Continental Grand Prix tires

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Pete, Apr 22, 2003.

  1. Pete

    Pete Guest

    How durable are the Continental Grand Prix tires? I ride on back country roads that are anything but
    smooth. The roads are black top but not smooth. Can the tires hold up to such roads on a daily
    basis. I have heard that the sidewalls are weak and the tire in general is prone to flats.

    I am looking for a fast durable tire for a TE.

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    Be careful about what you hear about tires. I have had Primo Comets which "they" say are flat prone on my Canto in which I have run over all sorts of glass and such. Of course for me, the $45 price of a Grand Prix gives me a flat.

    Derek

  3. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > How durable are the Continental Grand Prix tires? I ride on back country roads that are anything
    > but smooth. The roads are black top but not smooth. Can the tires hold up to such roads on a daily
    > basis. I have heard that the sidewalls are weak and the tire in general is prone to flats.
    >
    > I am looking for a fast durable tire for a TE.

    The sidewall is the weakest component. I've not experienced an inordinent number of flats but I have
    retired one tire for sidewall cuts.

    Currently I am running Schwalbe Stelvios and they seem to exhibit the same strengths and weaknesses.

    If you are looking for fast AND durable, you may have a tough time fnding an optimum tire.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. Philbert

    Philbert Guest

    I'm using them on my VR-42 and after about 500 miles they've been fine. If you treat them like the
    road tire they are (avoid obvious hazards, keep them inflated properly etc.), they'll be fine. I
    like the ride they give, too... "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > How durable are the Continental Grand Prix tires? I ride on back country roads that are anything
    > but smooth. The roads are black top but not smooth. Can the tires hold up to such roads on a daily
    > basis. I have heard that the sidewalls are weak and the tire in general is prone to flats.
    >
    > I am looking for a fast durable tire for a TE.
    >
    > Thanks

  5. Dj Blag

    Dj Blag Guest

    I love Conti's in general. I used to run the Ultra Sport on my upright, and had Grand Prix on my
    Linear LWB for the last year I owned it. They are high pressure, strong, last long, ride and handle
    great. Rolf thought they might be a little thin for my Phantom when I bought it, so I have Primo
    Comet/Racer. I like them, but will probably go to the Conti's when it's time anyway. Chas

  6. Don

    Don Guest

    FWIW, I ride a Conti 26 X 1.0 wire bead on the rear of my Zak. It has >4600 miles and still has lots
    more to go by the looks of it. Remember, a 559 goes around more times/mile than a 700. One flat so
    far. That was from a burr around the spoke hole that pushed through the rim strip and bit the tube.
    I do not ride the road with it very much. Mostly on the 35 mile lovely paved bike trail along the
    river. If it ever wears out, I am putting the same thing back on. Hope that helps. Don

  7. Mike S

    Mike S Guest

    [email protected] (Pete) wrote in message news:<10d5755f[email protected]>...
    > How durable are the Continental Grand Prix tires? I ride on back country roads that are anything
    > but smooth. The roads are black top but not smooth. Can the tires hold up to such roads on a daily
    > basis. I have heard that the sidewalls are weak and the tire in general is prone to flats.
    >
    > I am looking for a fast durable tire for a TE.
    >
    > Thanks

    I rode Conti Grand Prixs on my V-Rex and found them to be a durable, tough tire. For a virtually
    bulletproof nice performing road tire it fills the bill. However, with your road conditions I'm not
    sure a narrow tire is a good option. I find that any narrow tire works best on a smooth road
    surface. With the surface you describe I think a wider tire would be better. We rode Vredestein
    S-Licks on our tandem on all surfaces and found them to be a nice all around tire, not as fast as
    the Contis but durable and nice performing. We have Comp Pools on the tandem (I think they only come
    in 406 size) now and they are faster than the S-Licks but don't handle as well. Good luck.

    Mike S.

  8. Shwackman

    Shwackman Guest

    >I am looking for a fast durable tire for a TE.

    Hi Pete, Sounds like the Avocet cross K (700x32) would be a great tire for your needs. I put about
    7,000 miles on 2 without a flat, and my friend Ed runs the same one "forever" on the back of his
    T.E. and I don't think he's had a flat either. This year I've been running the Conti gator skin on
    the back of the Ti-Rush, and it's a much harsher ride, would drive you nuts (comparitively) on a
    gravel country road...good luck,Mark C.

  9. They held up OK for me commuting in central London, though the sidewalls can be a bit iffy. Note
    that the only small GP available is a 28-406, though, so if your TE has a 451 front wheel, you might
    wish to consider a Schwalbe Stelvio instead.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  10. Pete

    Pete Guest

    > They held up OK for me commuting in central London, though the sidewalls can be a bit iffy. Note
    > that the only small GP available is a 28-406, though, so if your TE has a 451 front wheel, you
    > might wish to consider a Schwalbe Stelvio instead.
    >
    > Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
    > http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

    I posted my reply in the wrong thread.

    Thanks for all of the information that everyone is sending about the Continental tires. The
    Grand Prix is suppose to be a fast tire and that is what I am looking for. I have a Primo Comet
    on the front
    (406)and a Michelin(28)on the rear. When it comes time to change I want something a little bit
    faster without sacrificing durability.

  11. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Hey Pete,

    You may have seen from some of my previous posts that I think the Contis are the greatest tires in the world. The others are probably getting pretty tired of hearing me expound their virtues!

    I did a direct switch from Primo Comets to the GP, and added about 1 1/2 MPH to my average cruising speed. The GP is very fast, handles extremely well, and I've never flatted one. Professional racers have held them in high esteem for a long time.

    The sidewalls do get a little frayed, but I've never had one give me any trouble.

    Give them a try. See if the footprint is large enough to handle your rockin' roads.
    R2

  12. Don

    Don Guest

    Dave, was that the wire bead or the folding version?

    > They held up OK for me commuting in central London, though the sidewalls can be a bit iffy.

  13. > Thanks for all of the information that everyone is sending about the Continental tires. The
    > Grand Prix is suppose to be a fast tire and that is what I am looking for. I have a Primo Comet
    > on the front
    > (406)and a Michelin(28)on the rear. When it comes time to change I want something a little bit
    > faster without sacrificing durability.

    My experience with Continental Grand Prix tires was that thorns punctured them as if they were made
    of butter.

    Frank Calloway

  14. Asked Don:

    > Dave, was that the wire bead or the folding version

    The wire bead - 406 front and 559 rear.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  15. Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Currently I am running Schwalbe Stelvios and they seem to exhibit the same strengths and
    : weaknesses.

    : If you are looking for fast AND durable, you may have a tough time fnding an optimum tire.

    How about those 100 PSI grooved semi-slicks? Like Vredestein S-Licks, Schwalbe City Marathons and
    Marathon Slicks, etc. Would the material/construction give any durability advantage? At least they'd
    be a bit wider... Or is the only reason for their existence that they make the common folks believe
    they have better hold in wet conditions?

  16. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : Currently I am running Schwalbe Stelvios and they seem to exhibit the same strengths and
    > : weaknesses.
    >
    > : If you are looking for fast AND durable, you may have a tough time fnding an optimum tire.
    >
    > How about those 100 PSI grooved semi-slicks? Like Vredestein S-Licks, Schwalbe City Marathons and
    > Marathon Slicks, etc. Would the material/construction give any durability advantage? At least
    > they'd be a bit wider... Or is the only reason for their existence that they make the common folks
    > believe they have better hold in wet conditions?

    I prefer Vredesteins SLicks on my commuter. I do find them durable (and fast) They might just be the
    optimal tire. I'm not convinced however that they are as fast as the 25mm tires.
    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  17. I, on the other hand, didn't find much in the way of difference between S-Licks and GP's when it
    came to fending off visits from the P*nct*r* Fairy, but *did* find S-Licks to be a bit slower. I've
    not got Stelvios, which are holding up well, though natch on the first wet day for six weeks the
    P*nct*r* Fairy pushed a big lump of glass through the front one, chiz.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  18. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > I've not got Stelvios, which are holding up well, though natch on the first wet day for six weeks
    > the P*nct*r* Fairy pushed a big lump of glass through the front one, chiz.

    Your P*nct*r* Fairy is kinder than mine. My P*nct*r* Fairy always goes for the rear tire.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -