Convert single speed back to 10. Help Please : )

Adri

Aug 10, 2010
I'm headed to a bike co-op tomorrow. I need to convert my single speed back to a 10. All I need to do is add the front and back derailers, cables and shifters.... I know the people at the bike co-op are supposed to be real helpful, but I'd like to be somewhat knowledgeable of what do do. Can anyone give me some pointers on where to start?

Adri said:
I'm headed to a bike co-op tomorrow. I need to convert my single speed back to a 10. All I need to do is add the front and back derailers, cables and shifters.... I know the people at the bike co-op are supposed to be real helpful, but I'd like to be somewhat knowledgeable of what do do. Can anyone give me some pointers on where to start?
FWIW. Well, I suppose this may be after-the-fact, but if you haven't gone in, yet, and presuming you still have the original parts, then you should presume that you will need a new chain ...

You may need some new cables/housing for the derailleurs ... maybe, not.

The stops on the derailleurs won't need to be adjusted, but the cables will have to be tensioned ...

You should anticpate allowing an hour, but you could put the various parts back on in much less time ...

It could take MORE time to unwrap & rewrap the the handlebars than everything else that needs to be done to the bike.

If you don't have the parts which were originally on the bike, then be prepared to open up your wallet and spend a lot of money for the a "new" rear wheel + parts.