Conversion from 27" wheels to 700c

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by fid, Jun 17, 2003.

  1. fid

    fid New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2003
    I'm considering converting my old road bike from 27" wheels to 700c (Because I just busted the front rim and can't seem to get a hold a of a good quality 27" 1/4 rim - ie. double / triple wall 36 hole with eyelets).

    Can anyone point me in the direction of an archive or article on the issues involved in making this conversion - apart from just the reach of the brake calipers. I'm really interested to know if I run the risk of stuffing up the predictable / neutral handling I currently enjoy with my current 27" wheels.

    I'm sure other people have been through this - I tried searching the forum archives but couldn't find a thread on this issue.

    All thoughts appreciated.

    Best Regards
    Rob.

    Tags:

    We've got 'em, see: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/rims.html

    > Can anyone point me in the direction of an archive or article on the issues involved in making
    > this conversion - apart from just the reach of the brake calipers.

    That's it basically. You need to lower the brake shoes by 4 mm.

    The only other issue is bottom bracket height/pedal clearance, but this is unlikey to be a problem
    in practice.

    > I'm really interested to know if I run the risk of stuffing up the predictable / neutral handling
    > I currently enjoy with my current 27" wheels.

    I've never noticed any handling difference, even mixing sizes on the same bike.

    Sheldon "Don't Overanalyze It" Brown +--------------------------------------------+
    | Never worry about theory as long as the | machinery does what it's supposed to do. | --Robert A.
    | Heinlein |
    +--------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone