contradictory information about nutrition

Bennett Haselto

Guest
I'm trying to learn a lot about nutrition from the ground up. I don't
know if this will help with weight loss/maintenance and general
health; one school of thought is that if we knew more, we'd be
healthier, but of course another school of thought is that we know
what things are bad for us but we eat them anyway, and what we need is
more willpower, not more knowledge :)

Anyway, it seems like if you go searching for information
beyond the basics of what types of fats there are and what a
calorie measures, there is (to make a point which must be
crashingly obvious to anyone who has studied up on
nutrition) a lot of contradictory information and advice.
Sometimes this comes from different advice sources giving
priority to different goals (one page may explain
convincinly why the Atkins diet tricks your body into
burning up its fat stores; another page might acknowledge
that this is true, but that saturated fats in meat can also
cause an increase in cholesterol levels, which won't be
reflected in weight gain but can have other harmful
effects). And sometimes two sources of information just say
the exact opposite about what happens in a given situation.

This page: http://www.countcarbs.com/advice/LCG_Myth_Realit-
y_Ketosis.htm says 'If your protein intake is adequate, the
body will not cannibalize its own protein - muscle - but
will utilize the protein eaten for what is called, in
metabolic terms, "gluconeogenesis".'
i.e. when your carbs are severely limited, your body uses
dietary protein for glucose *first*, and then *only* if
dietary protein is insufficient, does your body begin
burning its own muscles for glucose.

On the other hand, this page:
http://www.dietitian.com/locarb.html says "The problem is
when you've depleted your stores of glycogen (stored glucose
in muscle and lean tissue) your body turns to burning
muscles or organs (lean muscle tissue) and dietary protein
or fat to provide blood glucose to supply energy needs. When
this happens, your basal metabolic rate drops because you
have less lean muscle tissue burning calories and your body
thinks its starving and cuts back on energy requirements."
In other words, if you don't eat enough carbs to make
glucose, your body starts making glucose from dietary
protein and the body's own muscles *at the same time*.

Unless I read it wrong, it sounds like these can't both be
correct at the same time -- and there are lots of other
examples. Is the contradictory information due to lack of
scientific knowledge about what actually happens, or is it
just because columnists are not reliable?

And sometimes, even if it's clear what an article says, the
underlying logic just begs more questions. For example, the
http://www.countcarbs.com/advice/LCG_Myth_Reality_Ketosis.h-
tm article says that your body gets energy either from from
glucose or from fat stores, and the idea behind limiting
carbs is to limit the amount of glucose that gets made, so
that your body starts burning fat for energy. But it goes on
to say that since you need glucose for brain function, you
should make sure you eat enough protein to get that glucose.
This begs the question: if you need X amount of glucose per
day (but no more -- so that your body will turn to fat
stores for energy), then what difference does it make
whether you get that from carbohydrates or from protein?

By analogy, if I didn't know anything about computer viruses
and Internet security threats, and you tried to learn how to
protect yourself by reading the information that columnists
have put out there, it would be a huge mess sorting out all
the conflicting advice. Now that I have about an expert-
level understanding of those topics, when I read some
columnists' advice about the subject, I can usually tell how
they might have reached those conclusions, and how with a
sentence change or two the article would be pretty accurate
-- but I can't imagine actually trying to learn from reading
all that contradictory advice. It took learning about how
computers and email worked, from the ground up, before I
could tell which advice out there was valid. Is it the same
for nutrition experts in this group, reading all the columns
out there about diet and nutrition? Would it be better just
to learn about nutrition from the ground up, to get to the
point where you could be proofreading other people's
columns, than to try and learn from the columns themselves?

Oh, and if anyone happens to know the answer to the above
question (when your body runs out of glucose from
carbohydrates, does it make more glucose from dietary
protein first and only burn up your muscles when the dietary
protein runs out, or does it burn up both at the same time),
that would also be useful...

-Bennett

Bennett Haselton wrote

<snip>

> -Bennet

Why don't you ask the guys who actually know these answers
from experience not just theory. I wresled with these same
dilemmas, and came to the conclusion that bodybuilders can
be living proof of concept of ideas if you get into the
right crowd (read natural not drug assisted). Search for
articles by Lyle Mcdonald in
http://groups.google.com.au/advanced_group_search?hl=en and
have a look at http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ and
http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/mcdonald/index.htm. Some
of the info is a little out of date but i doubt if thousands
of weight trainers/bodybuilders would be hanging on this
guys every word if he didn't have something right.
--
°¿ °
2.6.4 GNU/Linux AMD Athlon(tm) Processor

"Bennett Haselton" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním príspevku
news:[email protected]...
> I'm trying to learn a lot about nutrition from the ground
> up. I don't

So do I, just perhaps for several months longer :)

> Anyway, it seems like if you go searching for information
> beyond the basics of what types of fats there are and what
> a calorie measures, there is (to make a point which must
> be crashingly obvious to anyone who has studied up on
> nutrition) a lot of contradictory information and advice.

Welcome to the world in nutrition "science" :)

> priority to different goals (one page may explain
> convincinly why the Atkins diet tricks your body into
> burning up its fat stores; another page might acknowledge
> that this is true, but that saturated fats in

BTW, I would finally like if somebody would show me a
biochemic pathway that causes this satfat problem....

That said, there probably are problems associated with
saturated fats, or better to say, with SOME saturated fats,
but if they change cholesterol levels, then it could be only
indirectly.

> the same time -- and there are lots of other examples. Is
> the contradictory information due to lack of scientific
> knowledge about what actually happens, or is it just
> because columnists are not reliable?

I think both.

> for energy. But it goes on to say that since you need
> glucose for brain function, you should make sure you eat
> enough protein to get

Actually, if you eat low-carb for some time, brain
requirements change, it starts to burn ketones instead
of glucose.

Normally you need about 100g of glucose per day for brain,
but after adaptation your requirements will drop to about
30g / day and rest of energy will be obtained from ketone
bodies. BTW, most people (including
me) report improved brain performance when running on
ketones.

> that glucose. This begs the question: if you need X amount
> of glucose per day (but no more -- so that your body will
> turn to fat stores for energy), then what difference does
> it make whether you get that from carbohydrates or from
> protein?

Carbs inhibit glucogenesis. Of course, switching between glucose-
>fat and fat->glucose happens all the time, anyway while glucose-
>fat is started quite fast (it must be, unless BG would go
too high), fat->glucose gets much longer to kick-in and the
problem is that body reacts to low BG with hunger.

> reading all the columns out there about diet and
> nutrition? Would it be better just to learn about
> nutrition from the ground up, to get to the point where
> you could be proofreading other people's columns, than to
> try and learn from the columns themselves?

I think you should start with biochemistry first:

http://www.indstate.edu/thcme/mwking/home.html

Mirek

"Mirek Fidler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Bennett Haselton" <[email protected]> píse v
> diskusním príspevku
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm trying to learn a lot about nutrition from the
> > ground up. I don't

SNIP

> I think you should start with biochemistry first:
>
> http://www.indstate.edu/thcme/mwking/home.html
>
> Mirek

****

And so should we all! Mirek, a great site, perhaps more than
a little dangerous for mooshian dogmatists. Hope we do not
hear of sudden heart attacks. Perhaps it should carry a
warning label! Mike V

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:58:06 +0200, "Mirek Fidler" <[email protected]>
posted:

>"Bennett Haselton" <[email protected]> píse v
>diskusním príspevku
>news:[email protected]...
>> I'm trying to learn a lot about nutrition from the ground
>> up. I don't
>
>So do I, just perhaps for several months longer :)
>
>> Anyway, it seems like if you go searching for information
>> beyond the basics of what types of fats there are and
>> what a calorie measures, there is (to make a point which
>> must be crashingly obvious to anyone who has studied up
>> on nutrition) a lot of contradictory information and
>> advice.
>
>Welcome to the world in nutrition "science" :)
>
>> priority to different goals (one page may explain
>> convincinly why the Atkins diet tricks your body into
>> burning up its fat stores; another page might acknowledge
>> that this is true, but that saturated fats in
>
>BTW, I would finally like if somebody would show me a
>biochemic pathway that causes this satfat problem....
>
>That said, there probably are problems associated with
>saturated fats, or better to say, with SOME saturated fats,
>but if they change cholesterol levels, then it could be
>only indirectly.

Surely sat fats are not a particular problem when you are
not fat and do enough exercise. Afterall, isn't your
body's fat stores sat fat? Seems to me that lots of
foodstuffs are a problem when too many calories are eaten
and the body accumulates too much fat storage and less and
less exercise is taken.

A varied wholefood diet with no excess of calories and with
regular moderate exercise brings no problems with metabolism
abnormalities.

>> the same time -- and there are lots of other examples. Is
>> the contradictory information due to lack of scientific
>> knowledge about what actually happens, or is it just
>> because columnists are not reliable?
>
>I think both.

I don't believe there is a particular lack of scientific
knowledge. Columnists are renowned.....

>> for energy. But it goes on to say that since you need
>> glucose for brain function, you should make sure you eat
>> enough protein to get
>
>Actually, if you eat low-carb for some time, brain
>requirements change, it starts to burn ketones instead
>of glucose.

Can you point me to some description of this, Mirek?
The brain always objects to burning mostly ketone
bodies I understand. Gluconeogenis increases until it
has enough glucose.

>Normally you need about 100g of glucose per day for brain,
>but after adaptation your requirements will drop to about
>30g / day and rest of energy will be obtained from ketone
>bodies. BTW, most people (including
>me) report improved brain performance when running on
> ketones.

That's assuming that it really IS running on ketones. I've
only heard this from the low carbers.

>> that glucose. This begs the question: if you need X
>> amount of glucose per day (but no more -- so that your
>> body will turn to fat stores for energy), then what
>> difference does it make whether you get that from
>> carbohydrates or from protein?
>
>Carbs inhibit glucogenesis. Of course, switching between
>glucose->fat and fat->glucose happens all the time, anyway
>while glucose->fat is started quite fast (it must be,
>unless BG would go too high), fat->glucose gets much longer
>to kick-in and the problem is that body reacts to low BG
>with hunger.

Well 10% of fat and much protein can be converted to
glucose.

>> reading all the columns out there about diet and
>> nutrition? Would it be better just to learn about
>> nutrition from the ground up, to get to the point where
>> you could be proofreading other people's columns, than to
>> try and learn from the columns themselves?
>
>I think you should start with biochemistry first:
>
>http://www.indstate.edu/thcme/mwking/home.html

Good site, Thanks.

On 11 Apr 2004 22:48:17 -0700, [email protected] (Bennett
Haselton) posted:

>I'm trying to learn a lot about nutrition from the ground
>up. I don't know if this will help with weight
>loss/maintenance and general health; one school of thought
>is that if we knew more, we'd be healthier, but of course
>another school of thought is that we know what things are
>bad for us but we eat them anyway, and what we need is more
>willpower, not more knowledge :)
>
>Anyway, it seems like if you go searching for information
>beyond the basics of what types of fats there are and what
>a calorie measures, there is (to make a point which must be
>crashingly obvious to anyone who has studied up on
>nutrition) a lot of contradictory information and advice.
>Sometimes this comes from different advice sources giving
>priority to different goals (one page may explain
>convincinly why the Atkins diet tricks your body into
>burning up its fat stores; another page might acknowledge
>that this is true, but that saturated fats in meat can also
>cause an increase in cholesterol levels, which won't be
>reflected in weight gain but can have other harmful
>effects). And sometimes two sources of information just say
>the exact opposite about what happens in a given situation.
>
>This page: http://www.countcarbs.com/advice/LCG_Myth_Reali-
>ty_Ketosis.htm says 'If your protein intake is adequate,
>the body will not cannibalize its own protein - muscle -
>but will utilize the protein eaten for what is called, in
>metabolic terms, "gluconeogenesis".'
>i.e. when your carbs are severely limited, your body uses
> dietary protein for glucose *first*, and then *only*
> if dietary protein is insufficient, does your body
> begin burning its own muscles for glucose.
>
>On the other hand, this page:
>http://www.dietitian.com/locarb.html says "The problem is
>when you've depleted your stores of glycogen (stored
>glucose in muscle and lean tissue) your body turns to
>burning muscles or organs (lean muscle tissue) and dietary
>protein or fat to provide blood glucose to supply energy
>needs. When this happens, your basal metabolic rate drops
>because you have less lean muscle tissue burning calories
>and your body thinks its starving and cuts back on energy
>requirements." In other words, if you don't eat enough
>carbs to make glucose, your body starts making glucose
>from dietary protein and the body's own muscles *at the
>same time*.
>
>Unless I read it wrong, it sounds like these can't both be
>correct at the same time -- and there are lots of other
>examples. Is the contradictory information due to lack of
>scientific knowledge about what actually happens, or is it
>just because columnists are not reliable?

Columnists are often quite wrong. The apparent
contradictions are probably because energy from fat was not
taken into account, and also whether excess energy was being
consumed, or just the right amount or less than is needed.

>And sometimes, even if it's clear what an article says, the
>underlying logic just begs more questions. For example, the
>http://www.countcarbs.com/advice/LCG_Myth_Reality_Ketosis.-
>htm article says that your body gets energy either from
>from glucose or from fat stores, and the idea behind
>limiting carbs is to limit the amount of glucose that gets
>made, so that your body starts burning fat for energy. But
>it goes on to say that since you need glucose for brain
>function, you should make sure you eat enough protein to
>get that glucose. This begs the question: if you need X
>amount of glucose per day (but no more -- so that your body
>will turn to fat stores for energy), then what difference
>does it make whether you get that from carbohydrates or
>from protein?

It doesn't, so long as you are not eating way too much
energy. Then all sorts of problems rear their ugly heads.