Continuing to have issues with PT on trainer

Originally Posted by bgoetz .

Might as well just replace the batteries, they are cheap. I just looked though and I only have 100 hours since the last change, so much for the claimed 400.
And just to be sure you're using the EPX76 or other Silver Oxide versions and not the less expensive A76 Alkaline batteries which work but don't last nearly as long?

Is it possible you could be getting some sort of interference with the signal from the hub? Cordless phones, baby monitors, bluetooth devices and a few others operate around the same frequency as the PT. Though this doesn't explain why this happens when you are fatigued quite as well as the battery theory does.

Still not sure what was causing the data drop but I finally figured out what was causing my power drop as my efforts progressed! I use a phone book for my front tire (cheap right). Well this a.m while pedaling my ass off to make a fraction of what I felt I should my bike slid forward off the book. Once the bike planted my power jumped 50+ watts. After my ride I took a closer look and my whole trainer was actually slowly working forward during my workouts, the harder I went the further forward. Truthfully I had noticed this before because I would always have to slide my bike and trainer back, I just never imagined a very small amount of movement would make a big difference. Boy was I wrong! After anchoring my trainer to the floor I just completed the exact workout I struggled through this a.m. at over 5% more power and I had a ton left at the end, plus my HR indicated that I was working less. Really hard to say just how much power I was losing because I think it was inconsistently killing power by moving around, but it was significant and I no longer feel as if I am pedaling through mud. So your indoor workouts feel like ****, anchor your trainer!

Still not sure what was causing the data drop but I finally figured out what was causing my power drop as my efforts progressed!

I use a phone book for my front tire (cheap right). Well this a.m while pedaling my ass off to make a fraction of what I felt I should my bike slid forward off the book. Once the bike planted my power jumped 50+ watts. After my ride I took a closer look and my whole trainer was actually slowly working forward during my workouts, the harder I went the further forward. Truthfully I had noticed this before because I would always have to slide my bike and trainer back, I just never imagined a very small amount of movement would make a big difference.

Boy was I wrong! After anchoring my trainer to the floor I just completed the exact workout I struggled through this a.m. at over 5% more power and I had a ton left at the end, plus my HR indicated that I was working less. Really hard to say just how much power I was losing because I think it was inconsistently killing power by moving around, but it was significant and I no longer feel as if I am pedaling through mud.

So your indoor workouts feel like ****, anchor your trainer!
This may be a silly question but why was the trainer moving?

It was on a rubber mat and would slowly collapse, i.e. the back would fold in and then it would work its way forward. I am cheap and have always used a phone book under the front tire which would slide or eventually the front wheel would work its way off. I never thought it could make a big difference until I was killing myself to put out 280 at the end of an interval and the front wheel dropped off the phone book and planted, then my power jumped to 360, lol.

It was on a rubber mat and would slowly collapse, i.e. the back would fold in and then it would work its way forward. I am cheap and have always used a phone book under the front tire which would slide or eventually the front wheel would work its way off. I never thought it could make a big difference until I was killing myself to put out 280 at the end of an interval and the front wheel dropped off the phone book and planted, then my power jumped to 360, lol.
So the secret of why trainer power is lower than on the road finally reveled /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif!

Yes, at least the reason of why no matter how I started my intervals I was dying by the end to put out significantly less power is revealed. By the end every effort felt like a max effort because it may have been, lol. I still think I do better outside though, my legs were pretty trashed for yesterday's outdoor workout and I had some pretty impressive results for how I felt.

It was on a rubber mat and would slowly collapse, i.e. the back would fold in and then it would work its way forward. I am cheap and have always used a phone book under the front tire which would slide or eventually the front wheel would work its way off. I never thought it could make a big difference until I was killing myself to put out 280 at the end of an interval and the front wheel dropped off the phone book and planted, then my power jumped to 360, lol
Do you think it might be worthwhile replicating that scenario just to be sure? And might dropping off the phone book have an effect? The whole thing is fascinating to me. It makes me wonder how my PT handles bumps and potholes. Something I never thought about.

I don't think it was the way the PT was handling the movement, I think it was the loss of energy that I was expending but never was making it to the rear wheel. I actually think it was the rotation of the rear wheel itself pulling the back half of the trainer inward, until at some point the bike itself started forward and continued the momentum. So all of that energy being expended never made it to the powermeter. No need to really replicate it, the result of securing the back half of the trainer is night and day.