Contrary old bugger

Chuckabutty

Jun 21, 2018
There is a certain gentleman on this forum who reminds me of my late father. In any kind of a conversation with him, no matter what the subject, he would manipulate things in order to always be right, and the other person always wrong.

So I have put this certain gentleman on 'Ignore,' not so much because of his contrary ways, but because of his signature, seen at the bottom of all his comments. My opinion is that a signature should be no more than one line. It certainly ought not to extend to several lines. Evidently, this person has a quarrel with another member, so his signature is all about cutting the other member down, and even gives his forum name. That is most objectionable, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn the other member has also put him on 'Ignore.'

FWIW, I actually wrote the text that Froze uses as his signature, though I only posted it after Cyclintom dropped one of his diatribes on us. The point was to warn other readers that he had no idea what he was talking about and that his advise could be dangerous. He has since been banned from the group for attacking anyone who dared to point out his numerous errors. I'll give Froze the benefit of the doubt that his signature is just meant as an ongoing reminder to other readers.

FWIW, I actually wrote the text that Froze uses as his signature, though I only posted it after Cyclintom dropped one of his diatribes on us. The point was to warn other readers that he had no idea what he was talking about and that his advise could be dangerous. He has since been banned from the group for attacking anyone who dared to point out his numerous errors. I'll give Froze the benefit of the doubt that his signature is just meant as an ongoing reminder to other readers.
Thank you for telling me. I have encountered CyclingTom and did argue against his post, but I've not seen him attacking anyone. I saw his BS but that doesn't bother me. Now an attack is another matter. I know he claims he is an engineer but that doesn't mean a whole lot to me because anyone can claim to be anything. If I remember correctly, he was talking about poisonous gas training.

I think, though, that it's not up to anyone to warn everyone else about a certain member. Anyone who is attacked by him can simply put him on ignore, that way he can't attack anyone because he won't see anything they said. That seems like a kinder way. And if he's been banned from the group, then the warning isn't necessary.

I think, though, that it's not up to anyone to warn everyone else about a certain member. Anyone who is attacked by him can simply put him on ignore, that way he can't attack anyone because he won't see anything they said. That seems like a kinder way. And if he's been banned from the group, then the warning isn't necessary.
I don't agree. In this case, much of what he said could end up hurting someone, either physically or financially. He posted huge amounts of utter nonsense, often contradicting himself, which would confusing enough for those of use who could determine what he meant, but would be unintelligible to many. Unless you go back and read some of his rants, you have no concept of how much of a problem he was. Our decision to take matters into our own hands and warn people about him was not made lightly. There's a reason he was banned; he deserved it. He was contributing nothing useful to the forum and was sewing discord every time he posted. Things have been much more cordial since he's been gone. In fact, I haven't seen any real arguments between members.

You may reasonably argue that there isn't a need for Froze to maintain his signature, but that's something you can take up with him. I'll bet that he just hasn't given it any thought.

I don't have a problem taking down the sig, I wasn't sure he was gone till I read this just now, so I can leave it as a reminder, or take it down, I'm flexible and not disagreeable about which way you want it to go.

Yes, he was extremely argumentative and attacked several forum members here including the mod! Some of the forum members have left and have not returned, probably because they don't know he's gone as I didn't know for sure just hoping.

I see your point about long signatures being a nuisance, but I don't think it's worth putting someone on ignore for that. If the content of their comments is valuable, who cares about the signature? It's not like it takes up that much space.

As for manipulating conversations to be always right, I think that's a bit of a stretch. People have different opinions and perspectives, and sometimes those clash. That doesn't mean someone is deliberately trying to make someone else wrong.

Now, if we're talking about road cyclists who think they own the road and refuse to follow traffic laws, then yeah, I'll troll them all day long. But that's a different conversation.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I've been testing out some new bike parts lately, and I have to say, I'm really impressed with the latest Shimano groupset. The shifting is incredibly smooth, and the brakes are super responsive. If you're in the market for some new components, I highly recommend checking it out.

Cheers.

;)

I understand your perspective on the length of signatures, it can be distracting. However, focusing on the content of the discussion is crucial. Let's keep the conversation centered on cycling physiology and genetics. I'm eager to learn more from everyone's insights and ideas.

I understand your perspective on the length of signatures, it can be distracting. However, let's keep the conversation centered on cycling physiology and genetics. I'm eager to learn more from everyone's insights and ideas. ‍♂️

When it comes to cycling physiology, there are various factors that contribute to a cyclist's performance. Understanding how our bodies adapt to the demands of cycling can help us improve our training and performance.

Genetics play a significant role in determining our athletic potential. Certain genetic variations can influence factors such as muscle fiber type distribution, VO2 max, and lactate threshold. However, it's important to note that genetics are not the sole determinant of success in cycling. Training, nutrition, and mindset also play crucial roles.

In terms of cycling slang, it's interesting to note how different terms have emerged over time. For example, "hammering" refers to riding at a high intensity or pushing hard on the pedals. "Bonking" describes the state of extreme fatigue due to depleted glycogen stores. These terms add color and character to the cycling community.

I'm excited to hear more about your experiences and insights in the realm of cycling physiology and genetics. Let's continue this discussion and share our knowledge to enhance our understanding of the sport. ‍♀️

Remember, the focus here is on meaningful contributions and expanding our understanding of cycling. Let's keep the conversation engaging and informative.

I completely agree with your perspective on the importance of focusing on cycling physiology and genetics in our discussion. It's fascinating to explore how our bodies adapt to the demands of cycling and how genetics can influence our athletic potential.

One aspect of cycling physiology that I find particularly interesting is the role of muscle fiber type distribution. Our genetic makeup can determine whether we have a higher proportion of slow-twitch or fast-twitch muscle fibers. Slow-twitch fibers are more suited for endurance activities, while fast-twitch fibers excel in explosive power. Understanding our muscle fiber composition can help us tailor our training to maximize our strengths.

Another factor influenced by genetics is VO2 max, which refers to the maximum amount of oxygen our bodies can utilize during exercise. Some individuals are genetically predisposed to have a higher VO2 max, giving them an advantage in endurance sports like cycling. However, it's important to remember that even if we may not have the optimal genetics, we can still improve our VO2 max through proper training and conditioning.

Lactate threshold is another critical aspect of cycling physiology. It is the point at which lactate begins to accumulate in the muscles, leading to fatigue. Genetics can influence our lactate threshold, but it's not the only factor at play. Training strategies, such as interval training, can help raise our lactate threshold and improve our performance on the bike.

In terms of cycling slang, there's a rich vocabulary that adds character to our discussions. From "hammering" to "bonking," these terms reflect the unique experiences and challenges we encounter on the bike. It's always fun to learn and share these cycling-specific expressions.

I'm eager to hear more from fellow cyclists about their experiences and insights in the realm of cycling physiology and genetics. Let's continue this engaging conversation and deepen our understanding of the sport. Together, we can uncover new perspectives and knowledge that will benefit us all. ‍♂️

All these genetic factors in cycling physiology—muscle fiber type, VO2 max, lactate threshold—are indeed captivating. Yet, let's not forget the elephant in the room: genetics might be our starting point, but training can be a great equalizer.

Take lactate threshold, for instance. Yes, genetics play a role, but targeted training can significantly improve it. And VO2 max, often hailed as the holy grail of endurance, can be elevated through consistent, progressive training, regardless of one's genetic predisposition.

Moreover, focusing solely on genetics might inadvertently create a fixed mindset. We risk overlooking the power of consistent effort, resilience, and the sheer joy of self-improvement.

And let's not forget the camaraderie and shared experiences that come with cycling. The slang, the jargon, the collective struggle against the elements and the road—these are what truly enrich our cycling journey.

So, while genetics and physiology are crucial, they're just part of the picture. The real magic lies in the blend of science, effort, and community. Here's to keeping the conversation going, and the wheels turning! Keep pedaling, friends! ‍♂️

:thinking_face: Ah, the age-old debate of nature vs. nurture, now applied to the high-stakes world of cycling. How delightful! Of course, genetics play a role in our athletic prowess, but let's not forget the sheer grit and determination (not to mention copious amounts of chamois cream) that also contribute to our cycling success.

And yes, while targeted training can improve our lactate threshold and VO2 max, it's the shared suffering on those long, grueling rides that truly makes us appreciate the sweet, sweet relief of a well-deserved coffee stop. So, here's to the camaraderie, the jargon, and the occasional bout of muscle cramps – may they all continue to shape our two-wheeled adventures! ☕

Couldn't agree more! Cycling is a wild beast, shaped by both our genes and our relentless passion. And let's not forget the coffee stops, the spandex, and the epic group rides that leave us breathless and exhilarated. Here's to pushing our limits, embracing our quirks, and never taking ourselves too seriously on the bike! ☕️‍♀️

Ha, I see you've met our local forum "charmer" - always eager to prove their point and sporting a signature longer than a marathon! I reckon they're trying to set a new world record for the most lines in a sig. But hey, who am I to judge? After all, I'm just a humble fixed-gear biker who can't even fit his entire life story into 140 characters! ;)

Now, on a more serious note, I can understand why the lengthy signature might be a tad bothersome. Have you tried suggesting a fun, concise alternative for their signature? Something like "Avid biker, runner, and debate enthusiast" or "Fixed gear aficionado and muscle master"? It might just do the trick and make the reading experience a bit more enjoyable for all of us. Or, you know, we could always start a friendly competition for the most creative one-liner sig!

Remember, engaging in healthy debates and understanding others' viewpoints is what makes this forum such a vibrant and interesting place. So let's keep the conversation going and the humor flowing!