Continental Grand Prix 4000 vs. Conti All-Season

Kocsis

Nov 6, 2005
Just picked up my Seven Ti custom bike. All is great, except LBS put Conti All-Seasons on Mavic OP wheels instead of GP 4000s, as agreed. (700x25). Heard great things about performance/durability of 4000s, nothing about All-Seasons. What's your experience - don't want to fuss if they're comparable, though I'm annoyed.

Kocsis said:
Just picked up my Seven Ti custom bike. All is great, except LBS put Conti All-Seasons on Mavic OP wheels instead of GP 4000s, as agreed. (700x25). Heard great things about performance/durability of 4000s, nothing about All-Seasons. What's your experience - don't want to fuss if they're comparable, though I'm annoyed.
I used GP 4-Seasons all last winter and was very pleased with them. They are slightly heavier (250g vs 215g, I think for the 700x25C). They are basically a cross between the Ultra Gatorskins and GP 3000 tire with a slightly softer compound for better cold-weather performance.

I would say that the GP 4000 is probably a better choice for fair weather competition and the 4-seasons have the edge for winter riding conditions/puncture protection if you're in an area that is so prone.

They have been priced right around the same at most sources I have seen.

Conti's blurb-lines on them and specs can be found at:
http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/tires/race/folder_en.html

Hi

I would recommend the GP4000's , I swapped over from the GP3000
and there is a massive difference in the comfort due to their suppleness, significantly reduced rolling resistance and wear characteristics. I would have to say they are the best I've ever used even better than the vittoria open corse EVO CX. for reference i'm using them on a dura-ace wheel set with vittoria butyl tubs at 120psi

Regards Ken

Kocsis said:

Kocsis said:
Kocsis: It does seem annoying. If they made the switch on purpose, they certainly should have discussed it with your first. But at least tires are easy to change.

Did you ask them why they did this? Perhaps a mistake, or they didn't have 4000s, or maybe the LBS thought the 4-Seasons would be better for the winter. My guess is that the 4-seasons have a rubber compound thats softer and gripper in cold and wet winter conditions, but at the sacrifice of some rolling resistance and wear. You could always leave them on until the warm and fair weather arrives, then fit the 4000s. Switching tires only takes a few minutes of your time.

BTW, I love the 3000s; just bought another set at my LBS (he didn't have the 4000s in yet). No flats in 12,000 miles, great ride, and 3000 mile wear on the rear. The 3000s are 5 plies, with 430 tpi casing. Conti's are expensive, but worth it to me.

Kocsis said:
Ride the GP4 seasons (700x25) in the winter and GP3Ks (700x23) in the summer. I will probably switch to GP4K this next summer to try them out. Both extremely good quality. The GP4 seasons is a more expensive tire at Excelsports. They both use the ASC blend in the tire tread and I think they are comparable on the TPI of the tire. In my opinion the sidewall is a little tougher than the GP3 or 4K tires so I use them in the winter. There is a good chance that the LBS didn't have a supply yet so they put the best available. If you complain they might give you a discount on some 4Ks if you agree to keep the GP4S tires since you used them...play the disgruntled customer and they should deep discount the other tires. You will probably wear out the 4 seasons by the time the summer comes if you put on any kind of miles.

I'ver been riding the 4 seasons. had a flat the second day out but no problems since.

Deanster: how many miles until you wear them out?

Deanster04 said:
Ride the GP4 seasons (700x25) in the winter and GP3Ks (700x23) in the summer. I will probably switch to GP4K this next summer to try them out. Both extremely good quality. The GP4 seasons is a more expensive tire at Excelsports. They both use the ASC blend in the tire tread and I think they are comparable on the TPI of the tire. In my opinion the sidewall is a little tougher than the GP3 or 4K tires so I use them in the winter. There is a good chance that the LBS didn't have a supply yet so they put the best available. If you complain they might give you a discount on some 4Ks if you agree to keep the GP4S tires since you used them...play the disgruntled customer and they should deep discount the other tires. You will probably wear out the 4 seasons by the time the summer comes if you put on any kind of miles.

li rider said:
I'ver been riding the 4 seasons. had a flat the second day out but no problems since.

Deanster: how many miles until you wear them out?
I am a fairly heavy rider (220#s) If I start out with a new set of either GP3K or GP4S I will only get about 500 miles on the rear tire until I get a large flat area across the tire about 1cm, however the rear tire has a flat spot of only about 3 mm. I switch the front tire to the rear and buy a front tire. I then get another 200 or 300miles with the rear. So that is about 500 miles on one tire and 800 on the other. If the front tire is good I will continue to swap the front to the rear so I think I average 600 to 800 miles per tire. I haven't had but 2 flats in the last year of 3200 miles. This last year I bought 6 tires total including the ones I currently have on my bike.
That milage is down from the GP Ultragator Skin. Using the same strategy I would get about 1000 to 1200 miles per tire. The rubber is harder (not ACS) and more durable with the Kevelar ply on the tread. I have never flatted a GPUGS. The big difference in the tires is the ride seems more lively with the lighter tires. Another difference was the wire bead in the Gator. GP now has a foldable GPUGS. I may try that for my next winter tire.

The reason I swap out and disgard the rear tire with the 1cm flat spot is that it effects the feeling of control on fast descents in the mountains on the twisty roads in a negative way.

Kocsis said:
I really like the all seasons although I've never used the new GP4000s.
The weight is really close between a GP3000 and 4Season in 23mm, maybe 10-15 grams, that's it.
They feel good on the road also, very similar to a GP3000.

kleng said:
Hi

and there is a massive difference in the comfort due to their suppleness, significantly reduced rolling resistance and wear characteristics. I would have to say they are the best I've ever used even better than the vittoria open corse EVO CX. for reference i'm using them on a dura-ace wheel set with vittoria butyl tubs at 120psi

Regards Ken

I second this 100% - have just put a pair on having not been a fan of conti at all (particularly GP3000) and I love them - supple and handle well.

Kocsis said:
I wasn't sure about the GP4K tires so I went to my LBS and asked an expreienced mechanic. He gave me a disertation on the differences, more than I really wanted to know. The up shot of the discussion is that there is a very large difference. GP has eliminated the center tread pattern for better rolling resistance. The second difference is the wt 220(3K) vs 205g(4K). This wt difference is due to a weave called Vectran. It is lighter than Kevelar and more puncture resistant. It is an adder to some of the carbon fiber frames such as Look to give added strength. GP has applied for the patent and the other tire companies who want to use it will have to pay royalties to GP. It has the same ACS rubber compound as the 3K and 4S tires for the tread or rolling surface. The ride is supposed to be better on the more supple tire. Get the 4K tires that you were promised. If you have been riding the 4S tires they may give them to you for cost.

Hi, How many mile have you ridden on these? How is the rear tire holding up?

kleng said:
Hi

Regards Ken

Hi Oscar

I've only done about 1600km on the GP 4000's, there is a bit wear on the rear, but no cuts on either. but I think you need follow the recommended 120 PSI to get the best performance and life out of them. The tires come with a tread indicator, which is a small hole which disappears as it wears down, I can still see this clearly. Having the vectran layer might allow you to use these past the replacement point of other similiar high performance tires. High performance oftens means a trade off in durability, but I haven't seen this with this tire as yet.

Also remember I'm not a heavy rider, about 72kg, so maybe the wear rates will be different.

Regards
Ken

OscarC said:
Hi, How many mile have you ridden on these? How is the rear tire holding up?

Thanks Ken that helps alot. Sound like they might last me a descent amout if you already have about 1000miles/1600km. I weight 64kg/142lbs. but I ride really hard and do alot of serious climbing. I really am leaning towards getting a set of these at this point. thanks again.
Oscar.

kleng said:
Hi Oscar

I've only done about 1600km on the GP 4000's, there is a bit wear on the rear, but no cuts on either. but I think you need follow the recommended 120 PSI to get the best performance and life out of them. The tires come with a tread indicator, which is a small hole which disappears as it wears down, I can still see this clearly. Having the vectran layer might allow you to use these past the replacement point of other similiar high performance tires. High performance oftens means a trade off in durability, but I haven't seen this with this tire as yet.

Also remember I'm not a heavy rider, about 72kg, so maybe the wear rates will be different.

Regards
Ken

Hey Oscar

You won't regret getting on the GP 4000's, so far they have been bullet proof. The ride between the GP 3000's is like chalk and cheese. There is a noticable reduction in rolling resistance, enjoy the ride.

Regards
Ken

OscarC said:
Thanks Ken that helps alot. Sound like they might last me a descent amout if you already have about 1000miles/1600km. I weight 64kg/142lbs. but I ride really hard and do alot of serious climbing. I really am leaning towards getting a set of these at this point. thanks again.
Oscar.

kleng said:
Hey Oscar

You won't regret getting on the GP 4000's, so far they have been bullet proof. The ride between the GP 3000's is like chalk and cheese. There is a noticable reduction in rolling resistance, enjoy the ride.

Regards
Ken
Ken, I'm looking forward to trying the 4000s next time based on your findings. Can't believe the ride is much better than the 3000s, which to me is already great.

Note, I don't run the max rated pressure. The 3000s carry a max rating of 120 psi, and a recommended rating of 110 on the package. At 180 lbs (82 kg), have found 100 F/105R works best. At your weight, believe you'll find lower rolling resistance, better ride, and better grip, plus fewer cuts and punctures at pressures of around 100 psi.

I have a race tomorrow.
I'll go with 100f, 105r, on the Felt, and let you know how it goes.

dhk said:
Ken, I'm looking forward to trying the 4000s next time based on your findings. Can't believe the ride is much better than the 3000s, which to me is already great.

Note, I don't run the max rated pressure. The 3000s carry a max rating of 120 psi, and a recommended rating of 110 on the package. At 180 lbs (82 kg), have found 100 F/105R works best. At your weight, believe you'll find lower rolling resistance, better ride, and better grip, plus fewer cuts and punctures at pressures of around 100 psi.

I use GP4000s and I'm around the 80 kg mark as well and I noticed a big difference in comfort when I dropped the rear pressure to 110 rear and 100 front

Hey Ken,

I went for it and got my set of Conti 4000's. I noticed when they first came out the cost was around $62. I picked them up last week and I paid $49 so I'm pretty happy about that. Do you have any idea what the TPI is on these? I have not been able to find that. I probably will put these on within the next two weeks. I'm going to finish off with a couple more rides on my Bontrager Race X Lites, which I think are also made my Continental. I report back after about 5-700 hundred miles with what I think of them. Can't wait!

kleng said:
Hey Oscar

Regards
Ken

Hey Oscar

I don't know the TPI on the GP 4000's,
I had my first experience that the vectran layer works. Ran over some glass the other day and a shard pierced the rear tire, I could hear it grating as I rolled along, but being dark I could'nt see it.
Anyway when I got home 20k later I just pulled it out of the tread and everything was fine, all through the ride I was expecting it to eventually
pierce the tube but it didn't get through at all, even with the load on the tire.

So I'm even more impressed with the tire,

Regards
Ken
OscarC said:
Hey Ken,****

I went for it and got my set of Conti 4000's. I noticed when they first came out the cost was around $62. I picked them up last week and I paid $49 so I'm pretty happy about that. Do you have any idea what the TPI is on these? I have not been able to find that. I probably will put these on within the next two weeks. I'm going to finish off with a couple more rides on my Bontrager Race X Lites, which I think are also made my Continental. I report back after about 5-700 hundred miles with what I think of them. Can't wait!