Conversation Outtakes (few short ones)

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Paladin, Jun 9, 2003.

  1. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    True Conversation Snippets:

    At a downtown diner, two stuffed-shirt bankers from Cleveland: "we flew in this morning, and
    couldn't believe all the trails up in the mountains, what is this place, a hiker's paradise, or
    something?" Close, but no cigar... We leave the diner together, and I enlighten the knaves as I hop
    into my old pickup loaded with bikes.

    Friend to me, over lunch, "I saved over a hundred dollars buying my daughter a bike at Wal-Mart.
    You wouldn't believe how much they wanted for one that "looked the same" at George's [a good
    bike shop]."

    [Three weeks later:] "CDB, I'm so proud of my daughter and her karate training! She was riding fast
    down her first real trail when her brakes came loose, fell into the spokes and locked her bike up.
    She flew off the bike, tumbled hard, but came up pretty much O.K."

    Paladin And there are so many more...

    Tags:

  2. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Paladin thoughtfully penned:
    > True Conversation Snippets:
    >
    > At a downtown diner, two stuffed-shirt bankers from Cleveland: "we flew in this morning, and
    > couldn't believe all the trails up in the mountains, what is this place, a hiker's paradise, or
    > something?" Close, but no cigar... We leave the diner together, and I enlighten the knaves as I
    > hop into my old pickup loaded with bikes.
    >

    > Friend to me, over lunch, "I saved over a hundred dollars buying my daughter a bike at Wal-Mart.
    > You wouldn't believe how much they wanted for one that "looked the same" at George's [a good
    > bike shop]."
    >
    > [Three weeks later:] "CDB, I'm so proud of my daughter and her karate training! She was riding
    > fast down her first real trail when her brakes came loose, fell into the spokes and locked her
    > bike up. She flew off the bike, tumbled hard, but came up pretty much O.K."
    >
    > Paladin And there are so many more...

    haha. here's my own you can laugh at, I know I did. Evidently I impressed the heck out of someone
    Saturday by "quoting" material gleaned from the reviews at mtbr.com. <snicker> I was at a little
    graduation party, recognized my neighbors former riding pal and we're yakking away. He says he's
    looking at Trek Fuels so naturally I say, , "watch out for the chain suck and those Bontrager
    cranks" ( IMO anyone with a keyboard and a search engine will come up with that info) and then
    introduces me to his wife and someone who really knows her stuff. ( roll eyes, the technical threads
    bore me to death) I don't know why I find this humourous but I do. The guy had all the markings of a
    poseur, didn't even know of one of the major trail groupings in town, and had to give me the litany
    of all the *locations" he rides... Moab, etc....(yawn)

    Penny

  3. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Penny S. thoughtfully penned:

    > haha. here's my own you can laugh at, I know I did. Evidently I impressed the heck out of someone
    > Saturday by "quoting" material gleaned from the reviews at mtbr.com. <snicker> I was at a little
    > graduation party, recognized my neighbors former riding pal and we're yakking away. He says he's
    > looking at Trek Fuels so naturally I say, , "watch out for the chain suck and those Bontrager
    > cranks" ( IMO anyone with a keyboard and a search engine will come up with that info) and then
    > introduces me to his wife and [should read ]**as** someone who really knows her stuff. (
    roll eyes, the
    > technical threads bore me to death) I don't know why I find this humourous but I do. The guy had
    > all the markings of a poseur, didn't even know of one of the major trail groupings in town, and
    > had to give me the litany of all the *locations" he rides... Moab, etc....(yawn)
    >
    > Penny

  4. hehe... here's another one...

    My neighbours kids are anxious to take up mountain biking - particularly since their friend's
    parents bought THEIR kids a pair of bikes. Get this though... daddy spend 2500 on TWO bikes
    (raleigh?????) that are total garbage. He might as well have bought "supercycles" (with
    kickstands!). I told my neighbour that he COULD have gotten TWO REAL mountain bikes (norco or trek
    hardtails - LX quality, and tough) for about 1800.

    The sum substance is that those bikes will last all of ONE ride on the trails here. I can't count
    the number of wannabes I've seen walking their bikes home after just one run.

    As a side note, the bikes must weigh at least 50-60 pounds!

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > True Conversation Snippets:
    >
    > At a downtown diner, two stuffed-shirt bankers from Cleveland: "we flew in this morning, and
    > couldn't believe all the trails up in the mountains, what is this place, a hiker's paradise, or
    > something?" Close, but no cigar... We leave the diner together, and I enlighten the knaves as I
    > hop into my old pickup loaded with bikes.
    >

    > Friend to me, over lunch, "I saved over a hundred dollars buying my daughter a bike at Wal-Mart.
    > You wouldn't believe how much they wanted for one that "looked the same" at George's [a good
    > bike shop]."
    >
    > [Three weeks later:] "CDB, I'm so proud of my daughter and her karate training! She was riding
    > fast down her first real trail when her brakes came loose, fell into the spokes and locked her
    > bike up. She flew off the bike, tumbled hard, but came up pretty much O.K."
    >
    > Paladin And there are so many more...

  5. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > True Conversation Snippets:
    >
    > At a downtown diner, two stuffed-shirt bankers from Cleveland: "we flew in this morning, and
    > couldn't believe all the trails up in the mountains, what is this place, a hiker's paradise, or
    > something?" Close, but no cigar... We leave the diner together, and I enlighten the knaves as I
    > hop into my old pickup loaded with bikes.
    >

    > Friend to me, over lunch, "I saved over a hundred dollars buying my daughter a bike at Wal-Mart.
    > You wouldn't believe how much they wanted for one that "looked the same" at George's [a good
    > bike shop]."
    >
    > [Three weeks later:] "CDB, I'm so proud of my daughter and her karate training! She was riding
    > fast down her first real trail when her brakes came loose, fell into the spokes and locked her
    > bike up. She flew off the bike, tumbled hard, but came up pretty much O.K."
    >
    > Paladin And there are so many more...

    I'll add one that happened a few days ago. Not the most amusing but certainly one that left me
    feeling like I'd just firmly put foot into mouth. Had a bit of time to kill so was wandering through
    a not so local LBS and got talking about the new Giant VT1 to the mechanic there. He had gotten one
    despite them not being available here for probably another 6 months. He was in raptures over this
    bike and tells me "You've got to check out the reviews on mtbr.com! They're great. It's a good site
    for reviews" "Yeah", says I, "but you've gotta take them with a grain of salt, don't you?. Too many
    reviews by 14yo dewds hucking too much sick air on bikes they've only seen in the LBS". "What?" he
    replies. "You know, young guys that don't know what they're talking about reviewing bikes they've
    only ever ridden around the carpark" "Oh..." he says. I decided to change the subject about then. I
    got the distinct feeling that if I'd continued this conversation that he was going tell me that he
    either regularly writes reviews or believes the reviews are the best ever written.
    --
    Westie

  6. Slash

    Slash Guest

    On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 22:26:45 -0400, "Captain Adventure" <[email protected]> scribbled:

    >hehe... here's another one...
    >
    >My neighbours kids are anxious to take up mountain biking - particularly since their friend's
    >parents bought THEIR kids a pair of bikes. Get this though... daddy spend 2500 on TWO bikes
    >(raleigh?????) that are total garbage. He might as well have bought "supercycles" (with
    >kickstands!). I told my neighbour that he COULD have gotten TWO REAL mountain bikes (norco or trek
    >hardtails - LX quality, and tough) for about 1800.
    >
    >The sum substance is that those bikes will last all of ONE ride on the trails here. I can't count
    >the number of wannabes I've seen walking their bikes home after just one run.
    >
    >As a side note, the bikes must weigh at least 50-60 pounds!

    I see what you're trying to say, but Raleigh's bikes are not that bad at all. If they were in the
    $1200 range, they're probably quite decent hardtails. And a shade lighter than 50 pounds, I
    should add. :)

    -Slash
    --
    "Ebert Victorious"

    - The Onion

  7. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > True Conversation Snippets:
    >
    > At a downtown diner, two stuffed-shirt bankers from Cleveland: "we flew in this morning, and
    > couldn't believe all the trails up in the mountains, what is this place, a hiker's paradise, or
    > something?" Close, but no cigar... We leave the diner together, and I enlighten the knaves as I
    > hop into my old pickup loaded with bikes.

    Cleveland...isn't that where a river burned?

    > Friend to me, over lunch, "I saved over a hundred dollars buying my daughter a bike at Wal-Mart.
    > You wouldn't believe how much they wanted for one that "looked the same" at George's [a good
    > bike shop]."

    It was shiny though.

    > [Three weeks later:] "CDB, I'm so proud of my daughter and her karate training! She was riding
    > fast down her first real trail when her brakes came loose, fell into the spokes and locked her
    > bike up. She flew off the bike, tumbled hard, but came up pretty much O.K."

    Shiny and muy peligroso.

    My recent fave is the dewd who was trying to tell me that a large frame Big Hit would fit me. He
    even used the "longer stem" angle, unsuccessfully of course.

    JD

  8. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "JD" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Cleveland...isn't that where a river burned?

    June 1969, among other times. The impetus for the Clean Water Act. The Cuyahoga is relatively clean
    now. At least no more 3 eyed fish.

    Pete