Continental GP 4000 folding tyres

colin nago said:
Are the 4000 tyres better than the 3000?

im still using 3000's and don't know whether to get 4000's or michelin pro race 2.
The 4000s have more of a slick tread than the 3000s. Conti webpage says the new 4000s have rolling resistance reduced by 1/3 over the 3000s, which would put them down in the territory of the Pro Race2. Believe they might be a touch smoother riding than the 3000s as well, but that could just be the power of advertising working.

Both the 4000s and ProRace 2 are great tires, but my impression is that the Michelin is a less durable tire, both in wear life and in puncture/cut resistance. I've only ridden the original Pro Race, not the 2, so maybe Mich have toughen up the new model. Also could be that I've just had bad luck when running the Pro Race, but have had to toss them out due to cut-throughs before getting full tread life.

Suggest you try them both, ride them until they are worn out or damaged, and decide for yourself.

colin nago said:

im still using 3000's and don't know whether to get 4000's or michelin pro race 2.
Do you have a mate called Piero Relli?

colin nago said:

There are a number of improvements in the 4000 over the 3000, most significantly puncture resistance.

I compared the 4000 with the pro race 2 and concluded that they were approximately equal, so its personal choice. pro race 2 is AU$6 cheaper than 4000 at www.probikekit.com

I blew out Michelin's twice and said "enough". Switched to Conti 3000, then 4000, and love 'em. NEVER a problem, one flat.

otherworld said:
I’ve got gp4000s off ebay as well and they are VERY tight on the rim… much tighter than the gp3000s they replaced. Maybe it could be that some of these tyres on ebay are factory seconds and are outside the normal size tolerance. Could be that you got a loose one and that’s why it’s popped off if it’s not your rim. I think it’s most likely though that you pinched the tube. In any case I wouldn’t be putting a tyre that you are suspicious of on the front wheel. Your best tyre should always be on the front.

I’d be interested to know anyway if anyone else has found that 4000s are tighter fitting than other Contis

Cheers Jay.

The GP 4000's are a bit tighter then the 3000's.

You also need to be careful of any tire off ebay, there are a large number of counterfeits for sale. You are much better off purchasing from one of the stores in the UK, you will pay the same amount (less quite often) and you have some recourse if the tire is not quite right.

How do I determine what PSI I should go for front and rear tire? I'm 65kg. I usually pump at 100PSI both tires, they're michelin Pro race, ans it says max of 110PSI

Don't worry, George! I will soon follow others on Conti4000:p Don't like to be left out of the group

mikesbytes said:
There are a number of improvements in the 4000 over the 3000, most significantly puncture resistance.

I compared the 4000 with the pro race 2 and concluded that they were approximately equal, so its personal choice. pro race 2 is AU$6 cheaper than 4000 at www.probikekit.com
I hope the GP4000 are better as I have just replaced my Pro Race 2 tyres. They weren't that worn but had been repeatedly punctured and were quite cut up.

Bargearse said:
I hope the GP4000 are better as I have just replaced my Pro Race 2 tyres. They weren't that worn but had been repeatedly punctured and were quite cut up.
You wont regret it.

You are not imagining things...I had the same thing happen after only about 50 miles. The rear popped off and the front was almost ready to go (we looked at it after the rear exploded).

The tires were professionally installed by a reputable dealer and purchased new from the same dealer.

I mounted them on a different set of rims a couple of days later using great care and within two hours the rear tire was bulging and ready to pop again. I was extremely careful to clean the rims and tire beads with water-based degreaser (no residue) and I put talc on the tube and lightly inflated it before installing in the tire.

FYI, the first rims were Ultegra tubeless/tube type and the second pair were Mavic CXP22.

These tires are dangerous in my opinion. Don't use them. The bead is not thick enough to grip the rim. I'm contacting Continental regarding this.

Just to clarify; the tires were at 115 psi, and this was double-checked with a digital pressure gage as well as the analog gage on the tire pump. All the gages were within 2 psi of one another. It was not an issue of overinflation. And I am light, less than 150 pounds.

A gage huh? Is that like one of those balls with a strap on it that you stuff in someones mouth during bondage?

I say user error. Two possible causes or these tires popping off the rim:

1. The weren't seated properly during installation.
2. The rim tape is to wide and/or thick and don't give enough space for the bead to sit properly. The tire might look seated but they'd never seat if they don't have enough space.

Conti tires are the business - I've used them since the early 90's on Mavic MA2's, MA40's, Open 4 CDs, Ksyrium ES Premium, Campag Lambda and Omega V and Velocity Aerohead OC rims with absolutely no problems whatsoever. If anything they're a ***** to get on and off when compared to comparable tires from Vittoria and Michelin but conversely, even on a completely flat tire you won't see them popping off the rim and jamming in the brake caliper.

Ah, gotta love the web.

"Gage" is a very common spelling and interchangeable with "gauge". It was used for decades by the US Air Force and all branches of the armed services. Here is something from Pratt & Whitney, you may have heard of them...

Pratt & Whitney Measurement Systems is a global supplier of dimensional measuring instruments, inspection gaging systems, and high precision metrology products. Our instruments incorporate the latest in laser and sensor technology allowing for fast and accurate measurements. Industry applications span across a wide range including, but not limited to: aerospace components, automotive parts, medical devices, film/wafer thickness, roller/ball bearings, optical components, gear/spline assemblies.

Calibration applications include: threads (external/internal, NPT, API), gage blocks, plug/pin gages, ring gages, dial/test indicators, length standards, micrometers, calipers, snap gages, setting discs, thread wires, precision parts.

Now follows the useful advice; check the mounting.

Continental is not infallible, nor is any other tire maker. Firestone comes to mind.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

A gage huh? Is that like one of those balls with a strap on it that you stuff in someones mouth during bondage?

I say user error. Two possible causes or these tires popping off the rim:

1. The weren't seated properly during installation.
2. The rim tape is to wide and/or thick and don't give enough space for the bead to sit properly. The tire might look seated but they'd never seat if they don't have enough space.

Conti tires are the business - I've used them since the early 90's on Mavic MA2's, MA40's, Open 4 CDs, Ksyrium ES Premium, Campag Lambda and Omega V and Velocity Aerohead OC rims with absolutely no problems whatsoever. If anything they're a ***** to get on and off when compared to comparable tires from Vittoria and Michelin but conversely, even on a completely flat tire you won't see them popping off the rim and jamming in the brake caliper.

Originally Posted by murrock1990 .

Bought one of these fantastic Jerseys off ebay, really unique and great qualtiy, you should check it out.

I have cycling items on ebay as well, but out of respect to this community I refrain from spamming up a bunch of threads.
Spam posts like these make me even less likely to buy those ebay items.

I found the Conti GP 4000's to be tough to mount and remount with a tube change out on the road with my rim, but I do like the tire.
It was so tough to get on that I bought a rachet like lever tool that is place on the rim and pulls the tire bead on the rim.
I did not have any issues like the OP. When a tire is this tough to get on the rim it is little tougher not to pinch the tube, but with a little more patience I did not pinch any tubes.

I would have gone with the Conti's this year, but I had to go back with the Pro 3's since that was what was on sale at the time I purchased. I could not find the GP 4000 for that price this year.
About a $50 dollar savings. Maybe the next time I will find a better deal.

Performance wise I feel as if the GP 4000 is one of the best that I have used to date. Opinion of course

Originally Posted by doiturself .

Ah, gotta love the web.

"Gage" is a very common spelling and interchangeable with "gauge". It was used for decades by the US Air Force and all branches of the armed services. Here is something from Pratt & Whitney, you may have heard of them...

Continental is not infallible, nor is any other tire maker. Firestone comes to mind.

Says Mr Ace Spelling doiturself. It ain't my fault that y'all butchered the English language whilst stealing the colors of the flag and the music for your national anthem in the process... Gauge.

99% of the time problems like this are not due to manufacturer error or defect.

Conti GP4000S > any other "clincher" road tyre on the planet.

Continental is going to warranty both tires through the dealer who installed and sold them initially. The tires were installed several times by professional techs at two dealerships and we could never get the bead to seat reliably. I will say that Continental has incredibly good customer service and I am now running a set of Ultra Gatorskins in the 23C size, with wire beads, and they are terrific.

We are chalking this up to one or two bad tires but the point is that this can happen and it's mandatory to inspect your tires every ride, no matter how good the company or its tires may be.

This thread was started by someone else who had the same problem; be careful out there./img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

I just wanted to comment on this one thing which was mentioned by someone else as well:

"If anything they're a ***** to get on and off when compared to comparable tires from Vittoria and Michelin but conversely, even on a completely flat tire you won't see them popping off the rim and jamming in the brake caliper."

With the two tires I purchased, both could be easily mounted using nothing more than one's hands. No tools at all were necessary. That would suggest that one or more of the tires was not quite up to spec.

The Ultra Gatorskins could not be mounted without a tire tool nor could the Pro 2 Race Michelins I just had installed. Another thing to keep in mind.