Continental 5000 tires

rclouviere

Apr 10, 2011
I’ve bought conti 5000 tires for all of my road bikes and like them. Today, while descending, i had a sidewall blowout! I was lucky i didn’t go down. I didn’t see any reason for it (May have run over something, but didn’t see it).

Also, my son-in-law has the same issue.

Anyone else have thus problem?

Hmmm! Update us if you find any further causes.

I've been using Conti 2000, 3000, 4000, and 5000 over the last 30 years. Never had a side wall blow out other than a few scuff marks on the 3000. But seemed the 4000 was better as far as sidewalls.

BTW, I'm 230-260 and done mountain descents at 25-40 MPH for years with never a problem.

Negative. Been great so far but I always pucker when down hill descents come and I am 30+ mph or higher! Anything can happen my friend.

I’ve bought conti 5000 tires for all of my road bikes and like them. Today, while descending, i had a sidewall blowout! I was lucky i didn’t go down. I didn’t see any reason for it (May have run over something, but didn’t see it).

Also, my son-in-law has the same issue.

Anyone else have thus problem?
I was using the 5000TLR's and I had a couple of punctures that seemed to be larger tears than they should have been. Finally on the last one I realized that I could see through the tread despite only having maybe 800 miles max on them. I'm 190 lbs and usually get long mileage on Michelin Pro4's (1500+) I do lots of high speed descending and am presently using Vitorria Corsa G+ and 2.0 and they hold up pretty well. I have returned to clincher only. Too many problems with tubeless and then it is really yucky to repair out on the road.

I was using the 5000TLR's and I had a couple of punctures that seemed to be larger tears than they should have been. Finally on the last one I realized that I could see through the tread despite only having maybe 800 miles max on them. I'm 190 lbs and usually get long mileage on Michelin Pro4's (1500+) I do lots of high speed descending and am presently using Vitorria Corsa G+ and 2.0 and they hold up pretty well. I have returned to clincher only. Too many problems with tubeless and then it is really yucky to repair out on the road.
I should add though that the traction of the GP5000's are second to NONE! The traction is so good that you have to get used to the GP5000's wandering all over the road from slight and unnoticeable irregularities in the road surface. But MAN can they corner.

I should add though that the traction of the GP5000's are second to NONE! The traction is so good that you have to get used to the GP5000's wandering all over the road from slight and unnoticeable irregularities in the road surface. But MAN can they corner.

HUH???

Dude, I use to race on very expensive silk tubular tires, those had the best traction of any tire probably even today, they didn't wander all over the road, in fact, I can't recall ever having a tire that wandered all over the road, and I've ridden on all types of road surfaces with all sorts of different tires.

I'm not sure he meant wandering as in losing traction. Maybe wandering away from your hands on the bars as the tire grips everything and goes with it.

I had a different experience the first time I put on my 5000 on the front, about a month ago. I made a sharp turn and it felt like the tire gripped something and wanted to pull the bars from my hands. Almost as if cornering on a mtb tire vs a road tire. A bit mushy but really grippy.

This was my experience after installing then 5000 on the front. Call me crazy but I felt it too! I was really careful the next couple of rides.

They track well and grip the road in my experience. I have not felt any rear or front tire breaking loose. My rides consist of pavement obviously that at times is rough with breaks and cracks and all that jazz and as smooth as a babies bottom. Been rather impressed with the 5k tires. I run a 23 but thinking of going to a 25 when these wear.

I've been on other forums and read about others using those tires and no one has reported that sensation the two of you are feeling. If the tire is pulling your handlebars then the tires are unsafe?

No it is not unsafe, just different. As riding one bike with twitchier handling. Like the difference between getting on one bike that has twitchy handling vs a bike that does not. You get used to it and it adapt. It's not unsafe at all, just a little more grippy.

Like I mentioned, the difference between riding a road bike and a mtb down a mountain road in switch backs, it's not dangerous on either one if you know what to expect and how to handle the bike.

Plus it is not that dramatic, I used that to explain the difference I felt in the tire.

Now to be dangerous, are you saying that if I ride a mtb down a mountain road, that is dangerous? You're too funny. I've been riding long enough to know the handling on the 2 bikes are different and I'm not going to crash because one handles differently. Heck, my Madone handles differently from the Lemond Chambery I had, which was different handling from my Cannondale. All 3 handled differently. The Madone has a twitchy feeling much like the 5000 tire. I'm still alive and haven't crashed because of the different feeling between the 3. NO, it is not dangerous, just different as explained.

Think about it, a deep profile rim (30mm) feels different in the wind vs a shallow rim (23 mm). My 30 mm rims catch the wind more than some of the others I have ridden. That feeling of the wind hitting the rim from the side makes the rim feel different. I've been riding 30 mm rims for 23 years. It's the same difference, and never has it been dangerous.

I just rode on a really windy day yesterday. The feeling of the side wind was far more dramatic than the feeling of the 5000. I guess I shouldn't ride in the wind any longer? NOT! If one knows how to adapt and handle a bike, it is not a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Germanrazor
Oh man, that's quite a bummer! I've heard of Conti 5000s being generally reliable, but blowouts can happen. It's possible you hit something that caused the damage unseen. My experience shows that even small debris can sometimes lead to issues. I'd recommend checking the tire and rim for any sharp objects or damage. It might also be worth reaching out to Continental's customer support for advice. Hope this helps and stay safe on those rides!