Conversation with sons about sports- WARNING - LONG

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

>Dodgeball isn't even a contact sport. What are they using for balls in
>your school? Baseballs?

Now THAT would help undo some of the wussification!

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> But I _loved_ dodgeball. It was fun! Injuries? I don't know what
> injuries you're thinking of, but at all the schools I attended we used
> standard Voit rubber balls, which were soft, elastic, and pretty
> low-pressure. You could get yourself way, way more messed up playing
> soccer (or field lacrosse, another gym activity we did) than you could
> when someone hit you with a dodgeball.
>
> Dodgeball isn't even a contact sport. What are they using for balls in
> your school? Baseballs?

My experience was at church, instead of school, which is relevant
because we played with everybody from elementary school up through
junior high school age. I remember hitting a few kids with those rubber
balls when I was 13-14 (upper end of the age range). Threw the ball
like they were 13-14-year-old dodgers, when they were only 6-8; knocked
a few down, hit one on the feet and upended her.

Yeah, I felt bad about it. Yeah, it wasn't quite a contact sport. But
it was probably more dangerous in that context than single-age red rover
games.

Pat

Pat Lamb wrote:
> My experience was at church, instead of school, which is relevant
> because we played with everybody from elementary school up through
> junior high school age. I remember hitting a few kids with those

rubber
> balls when I was 13-14 (upper end of the age range). Threw the ball
> like they were 13-14-year-old dodgers, when they were only 6-8;

knocked
> a few down, hit one on the feet and upended her.
>
> Yeah, I felt bad about it. Yeah, it wasn't quite a contact sport.

But
> it was probably more dangerous in that context than single-age red

rover
> games.
>
> Pat

That brings back a memory. I ran a youth group at church. My own kids
were in it and about 20 church kids. Junior High and High School. The
male youth advisors used to play some killer game with the kids using a
soccer ball as I remember. I forget the name of the game but it was a
pretty hard core dodge ball game. They loved it.

Whenever we would have meetings they wanted to end by playing this
game. I never really thought much about it. It was ten times worse
than dodge ball in school. The kids were pretty rugged and no one ever
got hurt. I know the game had a name but that was a long time ago. I
forget.

Now, this was not a mandatory thing for our Christian youth group, and
they would beg to play. In fact the only way to get them to do the
things that had to be done for the church was to reward them with a few
rounds of this game. Even I participated. Maybe I live in a different
world then the rest of you, but the more I think of it the more I
realize how many kids actually do love that kind of game.

Our church group had alot of activity, alot of it rough.

We played alot of Volleyball....Now, Volleyball I would imagine is
considered safer than any type of dodge ball, but I was 40 years old
and two of the kids and one advisor fell on top of me and broke my rib.
BAN VOLLEYBALL.

Maggie

The Shia
: > are gaining control of Iraq through the ballot box. They don't need to
: have
: > an insurgency because all they need to do is....wait.
: > I am afraid you are the one who doesn't have a clue.
:
: Sigh....just exactly who do you think Al Qaeda, Islamic Jihad, and the
other
: terrorist groups are? Shi'a, that's who. They are the ones in Saudi, they
: are the ones in Iran. The Iraq/Iran war was fought to keep the Islamic
: fundamentalist Shi'a from taking over Iraq. Now we're going to hand it
over,
: and give Iraq's huge oil reserves TO THE TERRORISTS. Nice. Smart.
: Unbelievable.
:
I see that you obviously know more than everyone else. You haven't heard of
the Baath party and its Sunni adherents and you totally ignore their part in
this insurgency. And, it is apparent that you do not believe in
representative democracy. Why didn't you just say that in the first place,
so we'd know where you were coming from?

Pat in TX
:

Gooserider wrote:

> Err, we haven't exactly achieved victory in Iraq, and Afghanistan is

just a
> tick away from chaos. But , the Afghans beat the British and the

Russians,
> and the Arabs have been repelling the infidel forever, so it's not
> surprising.

It's amazing how these threads evolve. What was the original question?
Maggie

On 13 Apr 2005 03:10:58 -0700, Maggie wrote:

> Pat wrote:
> There were multiple balls and they were thrown hard. People would get
>> hit in the face and knocked down, those balls were so hard and thrown

> so
>> fast. The little kids looked like deer in the crosshairs, and some

> kids
>> would cry. Oh, a kid could dodge one ball, but he would get hit by

> the other
>> three or four coming his way at the same time.
>>
>> Pat in TX

> That must have been TEXAS DODGEBALL....because it sure wasn't Jersey
> Dodgeball. We had two teams, one ball (which was not hard as a rock)
> and a gym teacher standing there... watching the game.
>
> Maybe Dodgeball was just a game in my school whereas in other schools
> it is akin to a torture chamber.

I played in NJ we did it with 5 red 12" rubber balls. The best I could
do was avoid 4 at once but never all 5. Usually there weren't 5 good
throwing arms on one team so that wasn't a problem.

As far as bullies were concerned it was the one place where I could
**** them off and not worry about getting beaten up. After a while
they'd give up on trying to hit me as it made them look like a
fool. Also while they were busy trying to hit me our guys were busy
hitting them. I made for a great distraction. Few bullies ever really
figured that out.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)

Mark Hickey wrote:
> Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Dodgeball isn't even a contact sport. What are they using for balls

in
> >your school? Baseballs?

> Now THAT would help undo some of the wussification!
>
> Mark Hickey

>From some of these posts, I think some people were being hit by bowling

balls instead of the volley ball I was using. Maybe we could get one of
those smooshy balls that toddlers play with and put them in the
schools. That way you can throw the ball and no one feels threatened.
Yet you still get to run around an enjoy the game. Smoosh Ball. Yes,
replace Dodge ball with Smoosh ball.
Maggie
PS. I have a headache from thinking about dodge ball. If I got up and
played a game now, I would feel better. I think I will just go play
pool. Unless someone might hit me with a pool cue. IS THERE NO PLACE
IN THIS WORLD WHERE YOU CAN BE SAFE????? ;-0
Have a great lunch if you are EST.
Love and Stuff
Maggie.

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The Shia
> : > are gaining control of Iraq through the ballot box. They don't need

> : have
> : > an insurgency because all they need to do is....wait.
> : > I am afraid you are the one who doesn't have a clue.
> :
> : Sigh....just exactly who do you think Al Qaeda, Islamic Jihad, and the
> other
> : terrorist groups are? Shi'a, that's who. They are the ones in Saudi,

they
> : are the ones in Iran. The Iraq/Iran war was fought to keep the Islamic
> : fundamentalist Shi'a from taking over Iraq. Now we're going to hand it
> over,
> : and give Iraq's huge oil reserves TO THE TERRORISTS. Nice. Smart.
> : Unbelievable.
> :
> I see that you obviously know more than everyone else. You haven't heard

of
> the Baath party and its Sunni adherents and you totally ignore their part

in
> this insurgency. And, it is apparent that you do not believe in
> representative democracy. Why didn't you just say that in the first place,
> so we'd know where you were coming from?

The Sunni are less than 10 percent of the population of Iraq. We had NO
problem whatsoever supporting Saddam in his war against the fundamentalists
in Iran, did we? Nope. We sold him weapons and gave him our blessing. Now,
when we have been attacked by RADICAL FUNDAMENTALIST MUSLIMS, we depose the
guy who stood fast against the fundamentalists. Unbelievable. Do you know
that under Saddam, women were allowed to go to college, hold important jobs
both in the private sector and in the government, and that members of
religions other than Islam were treated fairly? Tariq Aziz is a Christian,
and there was a small Jewish population in Iraq for many years under Saddam.
When the country finally goes over to the radical Shi'a, an Ayatollah or
whacked out mullah will become the ruler, and the country will devolve, just
like Iran. It is not in our interest to give the country to the supporters
of al Sadr or bin Laden, but that's exactly what's going to happen. Do you
really think they'll have a representative democracy then? Not if you're a
woman, Christian, or Sunni Muslim. I really don't think you have a clue
about the region.

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:01:49 -0500, Neil Cherry <[email protected]> wrote:

>> That must have been TEXAS DODGEBALL....because it sure wasn't Jersey
>> Dodgeball. We had two teams, one ball (which was not hard as a rock)
>> and a gym teacher standing there... watching the game.
>>
>> Maybe Dodgeball was just a game in my school whereas in other schools
>> it is akin to a torture chamber.

>I played in NJ we did it with 5 red 12" rubber balls. The best I could
>do was avoid 4 at once but never all 5. Usually there weren't 5 good
>throwing arms on one team so that wasn't a problem.

We played Dodgeball with ill-tempered sea bass...oh, and old German
sea-mines. Especially if they had oxide formation in the fuse area - those
were favorites.

jj.

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:21:35 -0400, jj wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:01:49 -0500, Neil Cherry <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> That must have been TEXAS DODGEBALL....because it sure wasn't Jersey
>>> Dodgeball. We had two teams, one ball (which was not hard as a rock)
>>> and a gym teacher standing there... watching the game.
>>>
>>> Maybe Dodgeball was just a game in my school whereas in other schools
>>> it is akin to a torture chamber.

>>I played in NJ we did it with 5 red 12" rubber balls. The best I could
>>do was avoid 4 at once but never all 5. Usually there weren't 5 good
>>throwing arms on one team so that wasn't a problem.

> We played Dodgeball with ill-tempered sea bass...oh, and old German
> sea-mines. Especially if they had oxide formation in the fuse area - those
> were favorites.

Stop, you made milk come out my nose! ;-)

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
http://hcs.sourceforge.net/ (HCS II)
http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog

: The Sunni are less than 10 percent of the population of Iraq. We had NO
: problem whatsoever supporting Saddam in his war against the
fundamentalists
: in Iran, did we? Nope. We sold him weapons and gave him our blessing.

The world has changed since the 1980's, I do believe.

Now,
: when we have been attacked by RADICAL FUNDAMENTALIST MUSLIMS, we depose
the
: guy who stood fast against the fundamentalists. Unbelievable.

Whethere we should or should not have, what's done is done. It is
interesting that you think Sadaam is so admirable.

Do you know
: that under Saddam, women were allowed to go to college, hold important
jobs
: both in the private sector and in the government, and that members of
: religions other than Islam were treated fairly? Tariq Aziz is a Christian,
: and there was a small Jewish population in Iraq for many years under
Saddam.

And people were gassed en masse, and tortured, and starved and killed on
Sadaam's and his sons' whims.... But, by damn, Tariq Aziz is a nominal
Christian, so that makes it all okay, I suppose.

: When the country finally goes over to the radical Shi'a, an Ayatollah or
: whacked out mullah will become the ruler, and the country will devolve,
just
: like Iran.

IF we believe in a democracy and give them the vote of "one man one vote",
then we have to relinquish total control. That's what I mean by
representative democracy, and it's happening. Whether the country "devolves"
remains to be seen.

It is not in our interest to give the country to the supporters
: of al Sadr or bin Laden, but that's exactly what's going to happen. Do you
: really think they'll have a representative democracy then? Not if you're a
: woman, Christian, or Sunni Muslim. I really don't think you have a clue
: about the region.

You seem to be living in the past, in the good ole 1980's when we just
supported whatever tyrant we wished so long as the oil kept coming. Times
have changed and you can't hold back the future. We are "giving back" the co
untry to the Iraqi people. You don't know that bin Laden or al Sadr will
rule. You just don't know that---and you are underestimating the vast
population of Iraqis who want a democracy and who are tired of war and
insurgents and radical Islamists. Your "clue about the region" seems to me
to be hopelessly mired in the past with no clue about what is happening
there now.

Pat in TX
:
:

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> : The Sunni are less than 10 percent of the population of Iraq. We had NO
> : problem whatsoever supporting Saddam in his war against the
> fundamentalists
> : in Iran, did we? Nope. We sold him weapons and gave him our blessing.
>
> The world has changed since the 1980's, I do believe.

Yes, now we have heavily armed, well financed, and well trained
fundamentalist Muslim terror groups who like to fly jumbo jets into
skyscrapers. You're right.

> Now,
> : when we have been attacked by RADICAL FUNDAMENTALIST MUSLIMS, we depose
> the
> : guy who stood fast against the fundamentalists. Unbelievable.
>
> Whethere we should or should not have, what's done is done. It is
> interesting that you think Sadaam is so admirable.

If you are a Christian, a woman, or a non-Shi'a Muslim, you would probably
rather live under Saddam than al Sadr or an Ayatollah. How do public
beheadings, stonings for adultery, no school except for Koran school, and no
freedom whatsoever strike you? Ask the Afghans what it's like to live in a
Muslim theocracy and get back to me. Saddam was a tyrant, but he kept the
fundamentalists at bay and actually built Iraq into a functioning society
for the first time since it was Mesopotamia. Before Saddam, Iraq was ruled
by a series of tribal chieftins who seized control in military coups. Study
your history, Pat.

> Do you know
> : that under Saddam, women were allowed to go to college, hold important
> jobs
> : both in the private sector and in the government, and that members of
> : religions other than Islam were treated fairly? Tariq Aziz is a

Christian,
> : and there was a small Jewish population in Iraq for many years under
> Saddam.
>
> And people were gassed en masse, and tortured, and starved and killed on
> Sadaam's and his sons' whims.... But, by damn, Tariq Aziz is a nominal
> Christian, so that makes it all okay, I suppose.

And in Iran the Shi'a stone women for adultery, execute homosexuals,
persecute Christians and Jews, beat children, and so on. Oh, wait, that's
how it is in all countries ruled by the fundamentalists. Not good to be
anything but a devout Muslim there, and if you're not devout enough it's a
beheading for you.

> : When the country finally goes over to the radical Shi'a, an Ayatollah or
> : whacked out mullah will become the ruler, and the country will devolve,
> just
> : like Iran.
>
> IF we believe in a democracy and give them the vote of "one man one vote",
> then we have to relinquish total control. That's what I mean by
> representative democracy, and it's happening. Whether the country

"devolves"
> remains to be seen.

We don't give a **** about "democracy". We have a communist dictatorship 90
miles from our shores, and we do nothing. Castro has killed more people than
cancer, and tortured people as badly or worse than Saddam, but Cuba doesn't
have oil, and we're not going to invade for cigars and rum.

> You seem to be living in the past, in the good ole 1980's when we just
> supported whatever tyrant we wished so long as the oil kept coming.

Uh, why support the tyrant when we can just take the oil? We also have no
problem supporting the House of Saud, who are as tyrannial and crooked as
the day is long. We still do business with IRAN, you know. Halliburton has
been doing business there for years, through its foreign subsidiaries.

Times
> have changed and you can't hold back the future. We are "giving back" the

co
> untry to the Iraqi people.

But I guess you just say to hell with the Sunni, Kurdish, or Christian
minority, right? You can't be naive enough to not know what happens to the
minority in a theocracy.

You don't know that bin Laden or al Sadr will
> rule.

Of course they will. The Sunnis and Kurds don't have enough votes to
overcome the huge majority the Shi'a have. The Shi'a Iraqis will vote for
whomever the mullahs tell them to, and al Sadr is very very popular. The
longer the occupation lasts, the more likely a radical leader is. But feel
free that Iraq will be the only "representative democracy" in the region,
until the mullahs decide women can't vote anymore.

You just don't know that---and you are underestimating the vast
> population of Iraqis who want a democracy and who are tired of war and
> insurgents and radical Islamists. Your "clue about the region" seems to

me
> to be hopelessly mired in the past with no clue about what is happening
> there now.

You mean the Sunnis? The Sunni are the ones who resisted the radicals. The
Shi'a believe that Islamic Law is the only way to go. You really don't have
a clue. I guess THESE Shi'a will be somehow different than all the other
fundamentalists in the Muslim world, right? Unbelievable.

The vast majority of Iraqis are Shi'a Muslim. They believe that the only law
is Islam, therefore they will elect people with the same belief. You're
naive if you believe otherwise.

Mark Hickey wrote:
> "Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Just thought I would change the name of the thread.

> Great.
>
> Good job.
>
> What thread?

I don't know, I forgot. ;-)

All I know is....IT'S FRIDAY AND IT IS GOING TO BE A GORGEOUS WEEKEND
IN JERSEY.

I am running out of time to prepare for my March of Dimes walk, and my
Bike thing in May. I better get my ass moving.

Hey, Maggie Mae is playing on the radio. It's Friday and I am listening
to Rod Stewart. How much better can this work day get?

Maggie.... All I do is wreck your bed and in the morning kick you in
the head. ;-)