Continental 5000 tires

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by rclouviere, Aug 15, 2020.

1. rclouviere

rclouviere New Member

I’ve bought conti 5000 tires for all of my road bikes and like them. Today, while descending, i had a sidewall blowout! I was lucky i didn’t go down. I didn’t see any reason for it (May have run over something, but didn’t see it).

Also, my son-in-law has the same issue.

Anyone else have thus problem?

Tags:

2. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

Hmmm! Update us if you find any further causes.

I've been using Conti 2000, 3000, 4000, and 5000 over the last 30 years. Never had a side wall blow out other than a few scuff marks on the 3000. But seemed the 4000 was better as far as sidewalls.

BTW, I'm 230-260 and done mountain descents at 25-40 MPH for years with never a problem.

3. Germanrazor

Germanrazor Active Member

Negative. Been great so far but I always pucker when down hill descents come and I am 30+ mph or higher! Anything can happen my friend.

4. cyclintom

cyclintom Well-Known Member

I was using the 5000TLR's and I had a couple of punctures that seemed to be larger tears than they should have been. Finally on the last one I realized that I could see through the tread despite only having maybe 800 miles max on them. I'm 190 lbs and usually get long mileage on Michelin Pro4's (1500+) I do lots of high speed descending and am presently using Vitorria Corsa G+ and 2.0 and they hold up pretty well. I have returned to clincher only. Too many problems with tubeless and then it is really yucky to repair out on the road.