Hi. I'm Bill in Houston Texas and I just upgraded from my junk mountainbike from Academy to a "real bike". I got a Diamondback Insight 1 Sport Hybrid and I ride on pavement. The tires it came with are cheesy and I'd say do not provide good flat resistance. I was in Performance Bicycle today and they had 20% off of just about everything so I picked up a pair of Gatorskins in 700 X 32 size. Are these a good choice ofr ruggedness and flat resistance?
Cycling Equipment · Public discussion
Continental Gatorskin Road Tires?
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Cycling Equipment
- Published
- 18 July 2015
- Last activity
- 2 August 2015
- Original author
- RoadRider711
- Posts
- 4
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 1,886
- Views / 30 days
- 0
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
From what I know, they're an "intermediate" tyre, in that they provide some increased flat protection while still feeling ok-ish on the road.
I sometimes use them on the rear of my wet day bike, and pump them up pretty hard so they feel a little better.Just like car tyres, there's a trade-off between performance/feel and durability/ruggedness.
If you really want more bomb-proof tyres, you could get touring options, but they'll feel slower on smooth roads
-
I've been using them for several years and am very pleased with their perfomance. I'm strictly a recreatioal cyclist and the least enjoyable part of my ride is fixing flats. These rarely let me down.
-
I think they're overpriced. There are quite a few tires with just as good protection, if not better, and longer tread life than those tires. I've had just as good of luck with Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick (which has very high reviews), Panaracer Stradius Sport (the least expensive yet just as good as the Conti), Hutchinson Intensive 2 SE (far superior to the Conti and dare I say the best in my list), Michelin Krylion (which I've never tried but heard great things about it); and all those tires can be found on deep discount sale prices that will almost halve the cost of what a Conti will cost even when it's on sale!
Vittoria is now on sale, see: performancebike.comProduct 10052 10551 1162452 1 400235 400235Open ↗ as is the Michelin, see: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1168108_-1_400235__400235 and the Hutchinson, see: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1178199_-1_400235__400235
As you can tell from the above prices of those 3 tires, there is no need to spend $54 for a tire when others are almost half that price and are better tires.
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.