Convert "regular double" to a "compact double"?

kjackbrown

Aug 16, 2005
My bike currently has a "regular" double crank on it and I am about to be doing a lot more hill riding in the near future. I have ALWAYS struggled in the hills and was wondering if it is possible to convert (swap gears) my crankset to a "compact" style.

What I currently have is a (53/39) FSA SLK to go with my Campy (carbon Record) outfitted bike. I would REALLY like to convert it to a 50/34!!!!!!

kjackbrown said:
My bike currently has a "regular" double crank on it and I am about to be doing a lot more hill riding in the near future. I have ALWAYS struggled in the hills and was wondering if it is possible to convert (swap gears) my crankset to a "compact" style.

What I currently have is a (53/39) FSA SLK to go with my Campy (carbon Record) outfitted bike. I would REALLY like to convert it to a 50/34!!!!!!
On a 130mm boltcenter chaingring it's not possible to get lower than a 38 tooth chainring - the chainring bolts would be in the way if you tried to get anything smaller. If you really want a 34 inner ring then a new crank and rings are in your future...

Have you already put on the 13-29 cassette that Campagnolo offers? If not and you're struggling with the lower gears then that may be a better course of action.

Agreed that a new cassette is the cheaper option. However, changing cranks is also possible. Doing both will give you the lowest gearing without going to a triple crank.

You would either need to change crank/rings and botttom bracket or choose a new crank that worked with your existing bottom bracket.

Since the bottom bracket is a relatively cheap part of the mix, it is probably best to just pick the crank you want, and then make the move.

The front derailleur and shifter will be just fine, although the derailleur may need to be lowered a bit, and adjusted.

Cool. I'll look to see what my rear cassette is. I know it is Campy, and the gears are titanium, but that is all I can remember right now. I'll look today when I get home, and post what I have.

Thank you!

kjackbrown said:

New crank required. FSA SLK crank in the compact version. Lower your front derailleur and probably take a link outta your chain, go ride.

I want to go the other way, anybody make a 53/39 that will fit on an Ultegra Compact Crank?

UncleFred said:
I want to go the other way, anybody make a 53/39 that will fit on an Ultegra Compact Crank?

TA makes 110mm BCD rings in those teeth. About $70 for the big one and $45 for the small.

kjackbrown said:
Cool. I'll look to see what my rear cassette is. I know it is Campy, and the gears are titanium, but that is all I can remember right now. I'll look today when I get home, and post what I have.

Thank you!
The rear is a 12-25. I bought a FSA K-Force compact the other day and should have it later this week/early next week. It should help me with the hills a bit.