Conundrum (a few of them acually) - help with training/planning

DancenMacabre

Jul 17, 2009
I decided to take the plunge and get the power meter thingy started. I have a unit called the power tap s-l on the bicycle now. I have now done a bicycle ride of 21 miles which feels good when my best before was about 4-5 miles.

No, no, I am not doing a full blown, hard core training plan with it. However I do pay attention to the number and figured out quite fast that it is pretty darn indicative of what is going on. I also got a training with power book I saw mentioned on the forum and read that too. Some of it definitely went over my head and maybe more for racers and more serious bicyclists. Yet I think I for sure got the basics of the training levels, how they work, and how to use the power meter device. The software gave me a good idea of what level and pace I can do for one hour.

One problem I have is that I live in a super duper congested area. I am not kidding or exaggerating. I never realized this before because I didn't ride far but now I see. It is very rare, almost never happens, that you can go even 1/2-mile without a stoplight or intersection. Oh yes and the roads are littered with potholes and laced with traffic galore.

My only options are to forever ride in this frustrating stop & go (never for more than a few minutes!) or try to ride without stopping by doing 1) way too steep hills that make me run out of breath in 2-3 minutes even in the granny gear, plus they make my knees heart or, 2) one of those car free paths that everyone (like joggers, walkers, um, drunks, dogs, etc) can use which runs maybe 2 miles but is always full of people.

The book suggests that a riding style called tempo is a good training level to do. Supposedly doing long efforts at this 85ish% level is a great way to get fitter. I cannot do that though, I mean I can't ride 3 minutes without having to stop/wait for a while/start/repeat. Sorry but I do not run lights and I do stop at stop signs.

Do I need a stationary bike for indoors to train or some kind of roller device? Would that a better option? I see plenty of comments here about them so I assume some of you use and have these machines.

People I know say to just ride the hills but they are way out of my level. Maybe I am heavy compared to the stick figure bodies some bicyclists have. I don't know. Besides I dont want to hurt my joints.

One last question. How many miles or hours should you increase per week? In running they always said x % increase and no more. Does that apply in bicycling also?

I constantly get invited on these incredibly long rides, maybe 60 miles with thousands of feet of hill climbing. One day I want to do those but the friends I have act as if anyone can do them. It is very discouraging when you are a beginner.

An indoor trainer would help, if you have a good set up and the mental wherewithal to spend time on it.

Maybe the solution is to plan on taking the bike beyond the city limits once or twice a week?

Or move home.

From your description, I would perscribe a full winter training regiment with a statioary bike with power meter & HR monitor. You first need a substantial aerobic base for the long rides, then some foundation of power development for climbing. My daughter and I had a century ride before last spring, and we trained indoors for the Giretto. A Livestrong event of 400+ miles in Italy in 4 days with the last 2 in the Dolomites. 85% of our training was indoors. You can read about it at cyclingfusion.com - the blog posts of that whole process. We will be publishing our full 16 week plan at that site as well.

You know what they say: "When given lemons make lemonade!"

As another poster said, ride out of the city to the less congested areas around you. On the way out....use the start-and-stop roads as a warm-up. ie, just take it easy until you get out of the city limits. Or....if it were me, I would be drafting behind buses and trucks every opportunity:D (But I like doing that sort of thing, it's good practice for track riding, YMMV)

At the very worst, have you considered packing the bike in a car and driving out somewhere beyond the city limits to start your rides?
In any case, you need to make the most of your environment. There's always a way to ride, if you look for it.

I wish I could get out of town easier or more frequently.

Yeah yeah, the catch is, I don't have a car :(

Worse still I am surrounded by one bit of urban sprawl after the next.

So like a couple of you said I may have no choice but to do indoor training.

Can you do any meaningful training outdoors in a perpetual stop & wait 5 minutes & start again for 2 minutes & repeat situation? I guess I ought to say meaningful training for a goal of being able to ride your bike for long distances and up hills. I am not trying to be some sort of stop light to stop light racer :)

Dancen - you might want to try finding other riders in your area and see what their preferred routes are. Try starting at your local bikeshop and asking them.

You may also find that there's public transportation you can use to get to less congested areas.

With a little training, your granny gear should soon be sufficient to scale those hills, btw. So if you just keep riding, your problem may be solved for you.