe and I would take them off. I emailed Conti customer service about the problem a while back and never got an answer. I moved on to Vittoria EVO CX's there after.
Conti now apparently has the Grand Prix 4000 S but haven't tried it. Not sure I'm going to also.

I have not had this problem.

But how do you tell when they need to be replaced? There are supposed to be "tread wear indicators" on the tires, but I can't seem to figure out where or what they are.

OscarC said:
Has anyone who rides the new Conti 4000 Grand Prix noticed any threading on the side wall coming loose? It seems like the layer near the rim edge on the outside is starting to come apart. I see it on both front and rear. I'll try to get pictures. I have about 1700 miles on them. I still have about 400 miles left on the back and about 1800 left on the front. Although I do have the same 1700 miles on the front.

tigradekat said:
I have found the Michelin Pro2 Race's of better performance than the Conti GP4000's. They resist punctures at least as well, but roll a bit nicer, and the sidewall is very tough.

+1. I bought a pair of Michelin Pro2 Races 'cause the LBS was out of Specialized tires except in gaudy colors. I'm amazed by how well the Mich's ride, and they seem just as flat-resistant and long-wearing as lesser tires. I've already bought a second pair to have on standby.

li rider.. if you have the GP4000 there is a wear indicator on the tire surface, there are a few little holes/ dimples in the tread and when the tread wears out to these its gone.. no to find them have a look around the tire right in the middle and see if can see them (about 1.5 - 2mm across) otherwise on the side of the tire there are the letters TWI and an arrow to where they should be

bernmart said:
+1. I bought a pair of Michelin Pro2 Races 'cause the LBS was out of Specialized tires except in gaudy colors. I'm amazed by how well the Mich's ride, and they seem just as flat-resistant and long-wearing as lesser tires. I've already bought a second pair to have on standby.

I ride on Pro 2, and my cycling buddy uses the GP4000, we rarely go through flat tires, however the GP seems to resist punctures a whole lot better than the Pro2. In our experiences, during an undetermine amount of time, the Pro 2 puntucres three times as much as the GP4000.

I would rather replace the tires after 2K miles, than having to fix flats :) That's why I am switching to GP4000 :p

knonfs said:
I ride on Pro 2, and my cycling buddy uses the GP4000, we rarely go through flat tires, however the GP seems to resist punctures a whole lot better than the Pro2. In our experiences, during an undetermine amount of time, the Pro 2 puntucres three times as much as the GP4000.

I would rather replace the tires after 2K miles, than having to fix flats :) That's why I am switching to GP4000 :p
IME, GP4000 puncture resistance is great for the tread, but the sidewalls are pretty thin. I just replaced a rear GP4000 today that had a sidewall cut from riding through some gravel on the shoulder of the road. Booted the tire about a month ago, hoping to be able to get more wear out of it, but the cut opened up anyway and caused the tube to fail.

In three years and over 15K miles of using GP's, this is the second sidewall cut-through I've had which caused me to replace the tire. I've never had a cut or puncture through the tread in all those miles.