Controls, who makes them for smaller hands?

DiRt DeViL

Feb 8, 2006
My son's bike came with Shimano 105 controls and he can't shift to the big ring on his own. We either stop and make the shift or he'll pull the lever from the other side until it shifts.

Is a manufacturer out there that makes shifters for small handed people?

DiRt DeViL said:
My son's bike came with Shimano 105 controls and he can't shift to the big ring on his own. We either stop and make the shift or he'll pull the lever from the other side until it shifts.

Shimano makes a couple models but they are quite expensive.
http://harriscyclery.net/page.cfm?PageID=49&action=list&Category=661&brand=367&modelid=2742&type=T
http://harriscyclery.net/page.cfm?PageID=49&action=list&Category=661&brand=367&modelid=8781&type=T
The adjustable reach on R600 (9 speed) or R700 (10 speed) move the brake levers closer to the bar (8 and 16 mm for 10 speed or 10 and 20 mm for 9 speed).
Sometimes a different handlebar and/or a different position of the levers on the bar can help. Keep in mind the safety aspects of control and braking.

Is the problem that he can't reach it, or that he isn't strong enough to move the lever?

benkoostra said:
Is the problem that he can't reach it, or that he isn't strong enough to move the lever?
Might actually be a combination of both, he has no problems on the right side.

benkoostra said:
If it's the latter...hell, *I'M* barely strong enough to hog that brifter up onto the big ring smoothly and reliably!

But if it's the former, you might want to look into Specialized Slim Shims:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=25305

They fit between the top of a Shimano brifter lever and the underside of the hoods, and basically just move the brifter closer to the handlebar, making it much easier to reach the levers. I'm a full-grown adult (with a handspread of nearly a tenth on the piano keyboard) and I still found Slim Shims made my brifters much more comfortable.

DiRt DeViL said:

I agree with gclark that the a good solution is to use a bar-end (or a downtube shifter) on the front derailleur (maybe rear too, if that is also hard to shift). I doubt that the shims or the R600/R700 will help that much if it is as difficult as you describe. The bar-end or downtube will let him get more leverage.

DiRt DeViL said:
That explains it. It's a strength issue, because you have to push pretty hard (much harder than on the rear shifter) to get to the big ring. I know how he feels!
I think the thumb shifter idea would solve the problem. Or maybe bar-enders. He might think those are cool.:D
You know, I've had trouble with the reach required to get to the brake lever with STI. I'll probably make my own shims out of rubber or something.

benkoostra said:
You know, I've had trouble with the reach required to get to the brake lever with STI. I'll probably make my own shims out of rubber or something.

I've heard pencil erasers (cut them off the end of a pencil) are perfect shims

DiRt DeViL said:
It could be the front derailleur's return spring ...

I had a couple of Ultegra 6500 front derailleurs which were all but impossible to use when they were attached to 6500 STI shifters (I was originally using the particular front derailleurs with some downtube shifters, so I didn't really notice how "stiff" they were) ... installing DIFFERENT Shimano front derailleurs resolved the shifting problem ...

Try swapping the front derailleur on his bike with the one on yours (if the "clamp" size is the same).

FWIW. TERRY sells a special ROAD handlebar for smaller hands ...

alfeng said:
It could be the front derailleur's return spring ...

I had a couple of Ultegra 6500 front derailleurs which were all but impossible to use when they were attached to 6500 STI shifters (I was originally using the particular front derailleurs with some downtube shifters, so I didn't really notice how "stiff" they were) ... installing DIFFERENT Shimano front derailleurs resolved the shifting problem ...

Try swapping the front derailleur on his bike with the one on yours (if the "clamp" size is the same).

FWIW. TERRY sells a special ROAD handlebar for smaller hands ...
I am with you on the return spring issue. I have experienced the same thing.... so strong that the bar-end shifter would not hold it with standard torque.
Sometimes positioning the shifter and a different bar can provide a more ergonomic placement for the hand.

Thanks for the suggestions, will take the bike to the lbs to have the mechanic take a look at the front mech and adjust if needed.

Here's the little guy in action (green uniform, gray helmet)
DSCN0173.jpg

DiRt DeViL said:
Thanks for the suggestions, will take the bike to the lbs to have the mechanic take a look at the front mech and adjust if needed.
The spring tension on the front derailleur cannot be adjusted ... the derailleur needs to be change IF that is the problem ...

If the shifter is triple-capable, then you can put almost ANY front derailleur on the bike ... if the crank is a double.

FWIW. I mated a 9-speed 105 triple-capable front shifter with an 8-speed XT front derailleur (it's what I already had which fit the frame) and a regular, double ROAD crank ... and/BUT, used three "clicks" to move the 9-speed chain from stop-to-stop instead of two "clicks" because the plates on the 8-speed front derailleur cage are wider apart than the plates on the 9-speed front derailleur ...

DiRt DeViL said:
Campy or campy + Jtek.

Shimano makes a version of Ultegra with adjustable reach--at least they did in 9-speed.

I've been trying to get the shims online but can't find them, Specialized does sell online to where I live and the Spec dealer doesn't have them in stock.

Any online sources for the Slim Shims?

DiRt DeViL said:
I've been trying to get the shims online but can't find them, Specialized does sell online to where I live and the Spec dealer doesn't have them in stock.

You can make some out of rubber.

DiRt DeViL said:

It's possible Specialized isn't available on the internet, period. I've never looked hard, but I did always think it was a bit odd that neither Nashbar, Performance, nor Excel Sports carried any Specialized gear.

Try this place http://larrysbicyclesplus.com/index.cfm That's where I bought mine (though not over the internet, I walked into the shop)

or here http://www.piermontbike.com/

Call them up and ask if they can sell Specialized across state lines.

Bob Ross said:
It's possible Specialized isn't available on the internet, period. I've never looked hard, but I did always think it was a bit odd that neither Nashbar, Performance, nor Excel Sports carried any Specialized gear.
That is because Specialized only sells over the Internet through its own online store. Specialized.com has the shims for $10.

After to talking to 2 coaches (including my son's) yesterday have reached the conclusion that a bar end or thumb shifter is the way to go.

Shims won't help, he just can't push the lever enough for it to shift.

My question now is, will a bar end shifter fit inside the end of the handlebar? I've never seen one installed on the drops of a road bike before.

Who sells individual bar end shifters? Don't want to buy a full set for just the left.

DiRt DeViL said:
After to talking to 2 coaches (including my son's) yesterday have reached the conclusion that a bar end or thumb shifter is the way to go.

Shims won't help, he just can't push the lever enough for it to shift.

My question now is, will a bar end shifter fit inside the end of the handlebar? I've never seen one installed on the drops of a road bike before.

Who sells individual bar end shifters? Don't want to buy a full set for just the left.
Yes, the bar-ends, as the name suggests, are designed to fit in the ends of ROAD handlebars.

Shimano & Campagnolo still make bar ends ... they are most frequently used, now, on TT bars ...

The Shimano bar-end can be used in index OR friction mode (this is more of an issue with the "right" hand bar-end) ... they are available from your local bike shop (whew, they will be expensive) or eBay (be judicious in your purchase ... an 8-speed set will probably cost $40, used ... a new 10-speed set at your LBS is in the $85+ range, I guess ... you can, also, opt for an OLDER SunTour bar-end lever which is friction only ... they generally have shorter levers).

Sometimes, you can find an individual one ...

At this point, if you are ABSOLUTELY certain the problem isn't with the front derailleur, itself (have you tried that front shifter on YOUR bike or any other, yet ... OR, a different front derailleur on your son's bike?), I would actually recommend a set of thumb shifters because they are cheaper (often, under $20US for a pair on eBay) ... but, the clamp is usually designed for a MTB handlebar, so unless you get one with a cheaper, stamped clamp (vs. cast) & file away a bit, the thumb shifter will probably not fit on your son's handlebar.

If there are ANY tandem riders in your neck of the woods, you may find a single/orphan bar-end in their spare parts box.