Continental Competition Vectran Tubular

sculler

Mar 9, 2004
I just fitted the above on my bike and punctured both the front and rear tyre on their first ride.

I guess I was probably just unlucky but was wondering if anybody else has any problems with them and if there is a better tyre for road racing use.

Cheers

I think you may have been under inflated.
The book shows for a 19mm 28" Tubular 145 psi minimum and a 23mm, 115 psi. Both have a max pressure of 170psi.

The object of a tubular is their resistance against pinch flats tyre & the tyre can easily cope with 100psi pressure as you wouldn't be putting much over that riding a wet criterium for example. I think you need to detail where the punctures are occuring in the tyre for more analysis.

gclark8 said:
I think you may have been under inflated.
The book shows for a 19mm 28" Tubular 145 psi minimum and a 23mm, 115 psi. Both have a max pressure of 170psi.

Probably just unlucky unless there is something silly like an unplugged spoke hole...

I have used Challenge Criterium tubs on a bike for a few miles recently and they seem very swish. Too early to tell long term, but they are from the firm that makes the Grifo - surely the best cyclo cross tyres around?