Conversation in the Paceline

Tom Kunich

Guest
(We're on a spectacularly beautiful road with a conservation oceanic slough on one side. On the
other is rising hills covered in verdant greenery. There aren't any houses for about 5 miles here.
Just salt marsh on the one side and forest and meadow on the other. The paceline is wheeling along
at about 22 and we pass a possum in the middle of the road laying feet straight up, mouth wide open
showing blood teeth as rigid as a board.)

"Well, that's one possum that won't be playing possum anymore." "I don't know, that's why they
call it playing possum." "Possums can even emit a smell like rotting possum." "So can Benny
after burritos and beer." "If that possum is playing possum he must be the Sir Laurence Olivier
of possums."

That was enough and several of the members boosted the pace to the point where the conversation
consisted only of gasping.

Tom Kunich wrote:

> (We're on a spectacularly beautiful road with a conservation oceanic slough on one side. On the
> other is rising hills covered in verdant greenery. There aren't any houses for about 5 miles here.
> Just salt marsh on the one side and forest and meadow on the other. The paceline is wheeling along
> at about 22 and we pass a possum in the middle of the road laying feet straight up, mouth wide
> open showing blood teeth as rigid as a board.)
>
> "Well, that's one possum that won't be playing possum anymore." "I don't know, that's why they
> call it playing possum." "Possums can even emit a smell like rotting possum." "So can Benny after
> burritos and beer." "If that possum is playing possum he must be the Sir Laurence Olivier of
> possums."
>
> That was enough and several of the members boosted the pace to the point where the conversation
> consisted only of gasping.

Wasn't this a Seinfeld episode?

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS Brooklyn, NY 718-258-5001 http://www.dentaltwins.com

"Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tom Kunich wrote:
> > (We're on a spectacularly beautiful road with a conservation
oceanic
> > slough on one side. On the other is rising hills covered in
verdant
> > greenery. There aren't any houses for about 5 miles here. Just
salt
> > marsh on the one side and forest and meadow on the other. The
paceline
> > is wheeling along at about 22 and we pass a possum in the middle
of
> > the road laying feet straight up, mouth wide open showing blood
teeth
> > as rigid as a board.)
> >
> > "Well, that's one possum that won't be playing possum anymore." "I don't know, that's why they
> > call it playing possum." "Possums can even emit a smell like rotting possum." "So can Benny
> > after burritos and beer." "If that possum is playing possum he must be the Sir Laurence
Olivier
> > of possums."
>
> Wasn't this a Seinfeld episode?

Sounded that way to me. Damn women always manage to break up the group.

In article <[email protected]>, Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Tom Kunich wrote:
>
> > (We're on a spectacularly beautiful road with a conservation oceanic slough on one side. On the
> > other is rising hills covered in verdant greenery. There aren't any houses for about 5 miles
> > here. Just salt marsh on the one side and forest and meadow on the other. The paceline is
> > wheeling along at about 22 and we pass a possum in the middle of the road laying feet straight
> > up, mouth wide open showing blood teeth as rigid as a board.)
> >
> > "Well, that's one possum that won't be playing possum anymore." "I don't know, that's why they
> > call it playing possum." "Possums can even emit a smell like rotting possum." "So can Benny
> > after burritos and beer." "If that possum is playing possum he must be the Sir Laurence Olivier
> > of possums."
> >
> > That was enough and several of the members boosted the pace to the point where the conversation
> > consisted only of gasping.
>
> Wasn't this a Seinfeld episode?

Random smart-aleck quotes paraphrased from today's ride up the Seymour watershed, in which we (that
is, me) generally behaved irresponsibly on a super-wide MUP:

[First rider is on a steel Pinarello, the second rider on a Ti Cramerotti]: "This bike you sold me
is great. It's even faster than your bike!" "You know how much I paid for that Sora brifteur on your
bike? Five bucks."

[to the oldest rider in the group, as he sprinted off; he's wearing a white jersey]: "White jersey
is for the best young rider, right?"

[Said by the Cramerotti rider, looking behind him after a monster sprint only to see the Pinarello
rider on his wheel]: "Oh damn."

"The problem with those 5-year-olds is you can't get any draft on them." "Yeah. They're wide enough
with the training wheels, but too low to the ground."

[referring to a parent with a half-bike trailer and another child on a separate bike]: "Okay, let's
gap to the peloton there..."

"I think I have a conditioning problem." "You can solve that with equipment."

"And now, as Fabrizio Mazzoleni would tell us, the most important part of the ride, posing at the
coffee shop."

> Random smart-aleck quotes paraphrased from today's ride up the Seymour watershed, in which we
> (that is, me) generally behaved irresponsibly on a super-wide MUP:

Your group rides seem a bit more lively than mine. On Sunday I did a fun 85 km loop starting in
Kluisbergen with a group of 10-15, and the only conversation I heard was:

20 km (hill) - heavy breathing 60 km (another hill) "wacht" (wait for the third guy, who dropped
off) 75 km (another hill) "wacht" (wait for the third guy, who dropped off even more) 76 km (after
top of hill) "merci" (and more heavy breathing from the third guy, who caught back on) 85 km
(finish) "..."

Despite the lack of banter, the ride was actually quite enjoyable.

cheers, Jeff

well that sounds like a deep and meaningful conversation compared to the guys you find riding in the
amsterdam area.

the conversations here consist of grunts and the occasional snort of snot. must eb all the ****
cheese they eat...

news:<[email protected]>...

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (otto) wrote:

> "Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > Your group rides seem a bit more lively than mine. On Sunday I did a fun 85 km loop starting in
> > Kluisbergen with a group of 10-15, and the only conversation I heard was:
> >
> > 20 km (hill) - heavy breathing 60 km (another hill) "wacht" (wait for the third guy, who dropped
> > off) 75 km (another hill) "wacht" (wait for the third guy, who dropped off even more) 76 km
> > (after top of hill) "merci" (and more heavy breathing from the third guy, who caught back on) 85
> > km (finish) "..."
> >
> > Despite the lack of banter, the ride was actually quite enjoyable.

> well that sounds like a deep and meaningful conversation compared to the guys you find riding in
> the amsterdam area.
>
> the conversations here consist of grunts and the occasional snort of snot. must eb all the ****
> cheese they eat...

Well, this was a pretty light ride. We were only out for an hour, only did about 25 km, and no
especially evil hills. The ride was a nice mix of comic relief and intimidation sprints.