Converted to Carbon

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Smudger, Mar 4, 2003.

  1. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    Right then, I've swapped my stem, bars and seat pillar for carbon components. Now I've done that
    I've put the bike back on its hanger! I must ride it one day. Anyway, the alloy components that the
    carbon ones replaced are on ebay if anyone is interested. They've come off a Ridgeback Genesis Day
    02 so they're fairly decent bits of kit. Go to the link below to see them (you may have to cut and
    pasted it if any carriage returns find their way in). Ignore all the other stuff on auction - that's
    my wife selling things!

    http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&user
    id=ozzot&sort=2&rows=25&since=-1&rd=1

    Tags:

  2. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Andy Cotgreave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Right then, I've swapped my stem, bars and seat pillar for carbon components. Now I've done that
    > > I've put the bike back on its hanger! I must ride it one day. Anyway, the alloy components that
    > > the carbon ones
    >
    > How much weight did you save?
    >
    > Andy

    Not much I don't think but it looks great! Seriously, I suspect I've saved 200 or even 300 grammes.
    The upgrade to carbon bits and from Tiagra CS/BB to Ultegra CS/BB has definately made the bike
    lighter. The chainset is brill though, miles stiffer than Tiagra and that octalink BB is so smooth.

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Smudger <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Not much I don't think but it looks great! Seriously, I suspect I've saved 200 or even 300
    > grammes. The upgrade to carbon bits and from Tiagra CS/BB to Ultegra CS/BB has definately made
    > the bike lighter. The chainset is brill though, miles stiffer than Tiagra and that octalink BB is
    > so smooth.

    I'm not convinced of carbon on mountain bikes. Far too susceptible to impact damage in a crash that
    renders it unsafe.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  4. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    > Smudger <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > Not much I don't think but it looks great! Seriously, I suspect I've saved 200 or even 300
    > > grammes. The upgrade to carbon bits and from Tiagra CS/BB to Ultegra CS/BB has definately made
    > > the bike lighter. The chainset is brill though, miles stiffer than Tiagra and that octalink BB
    > > is so smooth.
    >
    > I'm not convinced of carbon on mountain bikes. Far too susceptible to impact damage in a crash
    > that renders it unsafe.

    ultegra on an mtb?

    (aren't monkey-lite bars quite popular?)

    For the OP - did you weigh before and after? How much weight difference did the various bits get
    you? Which was the most cost effective in grams per GBP?

    cheers, clive

  5. In message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes
    >Smudger <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> Not much I don't think but it looks great! Seriously, I suspect I've saved 200 or even 300
    >> grammes. The upgrade to carbon bits and from Tiagra CS/BB to Ultegra CS/BB has definately made
    >> the bike lighter. The chainset is brill though, miles stiffer than Tiagra and that octalink BB is
    >> so smooth.
    >
    >I'm not convinced of carbon on mountain bikes. Far too susceptible to impact damage in a crash that
    >renders it unsafe.

    That may be true about mountain bikes but the Ridgeway Genesis Day 2 isn't one.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  6. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes
    > >Smudger <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Not much I don't think but it looks great! Seriously, I suspect I've saved 200 or even 300
    > >> grammes. The upgrade to carbon bits and from Tiagra CS/BB to Ultegra CS/BB has definately made
    > >> the bike lighter.
    The
    > >> chainset is brill though, miles stiffer than Tiagra and that octalink
    BB
    > >> is so smooth.
    > >
    > >I'm not convinced of carbon on mountain bikes. Far too susceptible to impact damage in a crash
    > >that renders it unsafe.
    >
    > That may be true about mountain bikes but the Ridgeway Genesis Day 2 isn't one.
    > --
    > Michael MacClancy

    Thank you - the Genesis Day is a flat bar road bike. It would last about five seconds off road!

    On the other question - forgot to weigh before and after. Not very scientific but that's me.

  7. Adam Porter

    Adam Porter Guest

    > > >I'm not convinced of carbon on mountain bikes. Far too susceptible to impact damage in a crash
    > > >that renders it unsafe.
    > >
    > > That may be true about mountain bikes but the Ridgeway Genesis Day 2 isn't one.
    > > --
    > > Michael MacClancy

    Hia, I have a mountain bike with Easton CT2 carbon bars and seat post and have had no problems what
    so ever. I have heard all the scary stories, and I don't hold back at all riding cross country,
    downhill or uphill.

    Full marks for carbon bits from me, especially for looks ;o)

    Adam.

  8. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Adam Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > > That may be true about mountain bikes but the Ridgeway Genesis Day 2 isn't one.
    > > > --
    > > > Michael MacClancy
    > >

    > Hia, I have a mountain bike with Easton CT2 carbon bars and seat post and have had no problems
    > what so ever. I have heard all the scary stories, and
    > don't hold back at all riding cross country, downhill or uphill.
    >
    > Full marks for carbon bits from me, especially for looks ;o)
    >
    > Adam.

    Good news Adam. I've suffered catastrophic failures with aluminium components before. I reckon metal
    is more prone to this sort of failure than carbon. I have heard of carbon forks having problems but
    this has been at the steering tube joint.

  9. Adam Porter

    Adam Porter Guest

    "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Adam Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > Hia, I have a mountain bike with Easton CT2 carbon bars and seat post
    and
    > > have had no problems what so ever. I have heard all the scary stories,
    and
    > > don't hold back at all riding cross country, downhill or uphill.
    > >
    > > Full marks for carbon bits from me, especially for looks ;o)
    > >
    > > Adam.
    > >

    > Good news Adam. I've suffered catastrophic failures with aluminium components before. I reckon
    > metal is more prone to this sort of failure than carbon. I have heard of carbon forks having
    > problems but this has
    been
    > at the steering tube joint.

    Oh, forgot to mention I have Pace suspension forks too, which use carbon lower legs... No problems
    at all with them either.....

    Funnily enough, I've had 3 failures with ally seat posts bending before I spent a fortune on the
    carbon one....

    And before anybody asks, I weigh 13.5 stone, so I aint exactly light on my components ;o)

    Adam.

  10. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > I'm not convinced of carbon on mountain bikes. Far too susceptible to impact damage in a crash
    > that renders it unsafe.

    I wouldn't be too keen on the idea either, but I wonder if full suspension eliminates much of
    the danger?

    --
    ~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt

  11. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

    > That may be true about mountain bikes but the Ridgeway Genesis Day 2 isn't one.

    I stand corrected - I was misled by the Genesis and preconceptions ;-) I have carbon forks on my
    road bike which came with it but I still think the cheaper way to loose that sort of weight is to
    have a dump before you go out or forgo that last cup of coffee or leave unnecessary extras behind.
    Wearing an extra layer of clothing probably negates the weight saving ;-) Of course none of these
    provide the psychological boost that thinking its 200g lighter provide ;-)

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  12. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    >> I'm not convinced of carbon on mountain bikes. Far too susceptible to impact damage in a crash
    >> that renders it unsafe.
    >
    > I wouldn't be too keen on the idea either, but I wonder if full suspension eliminates much of
    > the danger?

    I realise the bike in question wasn't a MTB but [Mrs Merton voice on] let's have a heated debate
    [Mrs Merton voice off] on the subject anyway!

    --
    ~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt

  13. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    > Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > That may be true about mountain bikes but the Ridgeway Genesis Day 2 isn't one.
    >
    > I stand corrected - I was misled by the Genesis and preconceptions ;-) I have carbon forks on my
    > road bike which came with it but I still think the cheaper way to loose that sort of weight is to
    > have a dump before you go
    out
    > or forgo that last cup of coffee or leave unnecessary extras behind. Wearing an extra layer of
    > clothing probably negates the weight saving ;-) Of course none of these provide the psychological
    > boost that thinking its 200g lighter provide ;-)
    >
    > Tony

    To save weight on your food eat burnt toast. Carbon. Geddit?

    > --
    > http://www.raven-family.com
    >
    > "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    > their job."
    >
    > Samuel Goldwyn

  14. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    > >> I'm not convinced of carbon on mountain bikes. Far too susceptible to impact damage in a crash
    > >> that renders it unsafe.
    > >
    > > I wouldn't be too keen on the idea either, but I wonder if full suspension eliminates much of
    > > the danger?
    >
    > I realise the bike in question wasn't a MTB but [Mrs Merton voice on] let's have a heated debate
    > [Mrs Merton voice off] on the subject anyway!
    >
    > --
    > ~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt

    I've put bamboo rims on the wheels too.

  15. Adam Porter

    Adam Porter Guest

    "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > > I wouldn't be too keen on the idea either, but I wonder if full suspension eliminates much of
    > > > the danger?
    > >
    > > I realise the bike in question wasn't a MTB but [Mrs Merton voice on] let's have a heated debate
    > > [Mrs Merton voice off] on the subject anyway!
    > >
    > > --

    Well, before the fs, I had the carbon bits on a very stiff zaskarle frame for about 12 months with
    no problems at all. The switch to full suspension did allow me to ride faster everywhere though ;o)

  16. Web Stalker

    Web Stalker Guest

    i've had a Giant Cadex Carbon MTB for over 10 years, no probs at all, bent the rear dropout on first
    week of ownership and thats it

    even when i managed to flip it following Joe Williams (welsh national champion, mid 90s) on a
    downhill in the forest of dean, when my flight tit saddle managed to have the top ripped off and i
    tore a ligament in my shoulder

    them were the days

    > >> I'm not convinced of carbon on mountain bikes. Far too susceptible to impact damage in a crash
    > >> that renders it unsafe.
    > >
    > > I wouldn't be too keen on the idea either, but I wonder if full suspension eliminates much of
    > > the danger?
    >
    > I realise the bike in question wasn't a MTB but [Mrs Merton voice on] let's have a heated debate
    > [Mrs Merton voice off] on the subject anyway!
    >
    > --
    > ~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt

  17. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "web stalker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > i've had a Giant Cadex Carbon MTB for over 10 years, no probs at all, bent the rear dropout on
    > first week of ownership and thats it
    >
    > even when i managed to flip it following Joe Williams (welsh national champion, mid 90s) on a
    > downhill in the forest of dean, when my flight tit saddle managed to have the top ripped off and i
    > tore a ligament in my shoulder
    >
    > them were the days
    >

    > "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > > I wouldn't be too keen on the idea either, but I wonder if full suspension eliminates much of
    > > > the danger?
    > >
    > > I realise the bike in question wasn't a MTB but [Mrs Merton voice on] let's have a heated debate
    > > [Mrs Merton voice off] on the subject anyway!
    > >
    > > --
    > > ~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt

    See my new thread called Arggghhh Aluminium for an update on this Carbon stuff.

  18. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Smudger <[email protected]> wrote:

    > To save weight on your food eat burnt toast. Carbon. Geddit?

    Gruyere is also quite good - has weight saving holes pre drilled in it ;-)

    Tony