Continental 4000S blows

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by tfstrum, Jan 13, 2008.

1. tfstrum

tfstrum New Member

I bought a set of the new Conti 4000S and have had a few pinched tubes. Yesterday was the worst. Filled to ~ 115 lbs, the tube blows and the tire falls apart at the rim seam. I've had the Vittoria open corsa evo's for over 3 years and never had as many problems (I'm glad I kept an old front to use on the rear for now). I wanted to save 20 bucks and the conti has cost me that in tubes, time and CO2.

Don't waste your money, unless your a featherweigth (I'm 175)

Tags:

2. buckybux

buckybux New Member

I have been using the 4000's with a lot of success. But I have also had the same problem you had in the past, but it is NOT the fault of the tire. What has occured is that the tube was pinched between the rim and the tire. Also the rim tape shifts and does not cover the spoke holes will cause pinch flats. I too had a tire blow and destroy the tire, but it was a rim pinch.

Why would you use CO2, it is heavier and a lot more expensive then a floor pump?

3. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

I have heard of no particular problems on Continentals. Are you sure they have been mounted correctly? No defects on the rim in question?

Buckybux, I suspect his reference to CO2 is for pumping things back up while on the road... :)

4. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

While I've not heard of such casing failures on Contis, I do agree that the 4000's do suck, at least in my experience. I've found them to be anything but more flat resistant than any other tires. The sidewalls, as usual per Conti, are wafer thin and easy to cut, and one particularly sweet feature is the tendency of the tires to shed threads along the sidewall, threads that wrap around brakes, forks, and summat.

I give these tires 4 thumbs up the ass.

5. buckybux

buckybux New Member

Thanks for the clarification. I couldn't image using CO2 all the time, but then I take a hand pump even for the emergency fills on the road.

When I repair/replace a tire, I only go for short rides and don't stray more than 2 miles from home until I have ten miles on the tire. That keeps me out of trouble too far from home.

6. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Dear Alienator, let me agree with you in that I do not consider Continentals to be anything special, and I ride Vittoria and/or Veloflex [after less than thrilling experiences with Michelin also]. No need to try any of them 'foreign' brands (yes, I know most Vittorias are now made in Thailand)... ;)

A bit curious about Schwalbe though...

7. ojuice

ojuice New Member

Which tires do you currently use?

8. catlike

catlike New Member

I am using Continental GP4000S. Cannot say a bad word about them. So far I find it bombproof, and i do ride very bad roads. Used Maxxi Detonator before - I prefer Conti.

9. scotty72

scotty72 New Member

I use and like Conti 4000s

They are great but I will conceed that point about the side walls.

If you run over a large shard of glasse etc that can reach the side wall.... not good. In 20000 kms of riding, this has happened only twice.

BTW I'm a heavy dude.

Scotty

10. tfstrum

tfstrum New Member

Thanks for all of the feedback. I think I'll try something else though.

Yes, CO2 for just "road" fills. :cool:

11. knonfs

knonfs New Member

Same here!

I went from Michelin Pro 2 to Conti GP400; only because the Pro2 are more prone to puncture (not by a whole lot though)

12. bing181

bing181 New Member

Wow .. well, I've been using the 4000s's all this year on pretty rotten roads. No punctures at all, just a smooth ride and great grip. Maybe my turn will come .. (though seeing I haven't had a puncture since August 2006, and I do around 10 000 km's a year, not expecting that to be any time soon ..)

B

13. PeterF

PeterF New Member

Personal preference is for Hutchinson Fusion 2's and Fusion Comps. Just like how they grip and roll. They cut a little bit easy, but they are yet to fail on me.

14. azdroptop

azdroptop New Member

Love the gp4000's and have been very happy with their puncture resistance.

15. deckard

deckard New Member

GP4000's here and so far no complaints. 110lbs of pressure and I weigh 145lbs.

16. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

I think all here that either like or don't like Conti 4000s need to remember they are designed as a racing tire, with all the advantages and disadvantages associated with that...just like high end car tires.

17. li rider

li rider New Member

Are the GP4000 the same tires as the 4000S?

18. scotty72

scotty72 New Member

yes

i thonk the op meant GP4000s (as in plural)

19. dbackmtg

dbackmtg New Member

I too have had problems with the sidewalls. I had two conti's, not the 4000's, recieve holes in the sidewalls from twigs.

20. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

I've completed ~3000km on a pair of gp4000 tyres, a lot of it commuting. I've had one puncture, resulting in a 3mm gash that I've patched with a banknote. They wear a little better than ProRace, and seem similarly puncture prone (both not very, in my experience). Both types have pretty ordinary grip in the wet. I agree that the shed threads are annoying. I'll try ProRace2 next, mainly because I haven't used them yet, but also because rolling resistance is better.
    I think people exaggerate the differences between race tyres. If you don't want sidewall damage or punctures, train/ commute on a more solid tyre.