Continental g4000 blach chilli VS Michelin Pro 3 Race Service Course

nurul

Jan 4, 2004
Has anyone out there road both the Michelin Pro 3 race service course and the Continental gp4000 black chilli to make a comparison. I gave up on michelin pro race and went over to Michelin Krylion and then on to Conti g4000 black chilli, Have never looked back but would be interested to hear from anyone who has used both.

What were your problems with ProRace? What were you trying to improve? I haven't ridden them but I have used the Conti 4000S' and Krylions. Any comparison between those 2 is unfair to Michelin since the Krylions are meant to be built with a focus towards endurance whereas the Conti's are meant to be high-performance rubber.

LewisBricktop said:
What were your problems with ProRace? What were you trying to improve? I haven't ridden them but I have used the Conti 4000S' and Krylions. Any comparison between those 2 is unfair to Michelin since the Krylions are meant to be built with a focus towards endurance whereas the Conti's are meant to be high-performance rubber.

Lewis, the thread is asking for a comparison between Conti gp400o black chilli and michelin pro 3 race service course.

i know. but what improvements are you looking for from the originals. why didn't you like them and why did you switch. that would be helpful for readers and responders in understanding what you think makes a good and bad tire.

LewisBricktop said:
i know. but what improvements are you looking for from the originals. why didn't you like them and why did you switch. that would be helpful for readers and responders in understanding what you think makes a good and bad tire.

Vittoria Rubino or Conti Ultra Race, wire bead. Both work well and differences between these and the ones that are 4 times the price are teeny and invisible to 99%+ of riders out there.

LewisBricktop said:

Tried Pro Race and Pro Race 2. Roll swell. Quite light. But grip was rubbish. On hairpin descents it wasnt cutting it for my speeds. Swtiched to the Krylions as they are more comfy and just offered more grip and rubber and lasted for ages for winter and endurance or bad weather work. 2008 for the season went to the Contis with their side tread and they were just amazing allowing me to bank even lower and throw my bike around. My friend has gone through the same transition. As I have seen the Pro Race 3 SC in white I figured it would look great with the Addict R4 and was wondering weather Michelin had sorted the grip out.

benkoostra said:
Those guys who beat you down the hill?

Use what they use.

Think I will go for a set of attack force. Will save almost 100g against the krylions I have got on the Addict bringing it down to a nice 7,5kk with deep profile wheels on.

nurul said:
Think I will go for a set of attack force. Will save almost 100g against the krylions I have got on the Addict bringing it down to a nice 7,5kk with deep profile wheels on.
The attack/force combo is a nice set. I used them for a couple of years and only changed when the local bike shop didn't have a set available, so I got a set of Pro Race 2's. I didn't really notice a difference between the two tires on the bike except that the Pro Race's seem to puncture more often and I have to pull out small bits of stones/glass/thorns out of the tire after every ride. Maybe it's a softer compound rubber but it doesn't seem to make the bike stick any better in the corners.