Continental Sport Contact tyre sidewall failure.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Call me Bob, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. Call me Bob

    Call me Bob Guest

    I have a pair of 26" Conti Sport Contacts on my commuter. Over the
    last week or so I've noticed an increasingly bad wobble on the rear
    wheel and have just taken it off to put it on the trueing stand. I've
    found however that the wobble is the result of the tyre giving up the
    ghost. How on earth I didn't notice this I have no idea, but the
    sidewall has, on one side only, split at several points around it's
    circumference and is consequently misshaped and bulging. That's the
    wiggle I could feel.

    Looking at it I immediately thought it must have been caused by the
    brake block on that side having been catching the tyre, but on second
    glance that's not it. The bike never gets washed and so there's a
    healthy coating of crap on the wheels which clearly show the path of
    the brake block on the rim, and it's well below the top edge, nowhere
    near the tyre. The damage isn't constant all the way around the tyre
    either, as it would have to be if it was caused by the brake, the tyre
    has simply split where the sidewall seems to have been joined to the
    bead section. Very disappointing given it's current low mileage. Bah.

    Just thought the group might like to know.

    I not too long ago had a sidewall problem with some 20" Sport Contacts
    and Continental dealt with that admirably. I'll take some piccies and
    email them to CycleXpress who supplied the tyres, hopefully they'll
    exchange this one.

    I've always heard about sidewall problems and Continental seemingly
    being bedfellows, but never experienced any bother myself, until now.
    Think I'll have to withdraw my previous recommendation for these tyres
    now.

    Oh, and "Happy New Year!" everyone :)

    "Bob"

  2. > I not too long ago had a sidewall problem with some 20" Sport Contacts
    > and Continental dealt with that admirably. I'll take some piccies and
    > email them to CycleXpress who supplied the tyres, hopefully they'll
    > exchange this one.
    >
    > I've always heard about sidewall problems and Continental seemingly
    > being bedfellows, but never experienced any bother myself, until now.
    > Think I'll have to withdraw my previous recommendation for these tyres
    > now.

    Consider emailing (or better yet, writing to) Continental themselves and
    enclosing photos. They'd more than likely be very happy to have a looksie
    at the tyre and hopefully send a grovelling apology along with some free
    stuff.

  3. Rod King

    Rod King Guest

    Bob

    I have a pair of these on the front of my trike. They seem very good.
    However they also have a 1 year puncture gurantee. I would check out the
    conti web site or ake them back to your cyclse shop for a replacement.

    Regards

    Rod King

    news:[email protected]