Convert my '74 Peugeot U08 to a MTB? Or just buy a new MTB?

Nemo Ga

Dec 15, 2004
I haven't ridden my Peugeot U08 for years because I no longer like the racing handlebars and thin tires. I don't want to put a lot on money into a new bike because I not sure how much I'd really ride it. I've been looking at a Honda 26" dual suspension MTB, but my wife asked why I didn't just convert the Peugeot to an MTB. In your opinion would it be cheaper to do that, or should I just buy a new Honda MTB? Thanks for your input.

Nemo Ga said:
I haven't ridden my Peugeot U08 for years because I no longer like the racing handlebars and thin tires. I don't want to put a lot on money into a new bike because I not sure how much I'd really ride it. I've been looking at a Honda 26" dual suspension MTB, but my wife asked why I didn't just convert the Peugeot to an MTB. In your opinion would it be cheaper to do that, or should I just buy a new Honda MTB? Thanks for your input.
Just did a quick google about your bike and it doesn't look like converting it to a MTB is such a hot idea. Most MTB's are 26" so you'll run into some trouble there with brakes. clearance and fit issues etc etc.
But there's still quite a lot of things you can change, and unless you're really stressing the bike through your riding style or your weight it should still work.

Switching to a straight handlebar shouldn't be a problem for your LBS, and with a little consideration you should be able to pull it off by yourself too. Replacing thin tires with wider ones should be possible for anyone who've ever fixed his own flats.
For comfort, try to locate a suspension seat post in the right dimension.
So far this is definitely a cheaper option.

If that gets you going you can look into cyclocross/trekking gear, there you might find a suspension fork that'd fit your bike. Now it's beginning to get pricey. A noname MTB can likely be had for the amount you'll end up paying for a decent fork.

NOTE: Some claim that attaching a suspension fork on to a frame not originally designed for this will wreak havoc with geometry, steering response and will make the frame likely to collapse violently with disastrous results.
I have three bikes that says otherwise :) , but you are hereby warned.

Do yourself a favor, get a new one. If you don't know what you want or if you will ride it, get a used one. Try the local thrift shop. You might have to know what to look for. So visit the LBS and see what they have. Try to get aluminum frame and wheels. The chain, tires, cables and brake pads will have to be changed regularly so don't pay too much attention to those. That way you will reallllly appreciate a new one when the time comes.

Nemo Ga said:

I would buy a new bike. You can get a pretty nice one for around 400$ But you can buy nice ones for less. as far as converting a road bike into a mt. bike, it would be dificult. I would just go wit a new bike. And as far as the honda, basicaly they are just walmart bikes with honda painted on them. Not great componentes, not a great frame. I would go with a good brand, like raleigh, specalized, trek, canondale, though they can be a bit pricy. My firt bike was a ralegh, and they are a great bike for the price. But the question is, will you be commuting or actually going out on the trail and riding. If that is the case I would go with a cross bike. They are a bit more comfortable and do better on the road. Just remember, the beter the components & frame, the more happy you will be. Good luck;)

Nemo Ga said:
I haven't ridden my Peugeot U08 for years because I no longer like the racing handlebars and thin tires. I don't want to put a lot on money into a new bike because I not sure how much I'd really ride it. I've been looking at a Honda 26" dual suspension MTB,

Keep in mind that a full suspension MTB (particularly a budget one) will be a very different animal compared to your Peugeot. It will be considerably heavier, and probably feel sluggish, mushy when you pedal. If all you dislike is handlebar and thin tires, then there are lots of better options than going for a FS MTB.

Nemo Ga said:
It really greatly depends what sort of riding you want to do on it. If you are lookig to ride on very demanding rough singletrack, a fat tyred MTB is the machine of choice. However, if you are more about going for a nice ride in the country on a comfortable bike, then you can probably make a couple of changes to your currnet bike to make it a bit more user friendly. On a bike of your Peugot's vintage, you should have ample clearance for significantly bigger tyres - perhaps up to around 35mm in cross section, go for the biggest which will fit. You also probably have downtube shifters, so to put on a flat bar (or even better IMO a moustache bar - see bars on the bike below) and some non-V mountain bike brake levers (only necessary on the flat bar), for a more upright and comfortable riding position.

Sam

attachment.php