Continental 4000S blows

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by tfstrum, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Bob Ross

Bob Ross New Member

Born & raised here, lived here all my life, and I still don't have a fucking clue how that travesty transpired...

Oh, and, um, I've put about 2500 miles on a set of GP4000S's and had no complaints so far. Got one flat in all that time, from a sizeable glass chip. No visible threads anywhere. I'll probably buy 'em again.

2. Peter Verdesi

Peter Verdesi New Member

+1 on the Hutchinson. The wear out rather quickly (1000 miles) but I've never had a flat with them (knock on wood) and they grip very well. An added benifit is that they can be had rather cheaply if you shop around for them.

3. AngryPenguin

AngryPenguin New Member

I have done nearly 1000 miles on some conti hybrid tyres and have never had any problems from them. Better than the cheap and nasty chineese ones anyway which lasted a spectacular 20 miles before I binned them :eek:.

You get what you pay for up to a point... after which you can spend alot for very little extra performance.

4. Biker Joe

Biker Joe New Member

Alienator,

You are seriously a breath of fresh air. Your pointed witty comments are always to the point and contain excellent information. You bring a smile to my face. ;-)

Oh yeah, I voted for Bush ;-) , twice ;-0 , and my experience with the GP4000S tubbies had been at best OK. I have not has a single one last more than 500 miles. Not the fault of the tire, but the fault of drywall screws, glass, and other shit that should not be on the roads.

I am now riding Veloflex Carbons and really like them. Like the Vittoria Corsa Evo's as well.

Thanks
    Joe

5. ride4him

ride4him New Member

I rode the conti gp4000 tires for a season and never had one flat, but I always do my best to stay clear of glass when I can. I did find that they wore very quickly. I would swap the front/rear every 300 miles or so to try and get the most out of them and I ended up with 2 squared off tires:)
    I would not buy them again.

6. sogood

sogood New Member

Been riding Conti GP4000 for a while now and have found them to be durable and with a minimum number of punctures. The bulk of those flats encountered were due to significantly large sharp objects eg. Nails, staples etc.

Just tried a set of new GP4000 with Chilli compound and have been further impressed by how well it gripped the road. The material seemed significantly different to the old material.

7. mikesbytes

mikesbytes New Member

All brands/models have a % of manufacture fails, hench you shouldn't be put off by the occassional failure, as moving from brand y to brand x isn't going to decrease the risk of getting a dud.

Flat tyres are a bit of a ramdom event, you could have the best tyre protection that money can buy and get more punctures than your mate who's riding on a tyre with no puncture protection.

8. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

I would have to agree with this. I predominantly use GP 4000 and Force/Attack and have never had a problem. Even got a set of G4000 of a mate who had 3 punctures in 60km and they have now done 2000km of hard training without a single incident. On the other hand I know people who love the Evo CX's but I loath them. They got cut to ribbons and were constantly puncturing.

9. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

Just got Evo CXs in the mail from Probikekit today, and my initial reaction is "where's the tread"? Seems the rubber thickness is less than half of the 4000. Hope that "Si02" works wonders; otherwise will be surprised if this tire goes 1000 miles on the back wheel. OTOH, if it's as fast as the test data claims, it could be worth it :)

10. sogood

sogood New Member

Road bike tyres apparently don't aquaplane until well beyond 150km/h (according to Sheldon Brown). So there's really no need for those water dispersing treads.

11. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

Agree. Shouldn't have said "tread" when I was talking about the thickness of the rubber strip stuck on around the casing that we ride on. There just isn't much meat on these tires. The casing appears substantial enough, with Kevlar belt and 290 tpi, but doubt that the actual rubber stuff is more than 1/16 inch thick.

Was sorry to hear that Sheldon Brown died this week. May he Ride in Peace.

12. sogood

sogood New Member

CX is also considered to be a race tyre and in my experience, its wear life is only around half of a GP4000 (without Chilli). I've gone back to GP4000 and have been really impressed with the new Chilli compound. Guess GP4000S would be even nicer.

13. catlike

catlike New Member

I may be wrong, but i think that GP4000 has ASC compound (if you mean clinchers), while GP4000S has Black CHILL compound. Thats allmost if not only thing that differs 4000 and 4000S.

14. sogood

sogood New Member

All current model GP4000s (note the small s for pleural) have the new Chili compound. On the non-S model (large S for GP4000S), there's a Chili sticker on the box to differentiate the new and the old. GP4000S supposedly use the same Chili compound but with a higher thread count. Out in the market place, there are still a lot of those older GP4000 models. If you are buying, make sure you are able to differentiate them as they should be cheaper than the current GP4000 with Chili.

15. catlike

catlike New Member

I did not know that, actually Contis site doesnot tell that (or i could not find). Anyway I have 4000S. I will give other brand a try for next tyre (suppose Michelin pro race 2 or 3)- to compare.

16. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

Yes, won't be surprised to get half the life out of the CX vs 4000. I've been going 2500+ miles on the rear with the 4000; the CX just seems too thin to last that long. Will be interesting to see if I can detect any difference in RR (speed) or ride.

Believe I read that the Chili compound is supposed to reduce RR by 1/3; if so, the new 4000 should be a lot more competitive as a race tire with CX and Pro Race.

17. sogood

sogood New Member

Not to influence your experiment but that was also the curiosity that drove me to try the CX. I have to say that I could not differentiate it with the old GP4000. However, with the recent GP4000 with Chili, the difference was quite noticeable. Weird sensation.

18. tfstrum

tfstrum New Member

Weird good?

19. sogood

sogood New Member

Weird as referring to something that's quite different to what I am used to. In this case, I was able to confidently hold a tighter line on corners than what I have been used to. But of course, it could all just be placebo. The tyre compound does feel more tacky though.

20. Hitchy

Hitchy New Member

I've ridden GP 4's on & off since they came out...& the esses & the Black chilli compounds. never had an issue with 'em puncture wise...they're neither better or worse than most others....I'm happy with 'em, although not married to the idea of riding them...useful training tyre