Conversation with a new bike owner

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tim S, Feb 28, 2003.

  1. Frank

    Frank Guest

    "Marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Frank <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm not even sure that is true, streets are lit and a good jacket does provide good visibility
    > > where as a light can be confused with a number
    of
    > > light sources in the city. A jacket is less hard to mistake, I remember
    one
    > > person suggesting shining a light back onto a jacket would be a good
    idea.

    > Not really much use, because they jackets are not "reflective" but retro-reflective, they reflect
    > light back at the angle that it arrives, so unless the driver was on the same plane as the lamp he
    > woudn't see the reflective bit.
    > >
    > > I do have lights but the difference between wearing a fluorescent yellow
    top
    > > and not is huge.
    >
    > Bollox, there isn't enough UV in car lights,streets lights, or bike lamps to make the fluorescent
    > yellow top fluoresce ,you would have the same effect with a simple non-fluorescent yellow top.
    > That is if there is any effect whatsoever that isn't a placebo.

    I meant as opposed to a dark top, rather than as opposed to non fluorescent yellow. ( e.g. didn't
    mean to over emphasise the fluorescent benefits)

  2. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Bart wrote:

    > What really bugs me about this sort of thing is that UK law demands that the bike retailer must
    > sell you a bike that has pedal and wheel reflectors on. Why don't they change the law to demand
    > that you are sold a bike that has lights on as well?

    Because I already have a full set of (expensive) lights on my old bike, and I transfer them to my
    new bike. Not having the ability to ride two bikes simultaneously....

    R.