Conversation with a new bike owner

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tim S, Feb 28, 2003.

  1. Tim S

    Tim S Guest

    As I was leaving work at 6 this am, guy I know stops me (on his bike) "Hey Tim, what do you think
    of my new bike then?" (el-cheapo halfords full sus job) "They've forgotten something!" "Uh?" "Where
    are the lights?" "What do I need lights for?" I shake my head and watch him cycle off across the
    dark carpark

    Tim S

    Tags:

  2. Marc

    Marc Guest

    "Tim S" <[email protected]@zaphod987.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    > As I was leaving work at 6 this am, guy I know stops me (on his bike) "Hey Tim, what do you think
    > of my new bike then?" (el-cheapo halfords full sus job) "They've forgotten something!" "Uh?"
    > "Where are the lights?" "What do I need lights for?" I shake my head and watch him cycle off
    > across the dark carpark

    Worrying isn't it?

    Even MacDonalds train their staff to try and get the customer to trade up, it can't be that much
    harder to substitute "Do you want fries with that?" with "Would you like some lights fitted?"

  3. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Tim S <[email protected]@zaphod987.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As I was leaving work at 6 this am, guy I know stops me (on his bike) "Hey Tim, what do you think
    > of my new bike then?" (el-cheapo halfords full sus job) "They've forgotten something!" "Uh?"
    > "Where are the lights?" "What do I need lights for?" I shake my head and watch him cycle off
    > across the dark carpark
    >
    > Tim S

    So he went with the majority then.

    --
    Mark
    ______________________________________

    "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

  4. Bart

    Bart Guest

    Tim S wrote:

    > As I was leaving work at 6 this am, guy I know stops me (on his bike) "Hey Tim, what do you think
    > of my new bike then?" (el-cheapo halfords full sus job) "They've forgotten something!" "Uh?"
    > "Where are the lights?" "What do I need lights for?" I shake my head and watch him cycle off
    > across the dark carpark
    >
    > Tim S

    What really bugs me about this sort of thing is that UK law demands that the bike retailer must sell
    you a bike that has pedal and wheel reflectors on. Why don't they change the law to demand that you
    are sold a bike that has lights on as well?

  5. "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Tim S wrote:
    >
    > > As I was leaving work at 6 this am, guy I know stops me (on his bike) "Hey Tim, what do you
    > > think of my new bike then?" (el-cheapo halfords
    full
    > > sus job) "They've forgotten something!" "Uh?" "Where are the lights?" "What do I need lights
    > > for?" I shake my head and watch him cycle off across the dark carpark
    > >
    > > Tim S
    >
    > What really bugs me about this sort of thing is that UK law demands that
    the
    > bike retailer must sell you a bike that has pedal and wheel reflectors on. Why don't they change
    > the law to demand that you are sold a bike that has lights on as well?

    Why should they ? I'll bet less than 10% of bikes bought ever get ridden in the dark anyway. Last
    two bikes I've bought had no pedal or wheel reflectors either although IIRC one of them did have a
    rear reflector thingy in a plastic bag with the owners manual, probably still there.

    Russ

  6. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    Bart wrote:

    > What really bugs me about this sort of thing is that UK law demands that the bike retailer must
    > sell you a bike that has pedal and wheel reflectors on. Why don't they change the law to demand
    > that you are sold a bike that has lights on as well?

    The problem is that lights are the sort of thing you have one or two sets of, and swap them between
    bikes. Also they are quite a personal thing, just like pedals, which is why bikes often come with
    no pedals.

    I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't want to pay for another set of lights if I
    buy a bike.

    For the people who buy a halfords special and ride it into the ground without ever touching it,
    preinstalled lights would be good, yes.

    --

    -Alex

    ----------------------------------
    [email protected]

    http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
    ----------------------------------

  7. Al Ford

    Al Ford Guest

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Tim S <[email protected]@zaphod987.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > As I was leaving work at 6 this am, guy I know stops me (on his bike) "Hey Tim, what do you
    > > think of my new bike then?" (el-cheapo halfords full sus job) "They've forgotten something!"
    > > "Uh?" "Where are the lights?" "What do I need lights for?" I shake my head and watch him cycle
    > > off across the dark carpark
    > >
    > > Tim S
    > >

    > So he went with the majority then.

    Every member of Halfords staff is instructed to offer the customer the full package of accessories
    required for safe and efficient cycling. But to give you an idea, my store had a hit rate of 46% for
    selling accessories with bikes. The vast majority of customers just think bike, bugger the
    accessories.

    When I say my store, it was till I left at 8pm tonight. Bye

  8. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, russell pinder
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Last two bikes I've bought had no pedal or wheel reflectors either although IIRC one of them did
    > have a rear reflector thingy in a plastic bag with the owners manual, probably still there.

    All of the bikes which I buy come with pedals with reflectors, front and rear reflectors and wheel
    reflectors. I sell them with these items fitted.

    If the customer chooses to remove them as soon as the bike is out of the shop I cannot interfere.
    However it is in the interests of the cyclist who uses a bike with centre pull brakes to leave the
    front and rear reflectors since the bracket which attaches them to the bike frame is also a safety
    feature/necessity if the brake cable breaks.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

  9. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Bart <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What really bugs me about this sort of thing is that UK law demands that the bike retailer must
    > sell you a bike that has pedal and wheel reflectors on. Why don't they change the law to demand
    > that you are sold a bike that has lights on as well?

    To quote the DfT

    "In 1998, a consultation exercise was completed on proposals concerning the fitment of bells and
    lights on pedal cycles. The responses indicated that a strong enough case existed to justify
    introducing legislation to require the mandatory fitting of a bell on all new pedal cycles at the
    point of sale.

    The results of the consultation indicated that requiring all cycles in use to be fitted with a bell
    was considered to be impractical and unenforceable. We are therefore not now considering this option

    There was also found to be insufficient justification for mandatory fitment of lights to all cycles
    as many are never used after dark and, if they are, they are already covered by existing
    legislation."

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  10. Tim S

    Tim S Guest

    "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Tim S wrote:
    >
    > > As I was leaving work at 6 this am, guy I know stops me (on his bike) "Hey Tim, what do you
    > > think of my new bike then?" (el-cheapo halfords
    full
    > > sus job) "They've forgotten something!" "Uh?" "Where are the lights?" "What do I need lights
    > > for?" I shake my head and watch him cycle off across the dark carpark
    > >
    > > Tim S
    >
    > What really bugs me about this sort of thing is that UK law demands that
    the
    > bike retailer must sell you a bike that has pedal and wheel reflectors on. Why don't they change
    > the law to demand that you are sold a bike that has lights on as well?

    Wouldn't make any difference, the bloke in questions last bike had lights on it for a month. Turned
    out that the batteries had gone flat, then leaked and fouled the contacts, rather than clean them he
    just binned the lights. You can make a law to sell lights, but you can't make people use them
    (alas). The above was 4 years ago, so I guess he's just lucky. I know if I was to try it I'd be
    punted off inside of a month.

    Tim S

  11. "Sandy Morton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, russell pinder
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Last two bikes I've bought had no pedal or wheel reflectors either although IIRC one of them did
    > > have a rear reflector thingy in a plastic bag with the owners manual, probably still there.
    >
    > All of the bikes which I buy come with pedals with reflectors, front and rear reflectors and wheel
    > reflectors. I sell them with these items
    fitted.

    > If the customer chooses to remove them as soon as the bike is out of the shop I cannot interfere.
    > However it is in the interests of the cyclist who uses a bike with centre pull brakes to leave the
    > front and rear reflectors since the bracket which attaches them to the bike frame is also a safety
    > feature/necessity if the brake cable breaks.

    Can you still buy bikes with canti (centre pull) brakes ? Even my 6 year olds cheapo raleigh 20"
    wheel 5 speed bike came with V brakes. That did have (and still has) the requisite reflectors
    though. I have an old pseudo mtb with canti's and on the very odd occasion I ride it it just feels
    like there's no brakes there once you're used to hydraulic discs.

    Guess you just don't sell the sort of bikes I'd buy (for myself).

    Russ

  12. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Al Ford <[email protected]> wrote:

    > When I say my store, it was till I left at 8pm tonight.

    And now, the dirt????

  13. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Tim S" <[email protected]@zaphod987.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Wouldn't make any difference, the bloke in questions last bike had lights
    on
    > it for a month. Turned out that the batteries had gone flat, then leaked
    and
    > fouled the contacts, rather than clean them he just binned the lights. You can make a law to sell
    > lights, but you can't make people use them (alas). The above was 4 years ago, so I guess he's just
    > lucky. I know if I was to try it I'd be punted off inside of a month.

    He's just a knob-head.

    Pete

  14. Frank

    Frank Guest

    "Tim S" <[email protected]@zaphod987.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As I was leaving work at 6 this am, guy I know stops me (on his bike) "Hey Tim, what do you think
    > of my new bike then?" (el-cheapo halfords full sus job) "They've forgotten something!" "Uh?"
    > "Where are the lights?" "What do I need lights for?" I shake my head and watch him cycle off
    > across the dark carpark

    I think wearing reflective clothing/fluorescent jacket is more important than wearing lights in a
    city or town.

  15. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I think wearing reflective clothing/fluorescent jacket is more important than wearing lights in a
    > city or town.

    Probably true -- but lights are a legal requirement and not having them

    1. gives cagers an excuse to moan
    2. may reduce any compensation/insurance pay out if injured
    3. is pretty stupid given how small & convenient modern lights are.

  16. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Frank <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I think wearing reflective clothing/fluorescent jacket is more important than wearing lights in a
    > city or town.

    They are only any use if you are in the headlights of a car. If you are approaching from the side
    (car pulling out from side road) or behind (overtaking queued or parked cars) they provide no
    visibility. Lights do.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  17. [email protected] schreef ...

    > Even MacDonalds train their staff to try and get the customer to trade up, it can't be that much
    > harder to substitute "Do you want fries with that?" with "Would you like some lights fitted?"

    "Even" McDonalds? They about *invented* this trick :)

    --
    Regards, Marten

  18. Frank

    Frank Guest

    > Frank <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > I think wearing reflective clothing/fluorescent jacket is more important than wearing lights in
    > > a city or town.
    >
    > They are only any use if you are in the headlights of a car. If you are approaching from the side
    > (car pulling out from side road) or behind (overtaking queued or parked cars) they provide no
    > visibility. Lights do.
    >
    > Tony

    I'm not even sure that is true, streets are lit and a good jacket does provide good visibility where
    as a light can be confused with a number of light sources in the city. A jacket is less hard to
    mistake, I remember one person suggesting shining a light back onto a jacket would be a good idea.

    I do have lights but the difference between wearing a fluorescent yellow top and not is huge.

  19. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Frank <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm not even sure that is true, streets are lit and a good jacket does provide good visibility
    > where as a light can be confused with a number of light sources in the city. A jacket is less
    > hard to mistake, I remember one person suggesting shining a light back onto a jacket would be a
    > good idea.

    I've seen it done but its only really any use on unlit roads and then it has to have a very good
    beam cut off not to shine in your eyes.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  20. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Frank <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm not even sure that is true, streets are lit and a good jacket does provide good visibility
    > where as a light can be confused with a number of light sources in the city. A jacket is less
    > hard to mistake, I remember one person suggesting shining a light back onto a jacket would be a
    > good idea.

    Not really much use, because they jackets are not "reflective" but retro-reflective, they reflect
    light back at the angle that it arrives, so unless the driver was on the same plane as the lamp he
    woudn't see the reflective bit.

    > I do have lights but the difference between wearing a fluorescent yellow top and not is huge.

    Bollox, there isn't enough UV in car lights,streets lights, or bike lamps to make the fluorescent
    yellow top fluoresce ,you would have the same effect with a simple non-fluorescent yellow top. That
    is if there is any effect whatsoever that isn't a placebo.