Continental email address - tandem tyre question

big_h

Oct 24, 2001
Hi Guys

Maybe a dumb question. I have been using Continental Ultra 2000 (700x28C) tyres on the for quite a while. Excellent tyre but with one ****ling bad point. The cloth (I think it is cloth or cotton) that holds the wire bead to the tyre starts fraying. This causes starnds of string to wind around your hubs etc. What I do now is to put some rubber glue on the tape when the tyre is new. This seems to work.

My question is now that a large company like Continental must sure have a customer feedback system in place. Has anybody out there got a email address to query this happening. They replaced a set of tyres for me just before the Argus last year. Why should I go through a simple, but irritating procedure with a new product?????

My other question, what tyres do the rest out there use on their tandems???

Keep those wheels spinning

Big H

I only ever used one Continental 2000 and had the same trouble. I refuse to buy tyres that start to show signs of wear so quickly. I've now got a set of Hutchisons that've done a fair bit of travelling and still look and feel like new.

Hi Rodney

Do you ride tandem???, was the defect on 28C tyres???

Hi Steve

You do not say what model Conti's you use. This is specificly on Ultra 2000 28C tyres. I have had the problem sonce the first I purchased...which they changed free of charge almost a year ago.

Big H

Originally posted by big_h
You do not say what model Conti's you use. This is specificly on Ultra 2000 28C tyres. I have had the problem sonce the first I purchased...which they changed free of charge almost a year ago.

I mostly use Conti GP's and sometimes GP 3000 (?)

Originally posted by big_h
Hi Rodney

Do you ride tandem???, was the defect on 28C tyres???
No, I don't ride tandem. The tyre I had was 700 x 23. The threads started peeling off very quickly and the tyre surface showed small cracks after very moderate use. I bought the tyre as a spare during a tour and so I only ever had the one.

I have never had a tyre flat as much as this one.

I've read lots of good stuff about Continental tyres but I would never go near them again.