Converted to Carbon

Smudger

Guest
Right then, I've swapped my stem, bars and seat pillar for carbon components. Now I've done that
I've put the bike back on its hanger! I must ride it one day. Anyway, the alloy components that the
carbon ones replaced are on ebay if anyone is interested. They've come off a Ridgeback Genesis Day
02 so they're fairly decent bits of kit. Go to the link below to see them (you may have to cut and
pasted it if any carriage returns find their way in). Ignore all the other stuff on auction - that's
my wife selling things!

http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&user
id=ozzot&sort=2&rows=25&since=-1&rd=1

"Andy Cotgreave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Right then, I've swapped my stem, bars and seat pillar for carbon components. Now I've done that
> > I've put the bike back on its hanger! I must ride it one day. Anyway, the alloy components that
> > the carbon ones
>
> How much weight did you save?
>
> Andy

Not much I don't think but it looks great! Seriously, I suspect I've saved 200 or even 300 grammes.
The upgrade to carbon bits and from Tiagra CS/BB to Ultegra CS/BB has definately made the bike
lighter. The chainset is brill though, miles stiffer than Tiagra and that octalink BB is so smooth.

Smudger <[email protected]> wrote:

> Not much I don't think but it looks great! Seriously, I suspect I've saved 200 or even 300
> grammes. The upgrade to carbon bits and from Tiagra CS/BB to Ultegra CS/BB has definately made
> the bike lighter. The chainset is brill though, miles stiffer than Tiagra and that octalink BB is
> so smooth.

I'm not convinced of carbon on mountain bikes. Far too susceptible to impact damage in a crash that
renders it unsafe.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
their job."

Samuel Goldwyn

> Smudger <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Not much I don't think but it looks great! Seriously, I suspect I've saved 200 or even 300
> > grammes. The upgrade to carbon bits and from Tiagra CS/BB to Ultegra CS/BB has definately made
> > the bike lighter. The chainset is brill though, miles stiffer than Tiagra and that octalink BB
> > is so smooth.
>
> I'm not convinced of carbon on mountain bikes. Far too susceptible to impact damage in a crash
> that renders it unsafe.

ultegra on an mtb?

(aren't monkey-lite bars quite popular?)

For the OP - did you weigh before and after? How much weight difference did the various bits get
you? Which was the most cost effective in grams per GBP?

cheers, clive

In message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes
>Smudger <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Not much I don't think but it looks great! Seriously, I suspect I've saved 200 or even 300
>> grammes. The upgrade to carbon bits and from Tiagra CS/BB to Ultegra CS/BB has definately made
>> the bike lighter. The chainset is brill though, miles stiffer than Tiagra and that octalink BB is
>> so smooth.
>
>I'm not convinced of carbon on mountain bikes. Far too susceptible to impact damage in a crash that
>renders it unsafe.

That may be true about mountain bikes but the Ridgeway Genesis Day 2 isn't one.
--
Michael MacClancy

"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes
> >Smudger <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Not much I don't think but it looks great! Seriously, I suspect I've saved 200 or even 300
> >> grammes. The upgrade to carbon bits and from Tiagra CS/BB to Ultegra CS/BB has definately made
> >> the bike lighter.
The
> >> chainset is brill though, miles stiffer than Tiagra and that octalink
BB
> >> is so smooth.
> >
> >I'm not convinced of carbon on mountain bikes. Far too susceptible to impact damage in a crash
> >that renders it unsafe.
>
> That may be true about mountain bikes but the Ridgeway Genesis Day 2 isn't one.
> --
> Michael MacClancy

Thank you - the Genesis Day is a flat bar road bike. It would last about five seconds off road!

On the other question - forgot to weigh before and after. Not very scientific but that's me.

> > >I'm not convinced of carbon on mountain bikes. Far too susceptible to impact damage in a crash
> > >that renders it unsafe.
> >
> > That may be true about mountain bikes but the Ridgeway Genesis Day 2 isn't one.
> > --
> > Michael MacClancy

Hia, I have a mountain bike with Easton CT2 carbon bars and seat post and have had no problems what
so ever. I have heard all the scary stories, and I don't hold back at all riding cross country,
downhill or uphill.

Full marks for carbon bits from me, especially for looks ;o)

Adam.

"Adam Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > > That may be true about mountain bikes but the Ridgeway Genesis Day 2 isn't one.
> > > --
> > > Michael MacClancy
> >

> Hia, I have a mountain bike with Easton CT2 carbon bars and seat post and have had no problems
> what so ever. I have heard all the scary stories, and
> don't hold back at all riding cross country, downhill or uphill.
>
> Full marks for carbon bits from me, especially for looks ;o)
>
> Adam.

Good news Adam. I've suffered catastrophic failures with aluminium components before. I reckon metal
is more prone to this sort of failure than carbon. I have heard of carbon forks having problems but
this has been at the steering tube joint.

"Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Adam Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > Hia, I have a mountain bike with Easton CT2 carbon bars and seat post
and
> > have had no problems what so ever. I have heard all the scary stories,
and
> > don't hold back at all riding cross country, downhill or uphill.
> >
> > Full marks for carbon bits from me, especially for looks ;o)
> >
> > Adam.
> >

> Good news Adam. I've suffered catastrophic failures with aluminium components before. I reckon
> metal is more prone to this sort of failure than carbon. I have heard of carbon forks having
> problems but this has
been
> at the steering tube joint.

Oh, forgot to mention I have Pace suspension forks too, which use carbon lower legs... No problems
at all with them either.....

Funnily enough, I've had 3 failures with ally seat posts bending before I spent a fortune on the
carbon one....

And before anybody asks, I weigh 13.5 stone, so I aint exactly light on my components ;o)

Adam.

Tony Raven wrote:
> I'm not convinced of carbon on mountain bikes. Far too susceptible to impact damage in a crash
> that renders it unsafe.

I wouldn't be too keen on the idea either, but I wonder if full suspension eliminates much of
the danger?

--
~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt

Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

> That may be true about mountain bikes but the Ridgeway Genesis Day 2 isn't one.

I stand corrected - I was misled by the Genesis and preconceptions ;-) I have carbon forks on my
road bike which came with it but I still think the cheaper way to loose that sort of weight is to
have a dump before you go out or forgo that last cup of coffee or leave unnecessary extras behind.
Wearing an extra layer of clothing probably negates the weight saving ;-) Of course none of these
provide the psychological boost that thinking its 200g lighter provide ;-)

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
their job."

Samuel Goldwyn

>> I'm not convinced of carbon on mountain bikes. Far too susceptible to impact damage in a crash
>> that renders it unsafe.
>
> I wouldn't be too keen on the idea either, but I wonder if full suspension eliminates much of
> the danger?

I realise the bike in question wasn't a MTB but [Mrs Merton voice on] let's have a heated debate
[Mrs Merton voice off] on the subject anyway!

--
~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt

> Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > That may be true about mountain bikes but the Ridgeway Genesis Day 2 isn't one.
>
> I stand corrected - I was misled by the Genesis and preconceptions ;-) I have carbon forks on my
> road bike which came with it but I still think the cheaper way to loose that sort of weight is to
> have a dump before you go
out
> or forgo that last cup of coffee or leave unnecessary extras behind. Wearing an extra layer of
> clothing probably negates the weight saving ;-) Of course none of these provide the psychological
> boost that thinking its 200g lighter provide ;-)
>
> Tony

To save weight on your food eat burnt toast. Carbon. Geddit?

> --
> http://www.raven-family.com
>
> "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
> their job."
>
> Samuel Goldwyn

> >> I'm not convinced of carbon on mountain bikes. Far too susceptible to impact damage in a crash
> >> that renders it unsafe.
> >
> > I wouldn't be too keen on the idea either, but I wonder if full suspension eliminates much of
> > the danger?
>
> I realise the bike in question wasn't a MTB but [Mrs Merton voice on] let's have a heated debate
> [Mrs Merton voice off] on the subject anyway!
>
> --
> ~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt

I've put bamboo rims on the wheels too.

"Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > > I wouldn't be too keen on the idea either, but I wonder if full suspension eliminates much of
> > > the danger?
> >
> > I realise the bike in question wasn't a MTB but [Mrs Merton voice on] let's have a heated debate
> > [Mrs Merton voice off] on the subject anyway!
> >
> > --

Well, before the fs, I had the carbon bits on a very stiff zaskarle frame for about 12 months with
no problems at all. The switch to full suspension did allow me to ride faster everywhere though ;o)

i've had a Giant Cadex Carbon MTB for over 10 years, no probs at all, bent the rear dropout on first
week of ownership and thats it

even when i managed to flip it following Joe Williams (welsh national champion, mid 90s) on a
downhill in the forest of dean, when my flight *** saddle managed to have the top ripped off and i
tore a ligament in my shoulder

them were the days

"web stalker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> i've had a Giant Cadex Carbon MTB for over 10 years, no probs at all, bent the rear dropout on
> first week of ownership and thats it
>
> even when i managed to flip it following Joe Williams (welsh national champion, mid 90s) on a
> downhill in the forest of dean, when my flight *** saddle managed to have the top ripped off and i
> tore a ligament in my shoulder
>
> them were the days
>

> "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > > I wouldn't be too keen on the idea either, but I wonder if full suspension eliminates much of
> > > the danger?
> >
> > I realise the bike in question wasn't a MTB but [Mrs Merton voice on] let's have a heated debate
> > [Mrs Merton voice off] on the subject anyway!
> >
> > --
> > ~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt

See my new thread called Arggghhh Aluminium for an update on this Carbon stuff.

Smudger <[email protected]> wrote:

> To save weight on your food eat burnt toast. Carbon. Geddit?

Gruyere is also quite good - has weight saving holes pre drilled in it ;-)

Tony