Convert 105 STI double to triple?

James Lodberg

Guest
Howdy,

I'm planning on getting a triple crank for my road/touring bike. Is it possible to upgrade my
double/8-spd 105 STI levers to work with the triple, without having to replace the whole lever?

The STI levers are the old roundy-style ones from the mid ninties, not the new pointy flight
deck ones.

Cheers, James

>Howdy, I'm planning on getting a triple crank for my road/touring bike. Is it possible to upgrade
>my double/8-spd 105 STI levers to work with the triple, without having to replace the whole lever?
>
>The STI levers are the old roundy-style ones from the mid ninties, not the new pointy flight
>deck ones.

There was a company (Erickson?) that made a device that grafted onto your cable that did what you
want. Since Shimano decided to come out with triple STI levers, there has not been a lot of deman
for these type of devices.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

[email protected] (James Lodberg) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Howdy,
>
> I'm planning on getting a triple crank for my road/touring bike. Is it possible to upgrade my
> double/8-spd 105 STI levers to work with the triple, without having to replace the whole lever?
>
> The STI levers are the old roundy-style ones from the mid ninties, not the new pointy flight
> deck ones.
>
> Cheers, James

There was a gadget made that you put in-line with the cable, it was like a little lever by the brake
hood: it had two positions, one for low middle, the other for middle/high. I forget the name of the
gizmo, you might still find one, Quality Bike Parts might still carry
it.

With the low price for 105 triple levers, expecially a ta discount, I'd consider upgrading to a new
9 speed setup instead.

max-<< With the low price for 105 triple levers, expecially a ta discount, I'd consider upgrading to
a new 9 speed setup instead. >><BR><BR>

???

These are expensve, almost what Chorus cost-almost-

> [email protected] (James Lodberg) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I'm planning on getting a triple crank for my road/touring bike. Is it possible to upgrade my
> > double/8-spd 105 STI levers to work with the triple, without having to replace the whole lever?
[snip]

[email protected] wrote:
> There was a gadget made that you put in-line with the cable, it was like a little lever by the
> brake hood: it had two positions, one for low middle, the other for middle/high. I forget the name
> of the gizmo, you might still find one, Quality Bike Parts might still carry
> it.

What I really want to do is keep the levers I have now, and just swap the necessary internal parts
in my levers with the appropriate ones from a triple (ratchet, springs, spacers, etc). Maybe the
RSX levers are the same inside and I could take parts from one of them? Has anyone tried anything
like this?

I am curious about the gizmo you mention. What is Quality Bike Parts? An Internet search isn't so
helpful in this case, cos of course everyone sells quality bike parts! Do they have a website?

> With the low price for 105 triple levers, expecially a ta discount, I'd consider upgrading to a
> new 9 speed setup instead.

I would definitely consider this if I hadn't just bought the double/8spd levers used last month due
to them being a *lot* cheaper than new ones!

-James

On 22 Aug 2003 01:10:44 -0700, [email protected] (James Lodberg) wrote:

>Howdy,
>
>I'm planning on getting a triple crank for my road/touring bike. Is it possible to upgrade my
>double/8-spd 105 STI levers to work with the triple, without having to replace the whole lever?
>
>The STI levers are the old roundy-style ones from the mid ninties, not the new pointy flight
>deck ones.

You are about to spend a lot of money for shifters, crankset, bottom bracket, and derailleurs. You
will also likely be getting a 9sp system. You can search for a device called a "Gizmo" that will
permit you to use your shifters with the triple crank.

Consider getting a MTB long cage rear derailleur and a wide range cassettte with a 32 or 34t cog.

[email protected] (James Lodberg) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (James Lodberg) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Howdy,
> > >
> > > I'm planning on getting a triple crank for my road/touring bike. Is it possible to upgrade my
> > > double/8-spd 105 STI levers to work with the triple, without having to replace the whole
> > > lever?
> [snip]
>
> [email protected] wrote:
> > There was a gadget made that you put in-line with the cable, it was like a little lever by the
> > brake hood: it had two positions, one for low middle, the other for middle/high. I forget the
> > name of the gizmo, you might still find one, Quality Bike Parts might still carry
> > it.
>
> What I really want to do is keep the levers I have now, and just swap the necessary internal parts
> in my levers with the appropriate ones from a triple (ratchet, springs, spacers, etc). Maybe the
> RSX levers are the same inside and I could take parts from one of them? Has anyone tried anything
> like this?

I doubt it. In fact, I bet no one has. Why? unlike Campy, you can't take apart an STI lever. Here's
a couple of links to probably the closest I've ever seen anyone take one apart. However, neither one
"converted" a double to triple. Now, if you had Campy ergo levers, no problem using either....

try here for links on taking apart STI levers:

Steve Alkire's 105/8spd disassembly/assembly
http://www.cyclingforum.com/features/downloads/STIdisDetail.doc

Bill Cotton's STI repair: http://www.billcotton.com/sti_shifter_repair.htm

> I am curious about the gizmo you mention. What is Quality Bike Parts? An Internet search isn't so
> helpful in this case, cos of course everyone sells quality bike parts! Do they have a website?

You can go to Shimano Europe website for "parts" and even an expose view of the shifters. However,
neither Shimano USA nor any US distributors/importer has these parts. Good Luck finding them....

> > With the low price for 105 triple levers, expecially a ta discount, I'd consider upgrading to a
> > new 9 speed setup instead.
>
> I would definitely consider this if I hadn't just bought the double/8spd levers used last month
> due to them being a *lot* cheaper than new ones!

If you really wanted a triple, then buying that double/8spd STI lever probably wasn't as much of a
bargain as you thought as if you really want a triple, you will end up buying a STI triple
shifter.....

[email protected] (James Lodberg) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> What I really want to do is keep the levers I have now, and just swap the necessary internal parts
> in my levers with the appropriate ones from a triple (ratchet, springs, spacers, etc). Maybe the
> RSX levers are the same inside and I could take parts from one of them? Has anyone tried anything
> like this?
>
>..... if you have 7 speed RSX levers,just use the left one.It
shifts a double or a triple and will work with the 105 triple derailer. Replacing the levers and
guts of the shifters is probably possible,but more trouble than it's worth,and it sure helps to have
the assembly instructions.

> > What I really want to do is keep the levers I have now, and just swap the necessary internal
> > parts in my levers with the appropriate ones from a triple (ratchet, springs, spacers, etc).
> > Maybe the RSX levers are the same inside and I could take parts from one of them? Has anyone
> > tried anything like this?
> >
> I doubt it. In fact, I bet no one has. Why? unlike Campy, you can't take apart an STI lever.
> Here's a couple of links to probably the closest I've ever seen anyone take one apart. However,
> neither one "converted" a double to triple. Now, if you had Campy ergo levers, no problem using
> either....
>
>..........well, actually, the whole lever,internal mechanism is/was
sold as a complete unit thru QBP. That being said,the whole business from an RSX shifter would
likely go into a 105 housing,which looks identical.But,why bother ...just use the RSX feft if a
person has one.

"James Lodberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Howdy,
>
> I'm planning on getting a triple crank for my road/touring
bike. Is it
> possible to upgrade my double/8-spd 105 STI levers to work
with the
> triple, without having to replace the whole lever?
>
> The STI levers are the old roundy-style ones from the mid
ninties, not
> the new pointy flight deck ones.
>
> Cheers, James

You'll need a replacement triple left lever for the old style ST-1055 eight speed. Try a post on
rec.bicycles.marketplace - I was in the same situation, and was lucky enough to pick up a battered
left triple ST-1055-T which I could repaint and mount on the bracket from the double lever.

I took a look at the RSX's I have - they seem to be superficially similar to the eight speed 105's.
(This is heresy, but it's my contention that there's no real difference between current Ultegra,
105, or Tiagra, apart from the nameplates, and that was probably true of RSX, RX-100, and eight
speed 105 too....). But the nameplate caps may not fit.

You'd probably be better off trying to find a set of triple eight speed 105's or RSX's or RX-100's
on eBay, and resell what you have. Or go nine speed while you're at it. Or decide to stay with a
double and maybe switch the crankset/cassette to get the gears you need. I recently put some 34-50
chainrings on an old bike with a 13-28 freewheel - about the same low gear as a 30T 'granny' and a
25T largest rear sprocket, and the simplicity of a double.

"James Lodberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Howdy,
>
> I'm planning on getting a triple crank for my road/touring
bike. Is it
> possible to upgrade my double/8-spd 105 STI levers to work
with the
> triple, without having to replace the whole lever?
>
> The STI levers are the old roundy-style ones from the mid
ninties, not
> the new pointy flight deck ones.
>
> Cheers, James

If these are ST-1055's - no - they were made in double and triple (ST-1055-T) versions - see here...

http://bernd.sluka.de/Fahrrad/Shimano/TM/ST-1055_1996.gif

It's in German, but fairly simple to interpret.....

"J. Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > > What I really want to do is keep the levers I have now, and just swap the necessary internal
> > > parts in my levers with the appropriate ones from a triple (ratchet, springs, spacers, etc).
> > > Maybe the RSX levers are the same inside and I could take parts from one of them? Has anyone
> > > tried anything like this?
> > >
> > I doubt it. In fact, I bet no one has. Why? unlike Campy, you can't take apart an STI lever.
> > Here's a couple of links to probably the closest I've ever seen anyone take one apart. However,
> > neither one "converted" a double to triple. Now, if you had Campy ergo levers, no problem using
> > either....
> >
> >..........well, actually, the whole lever,internal mechanism is/was
> sold as a complete unit thru QBP. That being said,the whole business from an RSX shifter would
> likely go into a 105 housing,which looks identical.But,why bother ...just use the RSX feft if a
> person has one.

Agree, the major problem here is the guy bought a 105(?) double STI 8 spd shifter and now wants to
convert it to triple. Telling him to buy an RSX shifter means he wasted his money, and any "saving"
he thought he was getting by buying this STI shifter. Too bad he didn't do any research before
buying....

jlodberg-<< What I really want to do is keep the levers I have now, and just swap the necessary
internal parts in my levers with the appropriate ones from a triple (ratchet, springs, spacers,
etc). Maybe the RSX levers are the same inside and I could take parts from one of them? Has anyone
tried anything like this? >><BR><BR>

Sorry, cannot convert any shimano lever either to a triple or the right to another speed.

New levers or the Erikkson Gizmo-

<< I am curious about the gizmo you mention. What is Quality Bike Parts? An Internet search isn't so
helpful in this case, cos of course everyone sells quality bike parts! Do they have a website?
>><BR><BR>

QBP is a distributor, and the gizmo is a rotating cam, with a lever on it, that installs onto the
left lever where the cable/housing enters the lever. By rotating the teeny lever, it moves the chain
to the big ring of a triple. Works 'OK'...