Conversion from 27" wheels to 700c

fid

New Member
Jun 7, 2003
I'm considering converting my old road bike from 27" wheels to 700c (Because I just busted the front rim and can't seem to get a hold a of a good quality 27" 1/4 rim - ie. double / triple wall 36 hole with eyelets).

Can anyone point me in the direction of an archive or article on the issues involved in making this conversion - apart from just the reach of the brake calipers. I'm really interested to know if I run the risk of stuffing up the predictable / neutral handling I currently enjoy with my current 27" wheels.

I'm sure other people have been through this - I tried searching the forum archives but couldn't find a thread on this issue.

All thoughts appreciated.

Best Regards
Rob.

We've got 'em, see: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/rims.html

> Can anyone point me in the direction of an archive or article on the issues involved in making
> this conversion - apart from just the reach of the brake calipers.

That's it basically. You need to lower the brake shoes by 4 mm.

The only other issue is bottom bracket height/pedal clearance, but this is unlikey to be a problem
in practice.

> I'm really interested to know if I run the risk of stuffing up the predictable / neutral handling
> I currently enjoy with my current 27" wheels.

I've never noticed any handling difference, even mixing sizes on the same bike.

Sheldon "Don't Overanalyze It" Brown +--------------------------------------------+
| Never worry about theory as long as the | machinery does what it's supposed to do. | --Robert A.
| Heinlein |
+--------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone