Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Continentals

Started by Vincent Wilcox · · Last activity · 66 posts · 3,922 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
29 April 2004
Last activity
8 May 2004
Original author
Vincent Wilcox
Posts
66
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,922
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 66
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    How does Continental have such a following? I don't get it. What's
    the appeal? There are other well known brands on the market, none
    of which are regularly mentioned as being hard to mount and
    suffering side wall ruptures. Most of these tires also cost less.

    Well, availability is an issue at least here in Minnesota. Avocet
    slicks are available in zero bike shops around here AFAIK- the only
    place that stocked (Osell's) them went out of business when the owner
    retired. The invert-tread car tire for bikes that Avocet makes is
    often available in ones or twos, but that tire is like riding uphill
    all day long.

    Continentals are available everywhere. IME the Ultra 2000 700 x 28
    works very well and lasts as long as an Avocet of the same size. They
    seem to mount just fine on an MA2. And I can get 'em easily, although
    they *are* $30 which seems excessive. The usual alternatives are
    Michelin's multicolored "silly-ca" rubber tires.

    Until Avocet becomes much more dealer-friendly, their market share
    will continue to be restricted. Not just their tires, but their
    computers as well. I haven't seen an Avocet computer for sale in a
    bike shop in years. I'm a little amazed that the Avocet brass hasn't
    figured this out for themselves.

  2. Quoted message said:

    How does Continental have such a following? I don't get it. What's
    the appeal? There are other well known brands on the market, none
    of which are regularly mentioned as being hard to mount and
    suffering side wall ruptures. Most of these tires also cost less.

    Well, availability is an issue at least here in Minnesota. Avocet
    slicks are available in zero bike shops around here AFAIK- the only
    place that stocked (Osell's) them went out of business when the owner
    retired. The invert-tread car tire for bikes that Avocet makes is
    often available in ones or twos, but that tire is like riding uphill
    all day long.

    Continentals are available everywhere. IME the Ultra 2000 700 x 28
    works very well and lasts as long as an Avocet of the same size. They
    seem to mount just fine on an MA2. And I can get 'em easily, although
    they *are* $30 which seems excessive. The usual alternatives are
    Michelin's multicolored "silly-ca" rubber tires.

    Until Avocet becomes much more dealer-friendly, their market share
    will continue to be restricted. Not just their tires, but their
    computers as well. I haven't seen an Avocet computer for sale in a
    bike shop in years. I'm a little amazed that the Avocet brass hasn't
    figured this out for themselves.

  3. In article <[email hidden]>, dvt <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    How does Continental have such a following? I don't get it. What's
    the appeal? There are other well known brands on the market, none of
    which are regularly mentioned as being hard to mount and suffering
    side wall ruptures. Most of these tires also cost less.

    Despite the frequent rumblings on this newsgroup, I can't find many
    low-cost, decent quality tyres at my LBS. Once upon a time I bought
    Avocets from Sheldon since my LBS was unwilling to do business with
    Avocet. Since the advent of "Carbon-12" and the higher prices at Avocet,
    I haven't found a suitable replacement. Any suggestions?

    I rode the Avocet Duro (28-622) for general purpose and commuting, and I
    used the Avocet Criterium (23-622) on my race bike. Note that my
    dimensions are smaller than the advertised dimensions since Avocet
    seemed to exaggerate the tyre size back in the old days.

    Why buy expensive Avocets when you can get basically the same tire sold
    as the IRC Triathlon, available at Bike Nashbar and others for about
    $13? I put 2000 miles on an IRC Triathlon 700x25 duro on the rear, which
    is incredible mileage for me, and there is still rubber left.

    --
    Mike DeMicco <[email hidden]>
    (Remove the REMOVE_THIS from my email address to reply.)

  4. Mike DeMicco said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, dvt <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    How does Continental have such a following? I don't get it. What's
    the appeal? There are other well known brands on the market, none of
    which are regularly mentioned as being hard to mount and suffering
    side wall ruptures. Most of these tires also cost less.

    Despite the frequent rumblings on this newsgroup, I can't find many
    low-cost, decent quality tyres at my LBS. Once upon a time I bought
    Avocets from Sheldon since my LBS was unwilling to do business with
    Avocet. Since the advent of "Carbon-12" and the higher prices at Avocet,
    I haven't found a suitable replacement. Any suggestions?

    I rode the Avocet Duro (28-622) for general purpose and commuting, and I
    used the Avocet Criterium (23-622) on my race bike. Note that my
    dimensions are smaller than the advertised dimensions since Avocet
    seemed to exaggerate the tyre size back in the old days.

    Why buy expensive Avocets when you can get basically the same tire sold
    as the IRC Triathlon, available at Bike Nashbar and others for about
    $13? I put 2000 miles on an IRC Triathlon 700x25 duro on the rear, which
    is incredible mileage for me, and there is still rubber left.

    Doesn't tire mileage depend mostly on the type of braking you do? If
    you do most of your rides in the country you can anticipate and coast
    to a stop. In the city where there is a lot of traffic you are lucky
    if you don't flat spot your tires the first week.

  5. dvt said:
    Quoted message said:

    How does Continental have such a following? I don't get it. What's
    the appeal? There are other well known brands on the market, none of
    which are regularly mentioned as being hard to mount and suffering
    side wall ruptures. Most of these tires also cost less.

    Despite the frequent rumblings on this newsgroup, I can't find many
    low-cost, decent quality tyres at my LBS. Once upon a time I bought
    Avocets from Sheldon since my LBS was unwilling to do business with
    Avocet. Since the advent of "Carbon-12" and the higher prices at Avocet,
    I haven't found a suitable replacement. Any suggestions?

    Avocet don't supply directly to anyone in the UK and I ai'nt
    a dealer mate... At least that is wot they informed me
    when wot I contacted them in proper England and all that!
    Any UK dealers out thar willing to bite the bullet or at
    least get some IRC's in?

    Gwan, gwan, gwan!

  6. dvt said:
    Quoted message said:

    How does Continental have such a following? I don't get it. What's
    the appeal? There are other well known brands on the market, none of
    which are regularly mentioned as being hard to mount and suffering
    side wall ruptures. Most of these tires also cost less.

    Despite the frequent rumblings on this newsgroup, I can't find many
    low-cost, decent quality tyres at my LBS. Once upon a time I bought
    Avocets from Sheldon since my LBS was unwilling to do business with
    Avocet. Since the advent of "Carbon-12" and the higher prices at Avocet,
    I haven't found a suitable replacement. Any suggestions?

    Look again. The price hikes seem to have been rolled back at the few
    shops/internet sites that carry them.

    Quoted message said:


    I rode the Avocet Duro (28-622) for general purpose and commuting, and I
    used the Avocet Criterium (23-622) on my race bike. Note that my
    dimensions are smaller than the advertised dimensions since Avocet
    seemed to exaggerate the tyre size back in the old days.

    That has been rectified, and the tire width is close to the nominal size.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | And what if you track down these men and kill them, what if you
    _`\(,_ | killed all of us? From every corner of Europe, hundreds,
    (_)/ (_) | thousands would rise up to take our places. Even Nazis can't
    kill that fast. -- Paul Henreid (Casablanca).

  7. dsr said:

    Doesn't tire mileage depend mostly on the type of braking you do?

    No. Front tires rarely wear significantly on road bikes, and it is the
    front wheel that does the vast majority of the stopping.

    If

    Quoted message said:

    you do most of your rides in the country you can anticipate and coast to
    a stop. In the city where there is a lot of traffic you are lucky if
    you don't flat spot your tires the first week.

    Well, that's not what I'd consider as an indication of wear, but of damage.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | ...nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or
    _`\(,_ | property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person
    (_)/ (_) | within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. --
    Fourteenth Amendment to the U. S. Constitution.

  8. Quoted message said:
    Mike DeMicco said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, dvt
    <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] wrote:
    > How does Continental have such a following? I don't get it.
    > What's the appeal? There are other well known brands on the
    > market, none of which are regularly mentioned as being hard to
    > mount and suffering side wall ruptures. Most of these tires
    > also cost less.

    Despite the frequent rumblings on this newsgroup, I can't find
    many low-cost, decent quality tyres at my LBS. Once upon a time I
    bought Avocets from Sheldon since my LBS was unwilling to do
    business with Avocet. Since the advent of "Carbon-12" and the
    higher prices at Avocet, I haven't found a suitable
    replacement. Any suggestions?

    Carbon-12 is marketspeak for the same rubber they've been using, at
    least according to prior discussions. Since most bike stuff is about
    fashion and hype, and not about actual performance, I suppose Avocet
    felt they had to come up with something to put on the side of the
    tires that sounded impressive. I would have preferred something like
    "Avocet Carbon SORT" (for "Same Old Rubber Technology"😉. Or "JRTDT"
    for "Just Ride The Dang Things."

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Why buy expensive Avocets when you can get basically the same tire
    sold as the IRC Triathlon, available at Bike Nashbar and others for
    about $13? I put 2000 miles on an IRC Triathlon 700x25 duro on the
    rear, which is incredible mileage for me, and there is still rubber
    left.

    IIRC the Avocet tire uses a specific compound that IRC does not use in
    the manufacture of other tires besides the Avocets. I don't know if
    that's still true. Also, the Avocets have no siping or other
    decorative faux tread features- AFAIK only some Michelin tires and the
    Specialized FatBoy are "slicks" like the Avocets.

    Quoted message said:

    Doesn't tire mileage depend mostly on the type of braking you do?
    If you do most of your rides in the country you can anticipate and
    coast to a stop. In the city where there is a lot of traffic you
    are lucky if you don't flat spot your tires the first week.

    Riders who do long climbs find the rear tire wears out much quicker
    than riders in flatter areas.

  9. Tim McNamara said:

    Carbon-12 is marketspeak for the same rubber they've been using, at
    least according to prior discussions.

    tim, you are so polite.

    personally, i think it's about high time they started using Carbon-60 (aka
    buckminsterfullerene) or perhaps Carbon-14 which has a half-life of 5,730
    years.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email hidden]

  10. Quoted message said:
    dvt said:

    Since the advent of "Carbon-12" and the higher prices at Avocet,
    I haven't found a suitable replacement. Any suggestions?

    David L. Johnson said:

    Look again. The price hikes seem to have been rolled back at the few
    shops/internet sites that carry them.

    I just looked via google and qbike.com. the lowest price I found was $40
    per tire with a free tube included. That was at:
    http://www.worldclasscycles.com/clincher-tires2.htm

    The price for the new Avocets doesn't seem to be dropping. Maybe I'm
    looking in the wrong places.

    I'd be interested in the old-style Avocets, but when I tried to place an
    order with Harris Cyclery last year, it was apparently lost in the mail.
    I couldn't seem to get through to anyone via email so I ended up getting
    some tires at the LBS. I paid too much, got no improvement over the old
    standard tires, and they're now worn out.

    --
    Dave
    dvt at psu dot edu

  11. Wort said:
    Quoted message said:

    I think Continental are getting a bit unreliable in this respect. The last
    GP300 I had - 23mm, kevlar bead - I could not fit even with tyre levers.
    I've never had any difficulty with any tyre fitting before.


    The Conti fit may well depend on the wheel rim that you are mounting
    it on.

    Indeed, but I've mounted earlier GP3000s on the same rim - an MA3. They're
    tight, but not unfeasible. This one, conversely, is as I say the only tyre
    I've ever been unable to fit.
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> Distortion Field!

  12. Matt O'Toole said:

    This seems to be a common complaint. Sidewall cuts and fabric coming apart
    seems to be a problem with Contis too. So why do people keep buying them?

    I haven't had those problems, and they're the only quasi-slick tyres my
    LBS carries.

    Yes, yes, forward planning, I know...
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> Distortion Field!

  13. Tim McNamara <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    How does Continental have such a following? I don't get it. What's
    the appeal? There are other well known brands on the market, none
    of which are regularly mentioned as being hard to mount and
    suffering side wall ruptures. Most of these tires also cost less.

    Well, availability is an issue at least here in Minnesota. Avocet
    slicks are available in zero bike shops around here AFAIK- the only
    place that stocked (Osell's) them went out of business when the owner
    retired. The invert-tread car tire for bikes that Avocet makes is
    often available in ones or twos, but that tire is like riding uphill
    all day long.

    Continentals are available everywhere. IME the Ultra 2000 700 x 28
    works very well and lasts as long as an Avocet of the same size. They
    seem to mount just fine on an MA2. And I can get 'em easily, although
    they *are* $30 which seems excessive. The usual alternatives are
    Michelin's multicolored "silly-ca" rubber tires.

    Until Avocet becomes much more dealer-friendly, their market share
    will continue to be restricted. Not just their tires, but their
    computers as well. I haven't seen an Avocet computer for sale in a
    bike shop in years. I'm a little amazed that the Avocet brass hasn't
    figured this out for themselves.

    Price counts too. I just ordered from Peter White. I got folding
    Ultra 2k's for $28/tire. The Avocets were $35/tire. Ultimately that
    was the little bit of tilt Conti needed for the sale.

    I just wore out a pair of Conti Grand Sport tires, which are no longer
    made. They seemed to have an excellent lifetime, and had infrequent
    flats. They were also 240g for a true 25c tire -- which is about
    right for training tires.

    I have not yet used the U2k's, but you say they last well, which I
    suppose I had anticipated, since the black tread Grand Prix's have a
    relatively decent lifetime if one doesn't cut the sidewall. I presume
    they didn't entirely reinvent the wheel, or tire in this case.

    I really like the Avocet Carbon 12's -- they are excellent in pretty
    much every way (some "pure" race tires are lighter). That is what is
    on my racing wheels. For training or just tooling around, I am a
    little more price sensitive. If the sidewalls cut I'll probably
    conclude the $7/tire difference was not "worth it." But I have to
    try...

    As for Avocet's distribution and marketing, I think the company is
    utterly clueless. Too bad, because the tires themselves are
    outstanding.

  14. g white wrote in part:

    << I got folding
    Ultra 2k's for $28/tire >>

    Let us know when the sidewalls spontaneously unravel.

    Robert

  15. dvt said:
    Quoted message said:
    dvt said:

    Since the advent of "Carbon-12" and the higher prices at Avocet,
    I haven't found a suitable replacement. Any suggestions?

    David L. Johnson said:

    Look again. The price hikes seem to have been rolled back at the few
    shops/internet sites that carry them.

    I just looked via google and qbike.com. the lowest price I found was $40
    per tire with a free tube included. That was at:
    http://www.worldclasscycles.com/clincher-tires2.htm

    The price for the new Avocets doesn't seem to be dropping. Maybe I'm
    looking in the wrong places.

    You had mentioned Harris Cyclery later. But they have several Avocet
    sizes at $24.95. (no, not kevlar bead, nor belt). If you are talking
    $40, it seems you are looking at kevlar bead, which I doubt you get with a
    $25 Conti, either. In fact, Sheldon has Conti 2000s for sale at $35, no
    kevlar. Ah, kevlar for the same price.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I can assure
    _`\(,_ | you that mine are all greater. -- A. Einstein
    (_)/ (_) |

  16. Daniel Wilcox <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I'm not familiar with that size.

    20" 1 1/8

    Not quite correct.
    20 x 1 1/8" is roughly ISO size 451-28.
    20 x 1.125" is 406-28. Continental Grand Prix only comes in the
    latter size. Schwalbe Stelvio comes in both.

    Jeff (getting picky again, I know)

  17. [email hidden] (R15757) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    g white wrote in part:

    << I got folding
    Ultra 2k's for $28/tire >>

    Let us know when the sidewalls spontaneously unravel.

    Is this a new feature? I've never had a "sidewall unravel," whatever
    that is. That includes Contis and any other tire.

  18. g. white wrote:

    << > Let us know when the sidewalls spontaneously unravel.

    Is this a new feature? I've never had a "sidewall unravel," whatever
    that is. That includes Contis and any other tire. >>

    My kingdom for a digital camera.

  19. David L. Johnson said:
    dvt said:

    The price for the new Avocets doesn't seem to be dropping. Maybe I'm
    looking in the wrong places.

    Quoted message said:

    You had mentioned Harris Cyclery later. But they have several Avocet
    sizes at $24.95.

    Yeah, but I'm still waiting for the order I placed at about this time
    last year. My credit card wasn't billed, so I'm not complaining too much.

    Quoted message said:

    If you are talking
    $40, it seems you are looking at kevlar bead, which I doubt you get with a
    $25 Conti, either.

    I was talking about the *new* Avocets (with or without Kevlar) for $40.
    The *old* Avocet FasGrip tires are still available via Harris at $25,
    but see the previous paragraph on that topic.

    --
    Dave
    dvt at psu dot edu

  20. Jeff Wills said:


    Not quite correct.
    20 x 1 1/8" is roughly ISO size 451-28.
    20 x 1.125" is 406-28. Continental Grand Prix only comes in the
    latter size. Schwalbe Stelvio comes in both.

    Jeff (getting picky again, I know)

    Ok, but Continental describe their 406-28 as 20" 1 1/8 and Schwalbe
    describe both 451-28 and 406-28 as 20" 1 1/8. Whats going on?

    http://www.schwalbe.com/index.pl?bereich=produkte&einsatzbereich=2&produktgruppe=3&produkt=122
    http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/tires/race/grand_prix/grand_prix_en.html

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.