Contrary old bugger

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Chuckabutty, Aug 13, 2019 at 8:42 AM.

1. Chuckabutty

Chuckabutty Active Member

There is a certain gentleman on this forum who reminds me of my late father. In any kind of a conversation with him, no matter what the subject, he would manipulate things in order to always be right, and the other person always wrong.

So I have put this certain gentleman on 'Ignore,' not so much because of his contrary ways, but because of his signature, seen at the bottom of all his comments. My opinion is that a signature should be no more than one line. It certainly ought not to extend to several lines. Evidently, this person has a quarrel with another member, so his signature is all about cutting the other member down, and even gives his forum name. That is most objectionable, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn the other member has also put him on 'Ignore.'

Tags:

2. BrianNystrom

BrianNystrom Member

There are plenty of "contrary old buggers" on this forum. You got a problem wit dat? ;)

3. Chuckabutty

Ain't got no problem wit contrary old buggers. Just don't like to see contrary old buggers using a signature to be mean.

4. BrianNystrom

BrianNystrom Member

FWIW, I actually wrote the text that Froze uses as his signature, though I only posted it after Cyclintom dropped one of his diatribes on us. The point was to warn other readers that he had no idea what he was talking about and that his advise could be dangerous. He has since been banned from the group for attacking anyone who dared to point out his numerous errors. I'll give Froze the benefit of the doubt that his signature is just meant as an ongoing reminder to other readers.

5. Chuckabutty

Thank you for telling me. I have encountered CyclingTom and did argue against his post, but I've not seen him attacking anyone. I saw his BS but that doesn't bother me. Now an attack is another matter. I know he claims he is an engineer but that doesn't mean a whole lot to me because anyone can claim to be anything. If I remember correctly, he was talking about poisonous gas training.

6. Chuckabutty

I think, though, that it's not up to anyone to warn everyone else about a certain member. Anyone who is attacked by him can simply put him on ignore, that way he can't attack anyone because he won't see anything they said. That seems like a kinder way. And if he's been banned from the group, then the warning isn't necessary.

7. BrianNystrom

BrianNystrom Member

I don't agree. In this case, much of what he said could end up hurting someone, either physically or financially. He posted huge amounts of utter nonsense, often contradicting himself, which would confusing enough for those of use who could determine what he meant, but would be unintelligible to many. Unless you go back and read some of his rants, you have no concept of how much of a problem he was. Our decision to take matters into our own hands and warn people about him was not made lightly. There's a reason he was banned; he deserved it. He was contributing nothing useful to the forum and was sewing discord every time he posted. Things have been much more cordial since he's been gone. In fact, I haven't seen any real arguments between members.

You may reasonably argue that there isn't a need for Froze to maintain his signature, but that's something you can take up with him. I'll bet that he just hasn't given it any thought.