Convert Chorus 8 ergo to 9 speed

bin

Guest
Hi

I have a pair of Chorus 8 speed ergo levers. I'd like to convert the
right hand lever (which doesn't shift properly anymore) to current 9
speed. Should I just get part EC-RE063 and the G-springs EC-RE209? And
also the thumb spring EC-RE015? Anything else for the lever?

And can I convert the Chorus 8-speed hubs to 9/10 speed by getting a
chorus or veloce 9 speed cassette body? Not sure of the part number for
this.

Bin

bin wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a pair of Chorus 8 speed ergo levers. I'd like to convert the
> right hand lever (which doesn't shift properly anymore) to current 9
> speed. Should I just get part EC-RE063 and the G-springs EC-RE209? And
> also the thumb spring EC-RE015? Anything else for the lever?
>
> And can I convert the Chorus 8-speed hubs to 9/10 speed by getting a
> chorus or veloce 9 speed cassette body? Not sure of the part number for
> this.
>
> Bin

You need EC-RE-113(9s shift disc from 1997), and new shift springs.
Convert the rear hub to 9/10s using a Chorus freehub body(FH-CH-015),
also from 1997...cogset and chain and go ride.

If you get a Veloce or Athena freehub body, need the axle as well.

I have the disc and freehub body and shift springs-

Disc is $49, freehub body is $95, springs are $5 per, including the
thum button spring if that one is worn.

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 05:52:31 -0800, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> You need EC-RE-113(9s shift disc from 1997),

But won't that give me a 20C 9 speed not 21C 9 speed? Or is there very
little difference in practice?

Bin

bin <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 05:52:31 -0800, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
> > You need EC-RE-113(9s shift disc from 1997),

> But won't that give me a 20C 9 speed not 21C 9 speed? Or is there very
> little difference in practice?

Sorry for sounding thick, but what is 20C and 21C?
What 'Qui..' said is the only, and cheapest way to convert Campy 8sp to
9sp.
Alan.

http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.

bin <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have a pair of Chorus 8 speed ergo levers. I'd like to convert the
> right hand lever (which doesn't shift properly anymore) to current 9
> speed. Should I just get part EC-RE063 and the G-springs EC-RE209? And
> also the thumb spring EC-RE015? Anything else for the lever?

There are 2 parts you need inside the lever, plus any springs that you
want/need to replace.The part Nos. are given in another post, probably
around £25 complete when bought new.I've just noticed that there is only
1 part recommended, but when I did mine, I definitely changed 2 bits, a
larger cog, which is attached to the gear cable, and a smaller diameter
cog. I've got the 2 main parts, as new, but dont have any springs, you
can have them for £10.

> And can I convert the Chorus 8-speed hubs to 9/10 speed by getting a
> chorus or veloce 9 speed cassette body? Not sure of the part number for
> this.

You can, but they are not regularly available in the UK.I tried a few
places a couple of years ago, but no-one had them, (or would try to get
hold of them).I have stuck to 8 speed now, as I have 2 rear wheels in
good condition, but I''l go to 9 when they are worn out.

Pete Biggs <[email protected]> wrote:

> bin wrote:
> > On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 05:52:31 -0800, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> >
> >> You need EC-RE-113(9s shift disc from 1997),

> > But won't that give me a 20C 9 speed not 21C 9 speed? Or is there very
> > little difference in practice?

Being thick here, what is 20C and 21C?

> Peter "Qui si" Chisolm doesn't believe it matters. To give you an idea of
> his standards: he also deosn't think it matters if you use a Shimano 9sp
> hub & cassette with an otherwise Campag 9sp system.

It doesnt.My road bike has run perfectly with a 9sp campag gear train,
and 9sp Shimano wheel/cassette since I built it up from new.

> ~PB ....This reply NOT x-posted to r.b.t! (flame-war avoidance).

You had problems with yours, most people get on fine with this cross-mix
of components.

A.Lee wrote:
> bin <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 05:52:31 -0800, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>>

>>>You need EC-RE-113(9s shift disc from 1997),

>>But won't that give me a 20C 9 speed not 21C 9 speed? Or is there very
>>little difference in practice?

> Sorry for sounding thick, but what is 20C and 21C?

My guess... 20th and 21st century (new and old Campy).

--
Dave "threw me for a loop, too"
dvt at psu dot edu

>> Sorry for sounding thick, but what is 20C and 21C?
>
> My guess... 20th and 21st century (new and old Campy).

Correct. 2001 9 speed is different to 2000 and earlier 9 speed. I wondered
if it would be possible to convert to "new 9 speed" with part EC-RE063
which is a "new 9 speed" spare.

Bin

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 05:52:31 -0800, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> bin wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a pair of Chorus 8 speed ergo levers. I'd like to convert the
>> right hand lever (which doesn't shift properly anymore) to current 9
>> speed. Should I just get part EC-RE063 and the G-springs EC-RE209? And
>> also the thumb spring EC-RE015? Anything else for the lever?
>>
>> And can I convert the Chorus 8-speed hubs to 9/10 speed by getting a
>> chorus or veloce 9 speed cassette body? Not sure of the part number for
>> this.
>>
>> Bin

> You need EC-RE-113(9s shift disc from 1997), and new shift springs.
> Convert the rear hub to 9/10s using a Chorus freehub body(FH-CH-015),
> also from 1997...cogset and chain and go ride.
>
> If you get a Veloce or Athena freehub body, need the axle as well.
>
> I have the disc and freehub body and shift springs-
>
> Disc is $49, freehub body is $95, springs are $5 per, including the
> thum button spring if that one is worn.

Thanks Peter. I presume I can't convert to "new 9 speed" because the 2001+
levers are quite different to the old-style pointed body levers -- ie, the
2001 cog just won't fit. Right?

Bin

bin wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 05:52:31 -0800, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
> > You need EC-RE-113(9s shift disc from 1997),

> But won't that give me a 20C 9 speed not 21C 9 speed? Or is there very
> little difference in practice?
>
> Bin

NO difference in practice. I have been using 2005 rear ders as
replacement ders for any and all Campagnolo shift systems. Like 1992
ERGO and DT 8s shifters. No problem.

So using a 1997 shift disc and any rear der will be fine. No other
shift disc will work anyway. 1998 changed the design, thru bolt, etc,
changed again in 1999 for ERGO brain.

A.Lee wrote:

> You can, but they are not regularly available in the UK.I tried a few
> places a couple of years ago, but no-one had them, (or would try to get
> hold of them).I have stuck to 8 speed now, as I have 2 rear wheels in
> good condition, but I''l go to 9 when they are worn out.
> Alan.
>

> --
> To reply by e-mail, change the ' + ' to 'plus'.
> http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.

I have mailed many things to the UK w/o problem. If ya need something,
email me

http://www.vecchios.com