Continental Ultra Gator Duraskin Tyre

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by A.J.T.73, Dec 1, 2007.

1. A.J.T.73

A.J.T.73 New Member

I have been looking to get some better tyres and i am riding on bad roads, so would like good puncture resistace but still want good performance. So i was wondering what the Continental Ultra Gator Duraskin Tyres are like? I have looked about and cant find much about them, so if there is already a post, sorry.
    Thanks

Tags:

2. Retro Grouch

Retro Grouch New Member

I've got them on my tandem and one other road bike in the 28 mm size. I like them a lot but I don't ride real hard or fast. I don't use a ton of air pressure with them 100/110 psi on the tandem and 90 psi on the single bike. No flats at all to date.

Some folks have commented about sidewall fraying or cuts, a common complaint with all Continental tires, but I haven't experienced that on my bikes.

3. daveornee

daveornee New Member

You should also look at the Sepcialized All Condition Armadillo tire line & the Schwalbe Marathon tire line.
    I have used the Continentals, but have had sidewall issues with them.

4. buckybux

buckybux New Member

I run Conti 4000's in the summer, but during the winter I use Gatorskins. I used them Dec-Mar, and only ride about 1500 miles during that time. I use the tires for two seasons, then replace them (they are not worn but the cuts are so bad I worry about flats). I also run the pressure at about 100 lbs (the 4000's I use 120 lbs) which helps to prevent flats.

The armadillos are heavy, but there are a lot of comments on this forum that the tires are indestructable.

5. daveornee

daveornee New Member

All Condition Armadillo Elite Tire 23 mm are 280 g and the 25 mm are 305 g. All Condition Armadillo Tire (without the Elite) are a little heavier but less expensive and still reasonable weight.

Take a look:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqSection.jsp?sid=EquipTires700_Flat

I have no relationship to any tire manufacturer or anything for or against any particular brand. I have ridden over 250,000 miles on so many different brands and models that I haven't kept track. It seems that Continental tires have been on my bicycles more miles than any other, but not without issues of sidewall, belt, and cuts. I now look at tires from a view of miles/$ + trouble-minimization. I recently have had good luck with finding store brand (Performance) tires that are relatively low cost and wear well.

6. buckybux

buckybux New Member

The folding gatorskin is 230g for the 23mm which is the one I use. I buy it from Bike Tires Direct and they cost about $33 each. http://biketiresdirect.com/productdetail.asp?p=COC3P&buttonAction=ci_COC3P

I don't work in the cycling industry, and consider myself an intense recreational cyclist.

7. cheezyrider

cheezyrider New Member

I had them as OEM on my Cannondale RW700 purchased in 2002, and flatted during my first major ride :mad: , over a short section of relatively benign gravel. Went to the Specialized Armadillos after that, they seem indestructable (though heavy). Oddly, I've have a pair of $10 Nasbar Prima tires on it for the last couple years that don't have any special durability features, and they've never flatted even over gravel :confused: .

8. bicyclerubber

bicyclerubber New Member

I find the gator skins (23mm) to be an improvement versus the 4 Seasons (23mm)

But, when the roads get really bad, I have had good experiences with the Vittoria Open Pave CG - the black and green one. Its 24mm section and suits me down to the ground in winter